Some people are so rude!

I think this is great and admirable! I am a 23 year old female adult and some would even say a feminist!! haha And I don't think this is sexist at all!! My parents always taught us..boys and girls...that we should stand up and give a pregnant woman/senior citizen (regardless of gender)/ someone holding a baby a seat!! I got your point!! While I agree that you can never know what someones disabilities are, and saying something out loud might not be the greatest idea, it's good to know parents are still teaching their children values that can lessen the rude people in the world!! :thumbsup2

I whole heartedly agree!

Jennifer

Several years of visiting the World, we've had the pleasure of experiencing several forms of rudeness. Here are a few of our favorites:
1) Putting towels down on several chairs around the pool at the Poly, and then leaving for several hours;
2) smoking during the Splash Mountain ride;
3) group of several people riding the boat in front of us, laughing and talking extremely loud during Pirates of the Caribbean;
4) people going and holding tables before they get their food at extremely crowded counter service restaurants;
5) people seeing how few clothes they can wear on hot days without getting arrested. I guess their seeing how many tattoos they can expose;
6) of course, the ever present cutting in line.

I'm sure there were many more, but are just a few of our favorites.
IMO, there is nothing wrong with #4 on your list. I'd rather see people do that than have the whole dang family in line. Of course, when they do that, people decide last minute what they want to eat.:rolleyes: Finding someplace to sit first is the smart thing to do. Why on earth some people don't grasp this is beyond me.:confused3

Everything else I agree with.

Teaching a child manners is admirable. Not many people do that anymore. I think in the right circumstances these manners sh ould be displayed, however I dont think Disney is one of them.

Pregnant, disabled, old, or carrying a child - you made a choice to go to Disney. We are ALL tired. We ALL want to sit. We ALL have the same rights to sitting.

Going to Disney is not some everyday adventure where you just give things up for others. We all know that we'll be tired and worn out before w ever get there. Its not like you walked 30 feet to a bus empty handed while another lady walked a half a mile, carrying a toddler and you have more energy than she at that point (such as may happen in any city on any day). EVERYONE is tired and it should be treated on a first come first served basis. Everyone has the option to wait for another bus/monorail/whatever.

If a pregnant mom gets on a full bus.....she made a choice to. Im not saying manners should play a role everywhere besides DIsney....manners should be practiced at DIsney too......but I dont think not giving up your seat because someone climbed on to an already crowded bus is bad manners.

Because of the sheer volume of people at Disney, is not even plausible to expect people to be giving up their seats. To me....THATS bad manners.....given the fact that I bet no one leaves the parks with enough energy to skip, jump, or frolick to their destination.

Just because you arent pregnant or disables doesnt mean you arent hurting. If those people are at a groery store, at work, or somehing like that....thats different...we have to do those things. We dont have to go to Disney.

The problem today is that manners have become expected from others and we get mad when our expectations aren't met, versus simply appreciating manners when we do see them. Its like the old fly/honey/vinegar saying.

Its like a first date - if you go in with no expectations, there will be no disappointments.

IMO, there is nothing wrong with #4 on your list. I'd rather see people do that than have the whole dang family in line. Of course, when they do that, people decide last minute what they want to eat.:rolleyes: Finding someplace to sit first is the smart thing to do. Why on earth some people don't grasp this is beyond me.:confused3

Everything else I agree with.

I'm glad it wasn't just me that didn't get it. My friend has 5 children, ages 11 to 1 yrs old. I can't imagine having all of them waiting in line rather than one of the parents going to find a table with the kids and saving not only a little time, but a little sanity for the rest of the line!

I raise my DS8 to have old fashioned values. If all the seats are taken up on a bus and a lady or younger child gets on, he and I get up, stand, and let the lady/ladies sit. It seems like every trip we have to WDW, I usually have to speak outloud to my son, so everyone can hear me. It usually happens when an older woman, or a lady holding a baby gets on the bus, and some perfectly capable guy won't get his lazy butt up for her. I then say to my son rather loudly, "See son, that is not what you do when a lady comes on the bus. You should get up and let her have the seat." Usually about 3-4 guys jump up then.:thumbsup2:cool1:

my sons will also be raised to give there seat to anone less able than them, I believe in this value too, and having been the woman with a young baby in arms made to stand on the bus I kno its difficult

Yes you are raising your son to be extremely sexist! ANY able bodied person man or woman should get up for an elderly or disabled person not just the men. I won't go so far as say so for all women with babies because some of them get on knowing the bus is full. A healthy woman doesn't need a seat any more than a healthy man.

Really...have we advanced so far that politness is sexist...where is the chivalry gone....to me I would rather my kids be kind and open a door, give up a seat, SHARE...than worry about being sexist...a woman can kindly refuse...I find it shameful that anyone would even consider this sexist...I am sorry I was raised to respect women and I will raise my boys to be the same way...

So my 13 year old should sit in a seat while a woman with a baby stands holding the baby....bullcrap...he will get up or get a knot in his head...if she refuses then he can sit back down....I would rather have 90% of the tram think highly of him and wont worry about the other 10%..

Sexist....gee wiz....:confused3

Good God... ANOTHER thread? There is the exact SAME thread about 36 pages long (as I am sure there are 800 other threads the same) about three threads down.

Everyone thinks everyone else is rude... blah, blah, blah. I am not rude because... blah, blah, blah. Strollers, buses, last minute parade comers, smelly people, people who look at you... blah, blah, blah ECV's table savers, kids suck, blah, blah... adults get treated bad because... blah, blah, families with kids get treated bad because blah, blah blah.

These threads always spiral into the same 10 things getting hashed over again and againg.

Hows about everyone just stays home and then me and my family can enjoy WDW all to ourselves. That way no one gets hurt feelings.

We saw (and SMELLED) that on our last trip up to the World.

And the usual rudenesses she was talking about such as holding a place in line for the extended family, uncontrollable kids, etc.

EJKorvette mka Evan

Any time you have crowds of people from different backgrounds you are going to experience rudeness or inflict rudeness on someone else. I still regret that I grouched during the parade when my husband unwittingly gave away my seat because I got up 5 mins. before the parade was to start to throw away a drink cup and a couple swooped in and sat next to him while his head was turned the other way. The lesson learned here is everybody wants to enjoy the park too and there's really no guarantee in terms of "saving a seat". I was actually really ticked at my husband for giving away my seat causing me to have to squeeze in on the other side of him - and stupidly I let it damper my enthusiasm for the parade. I've learned at Disney it's really hard to have any personal space around you. I'd love to hear if anyone has a strategy (short of farting in public) that works for ensuring more than an inch between you and sweaty lurking guy - you know the one - the guy who shows up 2 mins before the parade and wants to breathe down your neck or push in beside you after you've been sitting and waiting an hour to get a good view?

It was during a trip up to the World with another friend about eight years ago.

We wanted a good view of the parade, and claimed our spaces at about two. This was at The Magic Kingdom, in the square right when you come in, over where the trees are facing right as you are leaving the park. We had a solid group of people waiting behind the strings, but we left each other enough space. We didn't know each other, that is, we didn't come as a whole group of people, but bonded together as a bunch of strangers.

Of course as parade time came by people wanted to squeeze in between us. We stood firm and said "Where were you an hour earlier?" Most people just walked away. Some wanted to make an issue of it. One woman tried to guilt us into letting her and her stroller in by insinuating that we were racist. One guy looked like he wanted to fight about it.

We just stood together. Asking people where they were an hour earlier got the message across to all but a few boneheads.

If any boneheads are reading, please learn the lesson.

EJKorvette mka Evan

It was during a trip up to the World with another friend about eight years ago.

We wanted a good view of the parade, and claimed our spaces at about two. This was at The Magic Kingdom, in the square right when you come in, over where the trees are facing right as you are leaving the park. We had a solid group of people waiting behind the strings, but we left each other enough space. We didn't know each other, that is, we didn't come as a whole group of people, but bonded together as a bunch of strangers.

Of course as parade time came by people wanted to squeeze in between us. We stood firm and said "Where were you an hour earlier?" Most people just walked away. Some wanted to make an issue of it. One woman tried to guilt us into letting her and her stroller in by insinuating that we were racist. One guy looked like he wanted to fight about it.

We just stood together. Asking people where they were an hour earlier got the message across to all but a few boneheads.

If any boneheads are reading, please learn the lesson.

EJKorvette mka Evan

Nicely put! Seems like everyone handled themselves like adults!

This happened to me on several occasions when Rachel was a baby, and as she got older she still had to be held, since she did not walk until after age 2. It can be dangerous holding a heavier baby and trying to hold the rail. One time we were on a bus when there were several men who just sat and watched me stand with her. Before the bus could move I quickly put her between two very small children both taking up two big seats, I was glared at by the girls' father and grandfather (both sitting comfortably in their seats), their mother and grandmother, but I didn't care, my baby's safety was foremost in my mind. Yes, I stood the rest of the trip to the park, but I decided then and there it was time to order the wheelchair/stroller. Every trip since then she and I board first, before any rude men are allowed to take up all the seats!! Sweet!!

Well, I happen to think that if you (in general) have a family member that cannot stand on a bus, then you need to be the one taking care of their safety, and not putting them in that position. I know on a trip where I was worried about my mom standing on a bus I gave great thought to renting a car. She insisted she would be ok (and she was). But if I had thought it was truly dangerous for her to stand on a bus, then there would have been no choice.

I can't understand putting a family member into a situation where they have to depend on strangers for their safety and comfort. If I couldn't take care of them and make sure they are safe, why should total strangers?

No one has to use the busses. It is a choice, and for some people it is a bad choice. I think it is just as rude to get on a bus and expect someone to give you a seat as it is to not offer one if you see someone (of any gender!) struggling to stand.

Teaching a child manners is admirable. Not many people do that anymore. I think in the right circumstances these manners sh ould be displayed, however I dont think Disney is one of them.

Pregnant, disabled, old, or carrying a child - you made a choice to go to Disney. We are ALL tired. We ALL want to sit. We ALL have the same rights to sitting.

Going to Disney is not some everyday adventure where you just give things up for others. We all know that we'll be tired and worn out before w ever get there. Its not like you walked 30 feet to a bus empty handed while another lady walked a half a mile, carrying a toddler and you have more energy than she at that point (such as may happen in any city on any day). EVERYONE is tired and it should be treated on a first come first served basis. Everyone has the option to wait for another bus/monorail/whatever.

If a pregnant mom gets on a full bus.....she made a choice to. Im not saying manners should play a role everywhere besides DIsney....manners should be practiced at DIsney too......but I dont think not giving up your seat because someone climbed on to an already crowded bus is bad manners.

Because of the sheer volume of people at Disney, is not even plausible to expect people to be giving up their seats. To me....THATS bad manners.....given the fact that I bet no one leaves the parks with enough energy to skip, jump, or frolick to their destination.

Just because you arent pregnant or disables doesnt mean you arent hurting. If those people are at a groery store, at work, or somehing like that....thats different...we have to do those things. We dont have to go to Disney.

The problem today is that manners have become expected from others and we get mad when our expectations aren't met, versus simply appreciating manners when we do see them. Its like the old fly/honey/vinegar saying.

Its like a first date - if you go in with no expectations, there will be no disappointments.

Hmmm...interesting insights coming from the poster that started a now closed thread regarding too many strollers in the MK. I guess in certain cases good manners are subjective.:rolleyes1

I totally disagree with you. I have never ridden a WDW bus where I was so tired that I couldn't stand for the ride back. The only exception was when I was holding a small child. And it's not because I was tired, it's because it's almost impossible to stand on those buses while holding a baby.

So, it's not really a big deal for my family and I to stand up and give our seat away. In fact, my ds9 usually doesn't even sit down when he gets on a WDW bus. He automatically just finds a place to stand. He'll sit if the bus has empty seats when it takes off, but otherwise he just stands. He's been doing this since he was around 7. He's such a little gentleman!!! :)

I know people are tired from being in the parks all day, and everyone is crabby, hot, and ready for sleep. I get that! But I think it's just common courtesy and kindness to offer a seat to someone who needs it more than I do. Hey, think of holding onto the bars on the bus as it's swinging around the corners as another disney ride! lol.

One of my jobs as a parent is to teach my children manners, not other people. When we are on a crowded bus, my DH will stand and me and my kids will squeeze into two seats. If there is someone who appears as though they could really use a seat, my boys will stand on either side of their dad. I will quietly tell them that they should stand so that person over there can have their seat. I don't see any reason to voice this so loudly that anyone else hears our conversation. By doing so, it would make me rude. I can only control mine and my kids, to some extent, actions.

To the OP, that stinks that you were separated from your niece for a brief moment. Thankfuly you were able to squeeze your way in.

Well, I happen to think that if you (in general) have a family member that cannot stand on a bus, then you need to be the one taking care of their safety, and not putting them in that position. I know on a trip where I was worried about my mom standing on a bus I gave great thought to renting a car. She insisted she would be ok (and she was). But if I had thought it was truly dangerous for her to stand on a bus, then there would have been no choice.

I can't understand putting a family member into a situation where they have to depend on strangers for their safety and comfort. If I couldn't take care of them and make sure they are safe, why should total strangers?

No one has to use the busses. It is a choice, and for some people it is a bad choice. I think it is just as rude to get on a bus and expect someone to give you a seat as it is to not offer one if you see someone (of any gender!) struggling to stand.

I agree. If you have to use the transportation system then don't get on a bus with standing room only if you can't stand! sounds pretty simple to me. If you need a seat wait till a bus comes with a seat, till then pull up a seat (be it a bench or the ground) and wait till the next one comes along.

One of my jobs as a parent is to teach my children manners, not other people. When we are on a crowded bus, my DH will stand and me and my kids will squeeze into two seats. If there is someone who appears as though they could really use a seat, my boys will stand on either side of their dad. I will quietly tell them that they should stand so that person over there can have their seat. I don't see any reason to voice this so loudly that anyone else hears our conversation. By doing so, it would make me rude. I can only control mine and my kids, to some extent, actions.

To the OP, that stinks that you were separated from your niece for a brief moment. Thankfuly you were able to squeeze your way in.

You won't teach your daughter the same?

We go to WDW each year and after the first two times with our kids, we made the decision to drive to the parks each day. WDW is a magical place for us and it seemed the buses always ended that magic for us. On our third trip, we drove to the park each morning, parked close, and at the end of the day skipped to the parking lot after exiting the tram. Plus, we knew we had a seat to ourselves in the car and the kids could spead out and sleep back to the resort. I know everyone can't drive, but it sure helped us get over some of the "magic stealers" we saw. Plus, on our last trip, we made up our mind not to let others steal it from us. We focused on each other and not those around us. I used to fly off the handle all the time and get upset about small things, but after losing my dad in an accident before our last trip that he was supposed to go on, it put things in perspective. Life is too short to worry about what is going on around you, focus on your family and the precious time you have with them. Please don't think I am being judgemental, just speaking from my heart.

We go to WDW each year and after the first two times with our kids, we made the decision to drive to the parks each day. WDW is a magical place for us and it seemed the buses always ended that magic for us. On our third trip, we drove to the park each morning, parked close, and at the end of the day skipped to the parking lot after exiting the tram. Plus, we knew we had a seat to ourselves in the car and the kids could spead out and sleep back to the resort. I know everyone can't drive, but it sure helped us get over some of the "magic stealers" we saw. Plus, on our last trip, we made up our mind not to let others steal it from us. We focused on each other and not those around us. I used to fly off the handle all the time and get upset about small things, but after losing my dad in an accident before our last trip that he was supposed to go on, it put things in perspective. Life is too short to worry about what is going on around you, focus on your family and the precious time you have with them. Please don't think I am being judgemental, just speaking from my heart.

:flower3:This is what we do also. Plus, my mom rides an ecv there, and it is much easier to deal with in a car than on the bus.

Just have to vent about this rude man boarding the trams at Epcot on Sat. night. we were in our line area waiting to board the trams. I had taken my niece with me and she boarded the tram. somehow this man and two little boys PUSHED me aside (knocking me over was more like it) separating me and my niece and proceeded to sit down between me and my niece and she was sitting on the end of the row not aware that she was suppose to be on the inside. I say, hey wait! I have to sit next to my niece and he says, I have to sit next to my kids. I say, we were here first, and you broke between us. he says he doesn't care! so, I climb my way over them stepping on them and squish my way through almost sitting on his little boy. he grabbed his kid out of the way and moved over then. :laughing: I DID sit next to my niece after almost getting into it with this man. I'm not a mean woman, but he came pretty close to getting cursed out at in front of everybody that night.

I guess what gets to me is that this man had zero respect for a woman with a young girl. what a shame. he didn't care one bit about anyone else. just himself and getting to his car with HIS kids.

he sure set a fine example for his sons that night. push a woman aside if she gets in your way. :rolleyes:

It shouldn't be about being a woman but all people in general. If everyone took their turn and got on the tram, bus, train, plane etc. things would go much smoother. But there is always someone who is more important than everyone else that cuts in line or doesn't feel think need to wait for anyone. I used to be quiet when people do this but not anymore. If you are rude you get rude back at ya.
A little courtesy goes a long way.

This thread can go on forever. Yes, people are rude.

Let's all try not to be rude.

By the way I never knew you weren't supposed to get a table at a CS while hubby got the food. My child has autism and this is so much easier, if she is sitting at a table she is not trying to grab the Mickey bars. I'll be more conscience of this and take her somewhere not crowded where it is not an issue.

I do stay at the Contemporary when I can to eliminate riding buses etc. With the high costs of Deluxe resorts this is not easy for most families.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter