Some good news for SeaWorld

ahoyle

Mouseketeer
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/la-fi-seaworld-20150606-story.html#page=1

Hopefully this is the beginning of the turnaround for them!

After falling 4.2% in 2014, attendance rose 5.6% in the first three months of this year at its 11 theme parks and attractions, although SeaWorld noted an early Easter helped boost crowds. Revenue rose just 1% because the company had to use "promotional offerings" to help attract visitors, who spent less on average than a year earlier.

I think they are still struggling. They have been offering buy one get one free annual passes like every 6 months and this year preschool age kids (under 5) get a free annual pass. They are basically bribing people to come in.

I think they are still struggling. They have been offering buy one get one free annual passes like every 6 months and this year preschool age kids (under 5) get a free annual pass. They are basically bribing people to come in.

Just a guess, but that could be why the article references said promotions, and revenue only being up 1% vs a 5% rise in attendance.

Theres no federal legislation pending for that? Plus you want to prevent SeaWorld from capturing marine mammals? Glad your up to date on things.
They only need to amend the current Marine Mammal Protection Act (16 USC 1361-1407). SeaWorld is already prohibited from capturing marine mammals except by permit.

They can get Japanese whalers to catch whatever they need, under the guise of "scientific study" :idea:

But seriously ... it's a great park. It could have a marine focus without keeping whales. But it's a bit of a slippery slope. It's cruel to keep whales that swim over 1000s of kilometers in a 100-meter pool, no argument. Isn't it also cruel to keep dolphins and polar bears that range over 100s of km in proportionally sized enclosures? Or seals and walruses? I'm saying this even though I loved the seal and walrus show, and the seals in the static display didn't look at all unhappy. The polar bear looked kind of depressed though. The manatees look fairly dumb and easy to please, not much cruelty happening there, and there is a rescue/conservation angle.

OK, I've made up my mind. Get rid of the cetaceans and the bear, keep the seals, manatees, penguins, fish and turtles. And keep building great rides.

They can get Japanese whalers to catch whatever they need, under the guise of "scientific study" :idea:
One of the problems is that the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, the U.S. Coast Guard and the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration all share enforcement authority and each has their own enforcement priorities. But in consideration of the restructuring and management shakeup at SeaWorld combined with their struggling stock price, heavy debt and the departure of several major corporate sponsors it seems clear that it's just a matter of time before they close.

One of the problems is that the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, the U.S. Coast Guard and the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration all share enforcement authority and each has their own enforcement priorities. But in consideration of the restructuring and management shakeup at SeaWorld combined with their struggling stock price, heavy debt and the departure of several major corporate sponsors it seems clear that it's just a matter of time before they close.

And then the whales will have a fantastic new life in the ocean... NOT!

Sea World is still in pretty bad shape. A 5% increase is great, but it is a whole lot worse after shedding thousands of guests in the first place. Also keep in mind that temporary pops in attendance due to price cuts/promotions don't represent a sustainable way of running a business. What happens when the initial group of interested locals have had their discounted fun? They stop going, or they go as usual. The novelty wears off and they keep declining.

Sea World is on a scary path that a new ride isn't going to solve...

But it's a bit of a slippery slope
Exactly. I'm worried for the future of Zoos and Aquariums everywhere.

I had the unique opportunity of going up to Washington and getting on a whale watching boat. I was able to get pretty close to some Orcas for a few minutes. Very cool experience, and something that I won't soon forget.

My issue is how many people are going to be able to take a boat tour in Washington? Sea World is way more accessible for millions of guests who will not just catch glimpses of the whales (or maybe not at all), but see them in all their glory.

Is it better to release a handful of whales in captivity who will help tens of millions of people learn to appreciate Orcas? (They're basically sacrificial lambs, is that moral?) Or rid the world of whale captivity and make the barrier of entry much higher to see them? Creating a whole population of young people who've never seen an Orca and don't care about their conservation.

Difficult questions that I'm glad I don't have to answer. Over my head.

More inconsistency from that side, they are always preaching about the "greater good" and have an issue with a few whales being in captivity while millions of people come to appreciate their majesty. The debate about whale captivy is indeed fair but that isn't what that hit piece was about, it was about the director getting awards and acclaim from her ultra politically correct piers

Last edited:
And then the whales will have a fantastic new life in the ocean... NOT!
SeaWorld is moving its focus away from the display of marine mammals to thrill rides. It's now just a matter of if they can continue to keep their creditors happy while they make the shift. If not, they'll go bankrupt. If they're able to stay afloat, they'll gradually phase out the marine mammals.

Hopefully they can keep the seals and the seal show, because to me those animals really looked fine. Also the manatees. It's only the whales, dolphins and polar bear who seem to me to really have a lousy life.

They might not be able to rehabilitate and release those animals but they can phase them out or sell them to good facilities which promise not to try to breed them.

I'm pulling for SeaWorld because it's a great park ... and when teamed up with USF/IOA on the Orlando FlexTicket it's a good bargain and good competition for Disney.

If this affects zoos then we can all expect a lot more creatures to go extinct much sooner. Most zoos are doing good work and it's a shame if a group of zealots interferes with that.

I agree with that, but there are some species that just cannot do well in captivity. Many zoos keep animals that would otherwise be in a lot of danger were they in the wild, which is a bit different. It's also easier to replicate land conditions than sea conditions.

I agree with that, but there are some species that just cannot do well in captivity. Many zoos keep animals that would otherwise be in a lot of danger were they in the wild, which is a bit different. It's also easier to replicate land conditions than sea conditions.
I agree with your points. However there are exceptions such as the manatees. They are in a world of trouble thanks to people and many facilities including SeaWorld are trying to help them.

What about sharks? No one mentions them but they are awfully restricted in aquarium tanks too.

I agree with your points. However there are exceptions such as the manatees. They are in a world of trouble thanks to people and many facilities including SeaWorld are trying to help them.

What about sharks? No one mentions them but they are awfully restricted in aquarium tanks too.

Hard to disagree there, except to say that they're clearly different socially than orcas. Not saying it's "good," but rather "less awful."

I also think Seaworld allow people to see and learn about marine life up close and personal. I also read somewhere that most of Seaworld's marine life was bred in captivity or rescued from life threatening situations. I think there is more public buy-in on protecting our oceans when people can see what lives there. Seaworld educates their guests.

On a side note, I also find it interesting that Seaworld, a company practically destroyed by Blackfish, is experienced a 5% increase in attendance. Kind of makes me think that all of the theme parks, including Disney, are enjoying an increase in tourism. Disney is just riding the wave along with everyone else.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter