Some days I wish I could tell them what I am thinking!

Mkaz

<font color=deeppink>Well, bust my buttons! That's
{{{SIGH}}}

But I can't. My husband is a contractor, so when people call I have to be nice. I really wish some conversations could go more like this:

Caller 1 (calling at 11:30 am): Is your husband home?
Me: No, I am sorry he is working right now. May I take a message for him?
Caller: Well, I figured he would be home since I couldn't reach him on his cell
Me: I am sorry, he isn't.
Caller: Where is he?
Me saying what I really want: My tracking device is broken right now, so I really can't say for sure!

Caller 2: Is your husband home?
Me: No, I am sorry he is working.
Caller: Well, I just need him to move a toilet for me. I am working on the bathroom and thought he could move our toilet for me because it's in the wrong spot. It should only take him a couple of minutes.
Me saying what I really want: Sorry, I am using the magic wand to clean the house today.

Caller 3: Is your husband home?
Me: No, I am sorry. He is working.
Caller: I wanted to know if he would be able to do a job for me in a couple of weeks.
Me: That won't be possible. He is working on a major project right now. He won't be finished until the beginning of June. Actually, he is booked until the Fall.
Caller: Well, he could probably fit me in if he really wanted to.
Me saying what I really want: Yeah, as soon as he pulls everyone else out of his rear!

Caller 4: Is your husband home?
Me: No, I am sorry. He is working.
Caller: Can you ask him to call me?
Me: Sure. What is your phone number.
Caller: It is xxx-xxxx
Me: Okay. I don't know what time he will be home, but I will make sure that he calls.
Caller: Well, what time will that be?
Me saying what I really want: Sorry, the kids are outside playing with the crystal ball right now, so I really don't know.

Ugh! Honestly some people just don't get it. Some days I think it would be easier to stand on my head and poop nickels. {{{SIGH}}}

Perhaps it would be better if your husband hired a Secretary or answering service?

I can relate. DH's job requires him to receive phone calls 24/7 - every day, all day, all night. Consequently, he asked/demanded that people call his cell phone. If he's not home, they're not accomplishing a thing other than ticking me off if they call the house. He gives no one his home phone number - but there are still a couple who think they are going through a loophole and will call the house. I've learned over the years to just not answer it, but occasionally I'll slip up and pick it up. Whether he's here or not, my standard answer is always, "He's not home. You'll need to call his cell phone." Awhile back, we were at one of his co-worker's house, and I was complaining to the guy's wife about all the phone calls. The guy says, "Well, honey, you've got to understand. When they need to talk to him, it can't wait until morning. They need to talk to him right then." I thought DH was going to choke on his food when I responded, "I'm fully aware of that. But when you call my house, and he's out of town, which you're fully aware that he usually is, you've done nothing but wake up me and the baby and now I'm ticked. At that point, I'm not going to do a thing to help you find him. Call the cell phone, and you won't have that problem."

Just get another line into the house that goes right into a answering machine- That way no conversation with you is required. It's a business, people need to be able to get in touch with him during the day- but unless he is paying you to be his answering service let it go to the dedicated work machine.

Most contractors do operate off their cell phones - or at least everyone we've ever dealt with did. Me personally, I wouldn't go to the expense of second line - just don't answer the phone.

Most contractors do operate off their cell phones - or at least everyone we've ever dealt with did. Me personally, I wouldn't go to the expense of second line - just don't answer the phone.

If you want to run a home based business you should have a phone. Cell phones are not used where we live as the base way of contact. It would mean non stop calls for minor things. But unless you are rolling in the work and don't care about bad word of mouth- it is best to have some professional way of handling calls.
I hate when a contractor is in my home working and he is taking calls on his cell. (um I thought I was paying for this?) But that is just me- hey if it is working for you then keep doing it.

He does operate off of his cell. They keep calling the house phone. I don't mind if it's a first time caller, but most of these folks are repeat customers. They know they should call his cell. There are days (like today) that they seem to think he is supposed to be at their beck and call. Then they get upset with me because he is working. Believe me, I am not answering the phone for the rest of the day. :goodvibes

If you want to run a home based business you should have a phone. Cell phones are not used where we live as the base way of contact. It would mean non stop calls for minor things. But unless you are rolling in the work and don't care about bad word of mouth- it is best to have some professional way of handling calls.
I hate when a contractor is in my home working and he is taking calls on his cell. (um I thought I was paying for this?) But that is just me- hey if it is working for you then keep doing it.

:scared1:

Dh leaves his phone is his truck while he is working. He will return calls at lunch time, or after work. Never on someone elses time though.

He does operate off of his cell. They keep calling the house phone. I don't mind if it's a first time caller, but most of these folks are repeat customers. They know they should call his cell. There are days (like today) that they seem to think he is supposed to be at their beck and call. Then they get upset with me because he is working. Believe me, I am not answering the phone for the rest of the day. :goodvibes

Girl, I'm on your side. It bugs the stew out of me when they call the house. It's DH's job, not mine. And I have a home office for my job, so the phone ringing when they know not to call here in the first place is soooo aggravating!!

What's the difference in leaving a message on his voice mail and leaving a message on the dedicated answering machine you suggested? There's no reason they should have to go to the added expense.

Oh one thing- my painter is cell phone only and I don't care if he takes calls in my house while he is working because this guy is GOOD. So I guess if your dh's are really good at what they do people will put up with a few phone calls.

And no way should they be coming into the home. (how do they get that number? are you listed?)

Oh one thing- my painter is cell phone only and I don't care if he takes calls in my house while he is working because this guy is GOOD. So I guess if your dh's are really good at what they do people will put up with a few phone calls.

And no way should they be coming into the home. (how do they get that number? are you listed?)

Mine's not a contractor - it's his co-workers that need to get ahold of him. Our home number is listed. I don't want it unlisted, as I do want family and friends to be able to get ahold of me. DH's co-workers have his cell number, they know 90% of the time they need him, he's not going to be at home - why do they call here? I don't know. It's gotten better because I have the same canned response, "not here, call his cell." But it's taken 11 years for them to figure it out!!

Our house phone is listed. It's listed under our name. His business is not. All of his business is through word of mouth and business cards. Most of the people who call the house phone are the repeat customers who know he is very hard to get in touch with.

I'm sure you do get tired of playing unpaid Secretary......

But truthfully, if I'm calling somebody with the possibility of becoming a client, I expect to be treated as a Customer and I expect to be able to reach a warm body or at least be given a good estimate of when I might be able to speak to a warm body. I'm certainly not interested in sitting by my phone all day long until the Contractor can fit in a phone call to me.

If you really are having a hard time being polite, then I really would suggest your husband list a different phone number for his business.

Our house phone is listed. It's listed under our name. His business is not. All of his business is through word of mouth and business cards. Most of the people who call the house phone are the repeat customers who know he is very hard to get in touch with.
:scared1: I wouldn't ever do that because I don't want to get on the bad list of customers!!!

What about email? Can he put that on his business cards?

But truthfully, if I'm calling somebody with the possibility of becoming a client, I expect to be treated as a Customer and I expect to be able to reach a warm body or at least be given a good estimate of when I might be able to speak to a warm body. I'm certainly not interested in sitting by my phone all day long until the Contractor can fit in a phone call to me.

If you really are having a hard time being polite, then I really would suggest your husband list a different phone number for his business.

It's our house phone. He has a business number. I am never ever rude with anyone. Most times customers get upset with me because he isn't home.

I feel your pain, sister. My DH is also a contractor, and although he has a business phone line connected to an answering machine, and a cell phone, we get calls on the house phone all the time. He also only advertises through word of mouth and business cards, and he does a lot of work for friends and family, so they know our home phone number - which is also listed in the phone book.

I work away from home, so I don't tend to get many business calls for him, but sometimes on the weekends or evenings I get stuck in the same situation you are in. I generally tell people he will call them back, or if it is urgent, to try his cell phone. I do my best to have HIM handle all of his business stuff. Even when he does work for my co-workers, I tell them to call him on his cell instead of sending a message through me. I am too busy at work (and at home) to be his personal secretary.

Good luck to you!

Denae

I see your point. But we just finished building a house. We were owner builders, and only two subs operated out of a "real office," and that was the roofers and the cabinet guys. Framers, concrete guys, plumber, electrician, fence people, brick and masonry, vinyl, insulation, drywall, painters - all of them. We got the names from subs we had already used and asked who they suggested. Every single one of them was a cell phone. Some called back, some didn't. If they didn't call back, we went on to the next one. I'm assuming no return phone call means they are too busy for the job anyway. Most would call back the next day or that night. I don't expect them to call back immediately - they're working - it's the nature of the job.

:scared1: I wouldn't ever do that because I don't want to get on the bad list of customers!!!

What about email? Can he put that on his business cards?

Our home phone is listed in the book. That's why they will call here when they don't reach him on his cell. Unfortunately, he doesn't have time for the internet. He goes on maybe once a month.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter