Some DAS Questions (and Rider Switch)

sweetnjmom

DIS Veteran
I have a quick question for you re: Rider Switch and the DAS. My son has ADHD and Anxiety, and has some noise sensitivity issues. So there are some rides that he will not ride, despite now being tall enough to do so (ie. Space Mountain, Dinosaur) and my husband and I would like to.

Does anyone know if we can use the DAS not to beat the line, but to allow either my husband or I stay with our son while the other rides and then the other can use the rider swap card to go on the ride later?

I don't anticipate that we'll need to use the card otherwise and if we cannot do this, we are fully prepared to NOT go on those rides.

And to confirm, I don't need my son's doctor to write a note to get him a DAS?

Thanks.

The user of the DAS must ride. However, the rider switch is for adults with a child who doesn't want to ride, not just meeting the height requirement. From Disney's own page:

What Is Rider Switch and How Does It Work?

If Guests in your party don’t want to board an attraction, you don’t have to miss out. One adult can wait with the non-rider while the rest of the party experiences the attraction. The waiting adult can then board the attraction without having to wait in the regular line again when another adult in the party returns to supervise the child or children who do not ride—either because they do not meet the height requirement or simply do not wish to ride.

the DAS is for your child, not you. if he is not the one riding, then you cannot use it. rider swap MIGHT be possible if the CM is okay with your scenario.

while a doctor's note is not required( nor will be used) you do need to make his needs known as to why he cannot wait in lines

If I read the description from Disney correctly, you and your DH can still do the rides you are wanting. You could wait outside the line with your DS while your DH rides and then do the rider swap and you can ride while your DH is with DS. I would just make sure to inform the CM's that this is what you are doing and get the rider swap card.

I hope you enjoy your trip!

If I read the description from Disney correctly, you and your DH can still do the rides you are wanting. You could wait outside the line with your DS while your DH rides and then do the rider swap and you can ride while your DH is with DS. I would just make sure to inform the CM's that this is what you are doing and get the rider swap card.

I hope you enjoy your trip!
Or, you could do what we have done.
Make that ride one of your Fastpass attraction choices. One of you uses their Fastpass to ride while the other waits with your child.
Then the second person uses their Fastpass to ride while the other waits with your child.

If you have not seen it yet, there is a WDW DAS thread and a Disneyland DAS thread stuck near the top of this board. The first post in each thread is facts about DAS.
There is also dome more general DAS information in post 6 of the disABILITIES FAQs thread (also stuck near the top of this board or follow the link in my signature).

I think Sue's idea of using FP+ for those rides is your surest option. Rider Swap has been hit-or-miss unless the child is too short to ride. Some CMs may allow it for a taller child who opts not to ride, but other CMs may not.

Enjoy your vacation!

You could also use the Single Rider line at the three rides that offer it:
Test Track
Expedition Everest
Rockin Rollercoaster
So you won't have to waste a FP on those.

Took the weekend off so only just now seeing the replies. I have now followed the FAQ here, sorry for missing the post. And we'll see what happens with rider swap for rides that will give my son sensory overload (he's an avoider, not a seeker). If we cannot get the swap, we'll skip the ride. The trip is for my son, not us, no matter how much we may like a particular ride. And I'll take advantage of the single rider line for Expedition Everest and Rock-n-Rollercoaster.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter