Some clarifications on the 9/20/16 show

rteetz

DIS Veteran
I just wanted to say a few things regarding today's podcast.

1. Shark Reef closure at Typhoon Lagoon- This is closing without anything replacing it for the time being. The new water slide they are building is going in a completely different place than where shark reef is. The construction of the new slide will not affect the shark reef area. From what I understand costs and maintenance played a big role in this closing.

2. Kevin heard a rumor about guardians of the galaxy going into Universe of Energy- Yes it is a rumor and I have it from credible sources that it's on the table right now. Pete said it's debunked but unless he has inside info that I haven't heard it isn't. This new guardians attraction would go into the existing universe of energy building except the building would get some modifications or additions during the construction. This ride would be a coaster and is said to have a backwards launch. WDWNT claims Ellen will close in January 2017, I have heard otherwise.

For those of you that think guardians can't go into WDW because they are marvel, yes they can actually. Guardians is one of the select few properties that can go into WDW.

Just wants to clarify those points.

2. Kevin heard a rumor about guardians of the galaxy going into Universe of Energy- Yes it is a rumor and I have it from credible sources that it's on the table right now. Pete said it's debunked but unless he has inside info that I haven't heard it isn't. This new guardians attraction would go into the existing universe of energy building except the building would get some modifications or additions during the construction. This ride would be a coaster and is said to have a backwards launch. WDWNT claims Ellen will close in January 2017, I have heard otherwise.

This could get interesting because they did fly height balloons over it already so if it's not coming, what is :)

And Disney has been webcasting its earnings calls for a while. Anyone can listen.

This new guardians attraction would go into the existing universe of energy building except the building would get some modifications or additions during the construction. This ride would be a coaster and is said to have a backwards launch. WDWNT claims Ellen will close in January 2017, I have heard otherwise.
Wouldn't a coaster attraction require a building with a bit more height that UoE has? It doesn't sound like a simple modification or addition to me, but then I'm not an engineer.

And Disney has been webcasting its earnings calls for a while. Anyone can listen.
I think this one will be a bit different or something because Disney announced at the last earnings call that they would be webcasting for the first time. Maybe you could just listen to the call before and now you can do more? I'm not exactly sure.

Wouldn't a coaster attraction require a building with a bit more height that UoE has? It doesn't sound like a simple modification or addition to me, but then I'm not an engineer.
I don't know what the coaster would look like exactly but like I said the building would get modifications/additions. They aren't going to demo the whole thing to save on costs of a completely new build.

I think this one will be a bit different or something because Disney announced at the last earnings call that they would be webcasting for the first time. Maybe you could just listen to the call before and now you can do more? I'm not exactly sure.

Good thought, but I checked the investor relations webpage https://thewaltdisneycompany.com/disneys-fiscal-full-year-and-q4-2016-earnings-results-webcast/ and it doesn't seem to announce any new method, still a "live audio webcast."

I don't know what the coaster would look like exactly but like I said the building would get modifications/additions. They aren't going to demo the whole thing to save on costs of a completely new build.
I don't disagree but just about all the coasters I've seen require some amount of height for the "lift hill". Height that I don't think the existing building has. That would mean striping the roof of those solar cells and building something higher. That then completely disrupts the lines of the building as it is viewed from the approach, so now we're talking redoing the front as well. Getting close to a full demo at that point.

I don't disagree but just about all the coasters I've seen require some amount of height for the "lift hill". Height that I don't think the existing building has. That would mean striping the roof of those solar cells and building something higher. That then completely disrupts the lines of the building as it is viewed from the approach, so now we're talking redoing the front as well. Getting close to a full demo at that point.

It depends on the design and if they are using power launches vs lift hills you can get away will lower height

For example Grizzly Gulch Runaway Mine Train in HKDL has 3 separate "launches" and never really gets very high but is still a fairly long ride

This would be a launch coaster so it doesn't necessarily need a lift hill. There were height test balloons used already in that area so they likely will be making the building taller.

Why is Guadians of the Galaxy such a big push in Disney Parks? The movie wasn't "all that" by any means. Just trying to find out why a movie like that deserves such a financial marketing push when I'm sure most young children didn't even see it. Am I wrong? Disney might be making a mistake by bringing in something of the "super hero" world into their beloved parks.

Why is Guadians of the Galaxy such a big push in Disney Parks? The movie wasn't "all that" by any means. Just trying to find out why a movie like that deserves such a financial marketing push when I'm sure most young children didn't even see it. Am I wrong? Disney might be making a mistake by bringing in something of the "super hero" world into their beloved parks.
The movie was successful. Out in DCA guardians is just the start, they are getting a full marvel land. In WDW its different due to the contract with universal. Guardians and Doctor Strange are really the two main characters they can use at WDW. Bob Chapek head of Disney parks and resorts wants marvel in the parks and in WDW guardians is really the only way to go. Disney also just can't appeal to young children they need to appeal to everyone. A guardians coaster will bring in the young adults and teens.

The movie was successful. Out in DCA guardians is just the start, they are getting a full marvel land. In WDW its different due to the contract with universal. Guardians and Doctor Strange are really the two main characters they can use at WDW. Bob Chapek head of Disney parks and resorts wants marvel in the parks and in WDW guardians is really the only way to go. Disney also just can't appeal to young children they need to appeal to everyone. A guardians coaster will bring in the young adults and teens.

Yes, adults and teens is correct. But where's the longevity of this brand? It can never become a Disney "classic" attraction even as Tower of Terror was for all walks of life simply because not everyone saw or likes the movie behind it. Marvel needs to stay in either Universal or 6 Flags. In my mind it's a money grab simply because Walt himself would not agree with Bob Chapek and his decisions for the parks.

Yes, adults and teens is correct. But where's the longevity of this brand? It can never become a Disney "classic" attraction even as Tower of Terror was for all walks of life simply because not everyone saw or likes the movie behind it. Marvel needs to stay in either Universal or 6 Flags. In my mind it's a money grab simply because Walt himself would not agree with Bob Chapek and his decisions for the parks.
Marvel has been around for a very long time I think it's stood the test of time. It may not appeal to you but it appeals to plenty of others. Marvel doesn't need to stay at universal or six flags, marvel is a Disney brand. I think you the mindset of a coaster like at six flags that has minimal theming if any and a super hero name. This is Disney they don't just build a steel coaster with no theming or story. If done right it could be an incredible attraction.

Walt is dead you don't know what he would agree and disagree with.

Alright, You are correct... Marvel has been around a very long time. So long ago that Walt was alive with his Disneyland park and thinking about what might go in his WDW park as well. Clearly anything super hero related wasn't in the sauce at the time, why should it be now? Money grab, unoriginal and not true to what Disney is. I'm sorry.

Alright, You are correct... Marvel has been around a very long time. So long ago that Walt was alive with his Disneyland park and thinking about what might go in his WDW park as well. Clearly anything super hero related wasn't in the sauce at the time, why should it be now? Money grab, unoriginal and not true to what Disney is. I'm sorry.
Then you could say Star Wars and toy story are also money grabs.

Toy Story and all Pixar films fit the Disney esthetic/vibe whimsy and fantasy. Star Wars is beautiful and an amazingly iconic adventure for all ages, but it never fit the Disney estetic either which more than one person can agree with when the deal first accured. If, at the time, Walt desired Marvel to be apart of his Disney franchise - he would have made it so. That is all.

Toy Story and all Pixar films fit the Disney esthetic/vibe whimsy and fantasy. Star Wars is beautiful and an amazingly iconic adventure for all ages, but it never fit the Disney estetic either which more than one person can agree with when the deal first accured. If, at the time, Walt desired Marvel to be apart of his Disney franchise - he would have made it so. That is all.
You can't say what Walt would've done because you aren't Walt and didn't know him personally. Marvel wasn't what it is today back when Walt was a live. Marvel was just a comic book company then they got into movies later. Today their movies are incredibly popular more so than their comics.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter