Solution to the Sleep Timer/Snooze Button Dilemma?

meliss8599

DIS Veteran
My husband needs to hit the sleep timer/snooze button numerous times before finally getting himself going in the morning. His alarm goes off anywhere from 3-5 times before he finally gets up. I prefer to sleep soundly until my alarm goes off and I get right up without the need for a sleep timer.

When I hear his first alarm (he subsequently hits the sleep timer) it literally jars me awake and it's VERY difficult for me to get back to sleep. I want to respect how he needs to get up so I'm looking for suggestions that can help us both wake up how we want! My first thought was ear plugs, but I want to be aware enough if there was ever an emergency like a smoke alarm going off that I would need to listen for.

Last edited:
I'm a heavy sleeper and often disregard my alarm, hit snooze button and go back to sleep. I now keep my alarm clock (cell phone) away from the bed so I have to get up and walk over to it to turn it off. This works for me because once I'm standing up I'm not likely to lay back down.

I am a school teacher, so during the summer, I'd prefer to sleep through my husband's alarm (he hits the snooze every 10 minutes for an hour)!

I do two things--I sleep with earplugs, but sometimes they don't even help.

The other thing I do, is that if I wake up during the night (which happens very often), I go into another room and fall back to sleep there.

My feeling is that he's the one that has to get up and go to work while I enjoy relaxing during the summer. Although my sleep is interrupted, I always manage to get in a nap during the day (while he's a work)!:love:

What if your husband wore a vibrating alarm? I have an alarm on my FitBit that I wear to bed and I'm sure it only wakes me up. If he needs more than one alarm to finally get up, he could set the alarm for every 5 minutes or whatever he needs- and it wouldn't disturb you!

I agree with the vibrating alarm suggestion.

It's weird but DH uses a loud alarm clock and I use my phone. His alarm goes off first but I've somehow trained myself not to to wake up to his alarm. I know that he he sometimes hits snooze a few times but I never wake up until he's leaving and kisses me goodbye.

I think a vibrating alarm would work. If not, I think you should let him have the kind of alarm he needs.

I use the silent alarm on my Fitbit to wake up, I find it much less jarring than an audio alarm. Could he try something like that or is he too heavy of a sleeper?

What if your husband wore a vibrating alarm? I have an alarm on my FitBit that I wear to bed and I'm sure it only wakes me up. If he needs more than one alarm to finally get up, he could set the alarm for every 5 minutes or whatever he needs- and it wouldn't disturb you!

I think a vibrating alarm would work. If not, I think you should let him have the kind of alarm he needs.

He usually sleeps through his alarms, despite how loud they are, and I am the one nudging him awake to turn it off (it's on his phone near him in bed). I DEFINITELY like the idea of a vibrating alarm that's on his wrist and will look into the cost of that Fitbit. Thanks for that suggestion!

What if you explain to him that hitting snooze is actually worse? http://www.cnn.com/2014/02/06/health/upwave-snooze-button/

I'll share this with him, thanks!

That would drive me crazy, but you could have it worse. My friend hits snooze for three hours every day before he gets up! If I was his wife, I would have stopped that a long time ago.

My husband needs to hit the sleep timer/snooze button numerous times before finally getting himself going in the morning. His alarm goes off anywhere from 3-5 times before he finally gets up. I prefer to sleep soundly until my alarm goes off and I get right up without the need for a sleep timer.

When I hear his first alarm (he subsequently hits the sleep timer) it literally jars me awake and it's VERY difficult for me to get back to sleep. I want to respect how he needs to get up so I'm looking for suggestions that can help us both wake up how we want! My first thought was ear plugs, but I want to be aware enough if there was ever an emergency like a smoke alarm going off that I would need to listen for.

Have him get a smart watch or a fitbit that has a vibrating silent alarm. My Fitbit Charge HR allows you to set up to 8 silent alarms every day, and it vibrates on your wrist. I never would have thought that it would wake me up, but it does. Your husband could set 5 alarms 10 minutes apart, just like a snooze function, and you would be able to sleep blissfully and unaware.

Oh, I thought of something else for you... but it wouldn't necessarily not wake you up as well. I have an alarm setting on an App that plays a musical melody instead of a beeping or jarring alarm. Plus, you can set it to gradually wake you up. So, it starts out quiet and gets a bit louder. It's a good way to wake up because it isn't jarring you out of your sleep, supposed to be better for your sleep cycles, etc. Although it would wake you up as well, as least it wouldn't be as disruptive to your sleep. The app is called "Relax Melodies" - phones may have the same setting as well.

The snooze button is something I have NEVER understood. If you have to be up at 5:30 a.m., why wouldn't you just set your alarm for 5:30? Why set it for 5:00 so you can hit the snooze 3-4 times? What am I missing? lol

Some people don't like to snap awake and jump right up.

I use it just in case I fall back asleep. :)

I'm going to invent a new alarm clock; here's how it'll work:

When it goes off, instead of a buzzer with a snooze option, it will start a 10 minute diatribe by the Kardashians on life, shopping, relationships, etc. that cannot be shut off.

I promise no one is staying in the same room with that!

;)

I'm still apt to hit snooze, but a Progressive Light alarm clock has helped me. It gradually starts making the room brighter before the set alarm time, so by the time it makes noise the room is light and it's easier for me to wake up. Putting it on the other side of the room also helped, though I have been known to turn it off and crawl back into bed . . .

Oh, I thought of something else for you... but it wouldn't necessarily not wake you up as well. I have an alarm setting on an App that plays a musical melody instead of a beeping or jarring alarm. Plus, you can set it to gradually wake you up. So, it starts out quiet and gets a bit louder. It's a good way to wake up because it isn't jarring you out of your sleep, supposed to be better for your sleep cycles, etc. Although it would wake you up as well, as least it wouldn't be as disruptive to your sleep. The app is called "Relax Melodies" - phones may have the same setting as well.

Yesssss!! He had used this at one time and it was much less jarring. I'm going to ask him if he's willing to go back to that. I'm not quite sure why he changed it actually.

Have you tried placing your feet at the small of his back and just pushing him off the bed? My wife prefers the tried and true knuckles to the temple or forehead.

The way you make sure that he stops focusing on how much he doesn't want to get out of bed is to make sure those 9 minutes he stays in bed are the worst 9 minutes of the day. ;)

I'm thinking you need to sleep in different rooms.

I personally feel that what you have described is rude and very inconsiderate. If the alarm only went off once, and he kept sleeping in, he would soon learn to wake up, turn it off, and stagger into the kitchen or someplace else to wake up without disturbing others. That being said, I'm hoping you have a terrific guy and this annoying habit is his only flaw.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter