Solo trips to disney world? Thoughts...

It's hard to comprehend people not liking Disney. I understand you might not like hitting all the rides but a rocking chair on Tom Sawyer's Island can be therapeutic if that's your pace.
Exactly. There's a lot to be said for just hanging around and people watching with a cold sarsaparilla in your hand...

Ye
Why do you have to explain it to everyone? No reason to worry about whether they get it or not. I don't judge my friends and their vacations. If someone has an opinion on mine, I don't really care.

Yes, I suppose your right. My husband gets it and he's the only one who counts. Haha. I've been looking at the board that someone posted earlier in this thread, and apparently I can find people going solo the same time as me and meet up! I think I feel confident enough to book now, thanks to all of these encouraging comments. I was thinking November 12th -18th, catch the end of the Epcot food and wine festival, and then some of the beginnings of the holiday stuff. I'm excited now!

You might be by yourself at WDW, but you're never alone...

Very true! I'm happily married, but DH just isn't as big a Disney fanatic as I am, so I've taken at least 15 solo trips. For example this year, DH went to WDW with me once, and I went solo two other times. My first solo trip was a "Mom's weekend" gift from DH and my DSs for Mother's Day. Sometimes DH takes golf trips without me, and sometimes I take WDW trips without him. It may not be for everyone, but it's worked for us for 33 years. And DH actually likes my solo trips because sometimes I'll discover something that I introduce him to on the next trip together.

I have only done one solo trip and was a bit anxious about it. I had a blast! It's a lot different than when you go with friends or family but it was fun. The biggest difference obviously is having no one to talk to or share experiences with but I got used to it quickly. It was refreshing. I could check things out that I wouldn't with a group. I could go back to my resort whenever I wanted, it was very freeing. I went on a backstage tour and met other people. I ate at Victoria and Alberts. I did whatever I wanted because it was just me!! I found that I talked with a lot of random people that I wouldn't have if I was with a group. I would rather go with my family or friends but I really enjoyed my solo trip!

Last edited:
Our family went to WDW in '99. I loved it, have been back over 30 times, maybe 40. She has not been back. My son and his family have been back once with me, and my daughter, once by herself with me and twice with her 2 boys and me. And every time I have met up with folks from the boards here, always a good time. As mentioned already, I most often do a tour each visit also. Someday, maybe my wife will go again.

Glad that you decided to go for it!

Seriously consider taking a tour. Solo trips may be your only chance to learn more about an area that interests you

http://www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/tours.htm

Thank you for this!!!! I didn't realize half of these tours existed. My 5y/o and 3y/o would never want to do these... Thanks. PS: I booked my trip. November 12th-16th in the Contemporary. Anybody gonna be there with me?

Chipping in a bit late, but I just got back from my 4th Annual Solo Trip and it was awesome, as usual. Now, I don't have a DH or kids, and I'm used to doing things by myself regularly, so I'm comfortable with it. But I am such a big kid, I love meeting characters, doing rides, the whole thing. I always book some good ADRs and have never had a problem. (The only time I ever couldn't book an ADR for 1 was when I booked Narcoossee's for this year - moot point, since I ended up switching it to Yachtsman's Steakhouse when I decided that was going to be my primary Epcot day.)

IMO, one of the best things about going solo is the ability to change plans on the fly without having to discuss/debate with anyone else.

This past week I had a bright idea while standing in line. Someone came walking through the line saying, "Excuse me" and just worked their way ahead. I assumed they were trying to catch up with someone... however, I thought, if I was alone, I might try this to work my way to the front of the line. :)

I am glad you are gonna go! I am really considering a solo trip for next november. I really wanna do MVMCP and do a tour or two! Again, I would probably only go for 4-5 days but I am sure it would be worth it.

I actually tried going by myself last October for 6 days...and I asked my friend if she could take me to the airport. Her boyfriend found out and felt so sorry that I was traveling alone, so he paid her way to come with me. I thought that was really nice of him, and we did have a great time, but I found myself thinking "If I was alone I would be doing..." or "I wish I was alone". I cancelled my tours because she didn't want to do them and, needless to say, she thought everything was over priced and that the only good rides were thrill rides.

I think it is really exciting to see how many people love going solo! I feel like I shouldn't have to explain myself to everyone, but I get so excited and wanna talk about my great vacation, that it is hard not to tell people I am going alone. Although, I always get the whole "your going to Disney again?!?!?" regardless.

OP, I am sure you will have a wonderful time and don't feel guilty about leaving the kids. You need (and deserve) time to yourself!!

I have gone alone. My brother cancelled last minute due to weather concerns, so I had an entire week by myself. I've also gone to DL by myself, but just for two days.

I had a blast. I got to do whatever I wanted, eat what and when I wanted, just wander and relax. However, I am very introverted, so being alone is necessary for me and I could see how an extrovert might not like it as much as I did. At least not for a whole week!

Sometimes I would have liked to have someone to dine with, or on a few of the rides. But I chatted with people in line, or waiting your parades near me. Overall, it was very enjoyable and a very different experience.

Yes, I suppose your right. My husband gets it and he's the only one who counts. Haha. I've been looking at the board that someone posted earlier in this thread, and apparently I can find people going solo the same time as me and meet up! I think I feel confident enough to book now, thanks to all of these encouraging comments. I was thinking November 12th -18th, catch the end of the Epcot food and wine festival, and then some of the beginnings of the holiday stuff. I'm excited now!

I encourage you to rethink the idea of meeting up at WDW with people you meet online.

First, there's a safety issue with meeting people you don't know. But there's also the issue of being on a solo trip.

On my first solo trip I made a few internet dates to meet up and wish I hadn't. I really liked the people I met, but I would rather not have had the commitments. I just remember thinking "oh, I wish I didn't have to meet so-and-so this afternoon because I'd really rather hop over to Animal Kingdom" or whatever.

For me, the best part of going to WDW solo is that there is so much to do and I can decide at any moment, on a whim, what I want to do. I don't have to consult or discuss it with anyone. I can just go and do. Or even sleep in if that's what I want to do. But I never do, because my body just won't. But it's still so freeing to know that I could sleep in if I wanted to!

I think a solo trip would be miserable. DD and DH loves Disney as much as I do and I would be guilt-ridden the whole trip. I'm also very social, so a vacation alone doesn't sound like much fun. The first morning might be relaxing, to sleep in and not worry about anyone else's breakfast or clothes, but after that, I would be lonely.

I encourage you to rethink the idea of meeting up at WDW with people you meet online.

On my first solo trip I made a few internet dates to meet up and wish I hadn't. I really liked the people I met, but I would rather not have had the commitments. I just remember thinking "oh, I wish I didn't have to meet so-and-so this afternoon because I'd really rather hop over to Animal Kingdom" or whatever.

This is a very good point. I'll definitely keep it in mind. I do enjoy having nice meals and doing the dessert shows, so if I decide to meet up with some people, perhaps I could meet them at places like that. I make my schedule around my good ADR's anyway, so it isn't like I'd be pulled from something else I wanted to do. On the flip side, I'd also be perfectly fine just making random friends with who I'm standing in line with or whoever I'm sitting by. haha.

Part of the magic of a Disney trip is that it varies so much with who you go with and, as you'll find out, how old they are. When you start regularly taking your kids, you'll find their interests will change every time you go. One year it might be meeting the characters, the next getting signatures in books, then rides, etc. When mine were the age yours are, they were more interested in the hotel pool...but it was still a great trip.

This also applies to a solo trip. While most of my trips have been with family, I've been able to do a solo trip most every year for the past 10 or so. I won't say I get the same satisfaction out of it, but its still a very enjoyable experience. The best thing is you can work with any kind of schedule that YOU want. If you feel like getting up early and making a rope drop, there's no one to slow you down. If you'd rather sleep in, you can do that. The attractions you visit are those that you like. Skip the ones you don't.

As far as ADR's go, I generally have not done them, but I wouldn't discourage you from making them, if you wish. Personally, when I do a solo trip, I try to do it on the cheap, so I'll pretty much stick to counter service or offsite. (I do like to have a car). I tend to disagree with a previous poster that indicated that its tougher to get an ADR as a 1, rather than a 2. I would think the inventory of tables for 1 would be the same as tables for 2 (much like tables for 3 is the same as tables for 4).

I encourage you to go for it...it'll be a lot of fun!

. I tend to disagree with a previous poster that indicated that its tougher to get an ADR as a 1, rather than a 2. I would think the inventory of tables for 1 would be the same as tables for 2 (much like tables for 3 is the same as tables for 4).

I encourage you to go for it...it'll be a lot of fun!

You'd think. But you would be wrong. Certain restaurants simply do not put ADRs for 1 in the system. I know for a fact that on my solo trip I could not get a table for one at Ohana or Trails End, but when I looked for ADRs for 2, suddenly I had my choice of tables.

BTW, an easy walk up for a solo diner is TEPPAN EDO. It's kinda like single rider line, they are happy to have you take an empty seat.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter