Solo Trip - where should I stay?

Rosie

Doughnut researcher
I've been away from this board a very long time. My last WDW trip was 2010 and wow things seem to have changed at WDW!
Its a solo trip because my DD is not a child any more and will be working at WDW over summer on the J1 cultural exchange programme, and none of the rest of my family can afford the time or cost of a trip this year.
Hopefully I will meet up with my DD each day at some point and I am still hoping to have a great visit:flower1:
I wont be driving so where should I stay? Going 14th to 24th July and thinking of doing one night onsite at Universal with DD for her 21st Birthday weekend. Which onsite WDW resort might suit a single woman?
Thanks!

in terms of what?
in terms of safety?
food?
entertainment?
personally, any of the resorts would be fine for me on a solo trip..
i'm trying to remember where i stayed on the occasions i found myself at WDW alone...
i think i stayed at pop century once, grand floridian once, and i can't remember where i stayed the third time (maybe POR? or maybe pop again...i just can't remember)..
i didn't notice any difference between the stays..
i should add that i was in orlando for conferences and came in early to get a bit of WDW on my own before the conference started...

For me, I always think Coronado Springs is a good resort for solo travellers! It's got a nice feel to it, and plenty to do, and because of the conference side of things tends to have less children staying there too!

in terms of what?
in terms of safety?
food?
entertainment?
As im not driving its really in terms of where! Whats the ideal spot for a solo trip using the WDW bus system?

I'm not shy, not nervous and would like somewhere there might be other solo trippers - so yes a convention resort would be a good call from that point of view.
My DD will make a booking for me when she is at WDW (hopefully with a reasonable discount) so that may restrict me but just would be good to have some ideas.
Thanks for the replies so far!

I would suggest yacht/beach club. Lovely hotel.
Plus You've got boardwalk just a walk away for a chance to meet others and hang out. And then you can walk to Epcot- with world showcase on your doorstep you can even just pop to the park for a food drink experience. I always find that world showcase is the place I meet people if anywhere!
Then Hollywood studios you can get to by boat if you aren't in a rush!
AK not so easy but still only a bus. And MK you could if you fancied it walk through EP then get the monorail links, two parks in one journey (or of course use the bus).

Just my opinion though. Not been to boardwalk in a while, is it still night time active?

Will your daughter be working in Epcot? If so, I would try and stay nearby so either she can join you for a chill out by the pool after a shift or you could go in the park and join her for dinner in the evening.
Around the Boardwalk would give you lots to do in the day but very easy access to the parks.
Also find out where she is staying so you can look at where is easiest for your daughter too. Most of the cast accommodation is near Disney Springs.

From one ex cast member, I hope she loves it :)

well for transportation i would take either a magic kingdom resort or an epcot resort..
my personal preferences among those are the Grand Floridian, Wilderness Lodge, and Yacht Club....

the GF and WL both have enjoyable boat transportation to the MK..(the GF also has the monorail but i don't like riding it...i prefer going by boat)
and of course, you can walk to epcot from the yacht club...

but if truth be told, i'd be happy at any disney resort!!! i'd be at WDW after all :)

It will depend on where you want to visit, park-wise.

For Mk, any of the monorail resorts, although contemporary is a nice walk.

For Epcot, either beach club or yacht club or boardwalk.

Maybe you could do a split stay.

add to that the wilderness lodge, which has the most wonderful, relaxing boatride transportation to MK...
i enjoy that boat as much as or even more than the park attractions!!!
and i love the decor of the WL...

another thing that's nice about the WL, Contemporary and all of the Epcot resorts - you're entirely indoors....
you don't have to go outside to get to your room...

I would stay at the boardwalk which is lovely on an evening, plenty going on and easy access to Epcot for loads of options for eating and meeting people too. The pool areas are also nice to spend at during the day.

I travel solo a lot and haven't found anywhere on WDW property that isn't good for a solo woman. I've stayed at POP, ASSp, CS, POR, OKW, YC and BW solo (I've stayed at just about every resort on property at least once just not always solo). I've never had any problems riding the buses solo or walking around the resorts. I get up, normally before day break, and walk/jog around the resorts and always feel safe. I'm not a fan of the value resorts but that has nothing to do with being solo and is just the fact that I don't like the rooms, noise and crowds of them. I love the Epcot resorts and always end up there every trip, most of my solo trips are split stays with one or two days at a moderate and the rest at an Epcot resort. I would just say first set your budget then see what's available.

I would suggest yacht/beach club. Lovely hotel.
Plus You've got boardwalk just a walk away for a chance to meet others and hang out. And then you can walk to Epcot- with world showcase on your doorstep you can even just pop to the park for a food drink experience. I always find that world showcase is the place I meet people if anywhere!
Then Hollywood studios you can get to by boat if you aren't in a rush!
AK not so easy but still only a bus. And MK you could if you fancied it walk through EP then get the monorail links, two parks in one journey (or of course use the bus).

Just my opinion though. Not been to boardwalk in a while, is it still night time active?
Boardwalk would be great actually - I think my dates might make it difficult without blowing the budget but thanks for the ideas! Epcot food choices would be great too :drinking:

Will your daughter be working in Epcot? If so, I would try and stay nearby so either she can join you for a chill out by the pool after a shift or you could go in the park and join her for dinner in the evening.
Around the Boardwalk would give you lots to do in the day but very easy access to the parks.
Also find out where she is staying so you can look at where is easiest for your daughter too. Most of the cast accommodation is near Disney Springs.

From one ex cast member, I hope she loves it :)
Thank you! Yes I would like to be somewhere my daughter can get to easily, I intend to spoil her a little if I get the chance - and myself too of course :cloud9:

Me too I think! Only stayed at AKL before onsite and it was georgeous!

Maybe - all options are currently being considered and once I know how much they cost I would definitely consider split stay. We are doing a night at Hard Rock Hotel so we can enjoy the Universal attractions together so I don't mind another move too.

We have only stayed onsite at WL so far (this year we'll by at the Poly) but I would thoroughly recommend it. Rooms are all indoors and the boat transportation to MK is a big plus. If I were you though I think I would opt for one of the Epcot area resorts - they seem like there is more easy access to quite sociable environments.

one BIG negative about the boardwalk - that creepy clown pool!!! unless you don't have an issue with clowns..
that's the reason we only stayed there once in all of our zillions of visits....creepy creepy creepy creepy....can't deal with clowns at all!!!

one BIG negative about the boardwalk - that creepy clown pool!!! unless you don't have an issue with clowns..
that's the reason we only stayed there once in all of our zillions of visits....creepy creepy creepy creepy....can't deal with clowns at all!!!

Noted - I hate clowns too!

My DD (also 21) did the College Program last summer, June - Aug, and worked on Small World and Peter Pan (which she now despises due to it constantly breaking down and the guests shouting at the cast members!) and she loved it, very hard work though.

We went on holiday after she finished and stayed at the Beach Club, which I loved for location, although Epcot is my favourite park. As well as Epcot, HS is just a 10 - 15 min walk away, and Fantasia Golf is just the other side of the Swan and Dolphin - they would be an option for where to stay also. We used Lyft a lot as I didn't get a car this time and they were so good, average cost was $7 to walmart or one of the parks if we couldn't be bothered with a bus. There's an app and they usually give you a credit for signing up so a few of our trips were free. Two of the drivers gave us their direct numbers for longer trips (DD and DS went to Dallas for a Cowboys game and the woman driver on the way out to the airport gave them her card so the return was so much cheaper) and all of them had good tips and advice. Apparently Lyft is more regulated than Uber so cars are generally better condition.

I hope your daughter has an amazing time and that like mine, she will make new friends for life (she met 5 Scottish boys and girls so has had many trips up there and they've all just been to DLP for a week!) but tell her not to expect to come home with any wages remaining (cast connections staff discount store!).

xx

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter