Solo trip to V&A, or, other options?

BeeTheHunter

Earning My Ears
Hello, folks! :wave2:

Not sure if this is more suited to the solo-traveller area, or here. I'll start with here.
I would consider myself a bit of a 'foodie' and would love to go to V&A. DH and I are booked for a trip in September 2015 for some belated celebrations (our anniversary, and, earning my PhD). We looked through some reviews and the latest V&A menu - he's not too thrilled with most of the offerings (and it would be silly to pay that much and have him pick through things), so I'm left with a couple of options.

1) See if V&A will do modifications and simplify some things for him? Anyone else requested modifications?
2) Go on my own. I have no problem with this. Anyone else gone solo?
3) See if there are any other solo lady travellers (or, they're in the same boat I am) around at that time that may want to go? I get this is more of a romantic venue, so this one may not be an option.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

1. Yes, but I don't know the limitations. My other half does not eat seafood, so it does not show up on his menu.
2. I've never done V&A by myself, however, I've done solo visits to fine dining restaurants and always have enjoyed myself. It gives you the opportunity to engage with the staff. Ask for a kitchen tour!
3. If you are outgoing sure! Have you considered the chef's table - I think it is communal?

The Chef's Table is not communal - they only sit one party there per night - up to 10 guests. My DH and I did it last December for our anniversary and it was just the two of us.

I would not hesitate to ask them to modify the menu for your DH although I am a VERY picky eater and I now trust them with anything. The first time we ate there I had them make all sorts of notes on our reservation to accommodate my food issues (pickiness). After that, I decided to go for it and I have never been disappointed, even while eating things I would never touch outside of those V&A doors. It is actually a very empowering thing for a picky eater - to eat food so well prepared that you realize it isn't an aversion to the food, but the way it is typically cooked.

Anyway, I hope that you go and have a great time. We are headed back to the Queen Victoria room this November for our 16th anniv.

Maybe you could start a thread inviting other solo diners to join you? A kind of high-end Dis meet?

BTW: I noticed in your sig that your trip in 2015 indicates you're staying at Wilderness Lodge, but the photo below it shows Fort Wilderness. Which one will you be visiting? :earsboy:

Thank you, everyone!

Maynard & sabcook: I'm sure they could do some accommodation, but that's our question to: how much? And, it probably would be to the point that it would be almost unrecognizable as V&A food. Also, he feels a bit weird about asking some of the best chefs out there to modify their food so much/would it be worth the price we'd pay?

Which is to say, it is likely that I'll either go by myself, or, as Micca suggested - I'll put a thread up in the solo area to see if there are any other takers.

Also, Micca - changed my sig so not to cause any more confusion ;) I couldn't find a picture of WL, so I thought 'close enough!'. I know, very different resorts :) (and yes...that's Hedwig with the old AK logo :scratchin)

Not sure if this is more suited to the solo-traveller area, or here. I'll start with here.
I would consider myself a bit of a 'foodie' and would love to go to V&A. DH and I are booked for a trip in September 2015 for some belated celebrations (our anniversary, and, earning my PhD). We looked through some reviews and the latest V&A menu - he's not too thrilled with most of the offerings (and it would be silly to pay that much and have him pick through things), so I'm left with a couple of options.

1) See if V&A will do modifications and simplify some things for him? Anyone else requested modifications?
3) See if there are any other solo lady travellers (or, they're in the same boat I am) around at that time that may want to go? I get this is more of a romantic venue, so this one may not be an option.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

1: he can make his preferences known when they call to discuss that sort of stuff. for instance I am allergic to shellfish and my menu eliminated those options altogether but others were substituted

2 it would be a complete waste of a wonderful experience going alone

3: again, I would not want to eat with a perfect stranger

the menus change at least twice a year. the menu I looked at before I was there last was totally different to what we were served. he needs ot trust the chef to knwo the best way to present the food.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

1: he can make his preferences known when they call to discuss that sort of stuff. for instance I am allergic to shellfish and my menu eliminated those options altogether but others were substituted

2 it would be a complete waste of a wonderful experience going alone

3: again, I would not want to eat with a perfect stranger

the menus change at least twice a year. the menu I looked at before I was there last was totally different to what we were served. he needs ot trust the chef to knwo the best way to present the food.

I am a foodie, my boyfriend is not. While I would prefer to have an amazing dinner with my favorite person, or any good friends, i would not hesitate going alone if the timing/financial situation allowed it. i disagree with the previous poster who says it would be a complete waste of a wonderful experience going alone. I think it would be a complete waste of a wonderful experience if you didn't go at all.

Sabcook - thanks for the info on the Chef's Table. I must have been thinking of the ones onboard Princess and Norwegian Cruise Lines.

They can only do so much with what they have on hand and if they reduce it all to fried chicken and fries, that's a LOT of $$$$ to spend.

I seem to recall several threads where folks have asked this similar question about going alone. Personally I think it would be fine and I know the servers will treat you right!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter