Solo Trip - September 18 – September 22, 2015

Im going to WDW either that last week of Sept maybe Sept 23-29. If not then Im going early Oct. This will be my second solo trip. Going to MNSSHP and cant wait. Dont know if can help u out with tip as alot has changed but not all so ask me what questions u want.

Hi, Thanks for replying!!

I've managed to go 3 times in the last year… just not as solo. I've never done a tour, but I'm thinking of doing the KTTK tour this time…. Typically, as a family, we do a TS meal most days - but, I'm thinking of doing CS this time (with a plan to have sushi at Kimono's one night!). Any other things that you'd recommend for a solo traveler? I'm not shy and don't mind eating alone, I'm only choosing to do CS because I want to be more 'free' in my plans and not tied to reservations. I'm planning on staying at POP (I, personally, love that resort!!).

Lucky u going to WDW so much. This yr will be my first time since 2008. That time I stayed at Pop as well and enjoyed it. My resort this time depends on free dining. I might try a moderate resort if free dining is offered. If not I want to stay at All Star Movies where I stayed back in 2002. Hmm ok I myself like the dining plan and character meals. Counter service is fine too. Some good CS places around the parks. As solo u have more free time. I like fireworks,shows,parades and character meet and greats. Water parks are always fun. As a solo they have single rider lines at some of rides. Another trick is when u hear a CM ask if any single riders are in line willing to join a group for a ride go for it. I did KTTK last time and loved it. Comes with meal and when we went backstage Woody took over our tour for awhile. Im going on a different tour in the MK this time. Hope that helps some.

I was thinking of doing a moderate, but I feel like I would 'miss' POP - plus, when we go back early next year, we're doing POR-FQ (we think!), so I figure I will save a few $$ with doing my solo trip. Loving POP, it isn't really a sacrifice for me!

Even when we go as a family, we love the single rider lines (my girls are older almost 15 and 12)! Love them… so, definitely planning to use the single rider lines! Typically, I stand back and don't get my pics with characters - but, this trip, I totally plan to!!! I can't wait to do KTTK!!

Thanks, again, for your reply!!

Not going those dates (but am in two weeks), but as someone that seems to alternate between family and solo trips, I definitely encourage you to go and have fun! September should be a great time...summer weather, but the crowds are way down.

The nice thing is you get to do what you want when you want. If you want to rope drop, do it...if you want to sleep in, do it.

My DW and I did KTTK Fall '13...you'll love it! Definitely do that...and go early so you can do Main Street with (almost) no one on it.

On Single Rider lines...I think they got to know me at Test Track.

I just got back from a solo trip and am planning another one for around those dates!

I really enjoyed doing things other than rides as a solo traveller, normally that's what my family does but this time I got to see all the shows and meet so many characters, who were all really sweet, sometimes I felt they spend a bit of extra time with me since I was solo. I also really enjoyed making a but of magic for kids, like buying them a balloon of waving to them from the railway. If you don't object to a lot (and I mean a a lot!) of walking I thought it was great to pick rides/show attractions at opposite ends of the parks to do after each other, constantly walking from one end of the park to the other meant I got to see so many magical moments! Sometimes I'd even end up walking along next to characters (though that was more in DL, I went to both this trip).

I've gone solo the last 3 years. I wish family and friends would tag along, but I have had a blast each time going solo. If you aren't shy and don't mind dining solo, I recommend treating yourself to a couple of nice meals on the trip; Kimono's sounds like a blast. Two trips ago I did nothing but CS, except for one night I had a late-night "snack" at Beaches and Cream and then on another I had the trip's "nice dinner" at Il Mulino. It was a great change of pace.

Speaking of pace, that would be my biggest tip: stop and literally (and figuratively too) smell the roses, take things slowly, soak up all the great details in the parks/resorts that you wouldn't normally notice if you had your family with you, and do some bucket list items that you might not normally do/never would do with the family. The truly nice thing about going solo is you dictate everything. When you get up/get to sleep, where you go, what you do, the freedom is awesome! I don't know your family's touring style but I would reflect on thoughts you may have had when you went with your family... "I wish we went there"..."I wish I could have spent more time doing"..."I wish we ate there"..."One thing I have always wanted to do is"... Make a list of things you couldn't do if your family was there with you or maybe ask them what's something they/you would want to check out so that you can bring that experience the next time you go as a fam.

I'm pretty lax about my concerns for the "looks" that others give me for being a 29 y/o male in the parks going solo, but since I was a kid, one thing I wanted to do was the Hoop Dee Doo Revue and check out Fort Wilderness; but for some reason I couldn't bring myself to go. In Sept. I finally got a chance to go and absolutely loved the vibe from the resort and that show. I have no reason to camp or stay in a cabin, while going solo, but I loved The Revue so much that I booked it again for my trip in May. I would simply recommend trying new things you haven't/wouldn't do if your family is with you.

I've gone solo the last 3 years. I wish family and friends would tag along, but I have had a blast each time going solo. If you aren't shy and don't mind dining solo, I recommend treating yourself to a couple of nice meals on the trip; Kimono's sounds like a blast. Two trips ago I did nothing but CS, except for one night I had a late-night "snack" at Beaches and Cream and then on another I had the trip's "nice dinner" at Il Mulino. It was a great change of pace.

Speaking of pace, that would be my biggest tip: stop and literally (and figuratively too) smell the roses, take things slowly, soak up all the great details in the parks/resorts that you wouldn't normally notice if you had your family with you, and do some bucket list items that you might not normally do/never would do with the family. The truly nice thing about going solo is you dictate everything. When you get up/get to sleep, where you go, what you do, the freedom is awesome! I don't know your family's touring style but I would reflect on thoughts you may have had when you went with your family... "I wish we went there"..."I wish I could have spent more time doing"..."I wish we ate there"..."One thing I have always wanted to do is"... Make a list of things you couldn't do if your family was there with you or maybe ask them what's something they/you would want to check out so that you can bring that experience the next time you go as a fam.

I'm pretty lax about my concerns for the "looks" that others give me for being a 29 y/o male in the parks going solo, but since I was a kid, one thing I wanted to do was the Hoop Dee Doo Revue and check out Fort Wilderness; but for some reason I couldn't bring myself to go. In Sept. I finally got a chance to go and absolutely loved the vibe from the resort and that show. I have no reason to camp or stay in a cabin, while going solo, but I loved The Revue so much that I booked it again for my trip in May. I would simply recommend trying new things you haven't/wouldn't do if your family is with you.

I'm only now seeing your response! But, I love it!!

I'm not, at all, shy - so I'm definitely doing a few meals. I'm doing Kimono's and I've always wanted to try HBD, so I'm trying that as well (those are my 'treats', I suppose). Neither of those have ever appealed to my family, so I thought I'd give them a try solo.

I've already booked the KTTK tour (which is another thing that my family has never been too excited about). I'm hoping I will enjoy that. I plan to do spend some time visiting some of the resorts (and am planning a spa treatment at the GF). I've also planned to do one day where I visit all 4 parks… just to say I did. All of these are things that, likely, I wouldn't do if I wasn't traveling solo.

I've never done Hoop Dee Doo Revue - but, we've thought of adding that to our trip next January!!

Hope you have fun on your trip in May!

Oh, I'm also trying Spice Road Table this time … tried to get the family to try it last time, but they didn't want to :)

I'm only now seeing your response! But, I love it!!

I'm not, at all, shy - so I'm definitely doing a few meals. I'm doing Kimono's and I've always wanted to try HBD, so I'm trying that as well (those are my 'treats', I suppose). Neither of those have ever appealed to my family, so I thought I'd give them a try solo.

I've already booked the KTTK tour (which is another thing that my family has never been too excited about). I'm hoping I will enjoy that. I plan to do spend some time visiting some of the resorts (and am planning a spa treatment at the GF). I've also planned to do one day where I visit all 4 parks… just to say I did. All of these are things that, likely, I wouldn't do if I wasn't traveling solo.

I've never done Hoop Dee Doo Revue - but, we've thought of adding that to our trip next January!!

Hope you have fun on your trip in May!

I'm actually kind of jealous of your trip, it sounds AWESOME! HBD is soooooo good, it's 1:30 in the morning but the Cobb Salad sounds great right about now....

And I have really wanted to try that KTTK tour, but my last few trips have been too short to make it happen. And this trip and IF I can make the Dec. DAP trip happen, I don't think it will be possible then either. *SIGH* One of these years I suppose :D But I hear it's a really unique way to look at the park, so that sounds like a lot of fun.

And have fun with that 4 parks in a day; it's a looooooong one, but you will feel so "accomplished"! Parkeology has this awesome WDW46 challenge I would love to try on one of these trips. Now THAT one looks exhausting: http://www.parkeology.com/wdw46-official-record

I completely agree with all the comments here. I have traveled to "the world" both with family or friends and solo. After my first solo trip I made a list, of all the things I have always wanted to do but could not when with a group. My first was to walk every store and inch of the pavilions at Epcot. What a peaceful day. Also don't be afraid to strike up conversation with other parties in line with you. I have met the most wonderful people and even picked up tips while sharing my own. I also shy away from pictures with cast members when I tag along with my brother and his family, letting the kiddos get the picture. Last time I traveled solo, I was walking through Epcot when Belle was walking to do her meet n greet spot and I said "hello Belle", she replied "bonjour." I jumped in the short line and was like a kid again. The photo pass cast member took my camera and I got a picture which is now on my refrigerator. That broke my shyness to get a solo picture with a character and now I have a bunch.

Have a Blast on your trip.

I'm actually kind of jealous of your trip, it sounds AWESOME! HBD is soooooo good, it's 1:30 in the morning but the Cobb Salad sounds great right about now....

And I have really wanted to try that KTTK tour, but my last few trips have been too short to make it happen. And this trip and IF I can make the Dec. DAP trip happen, I don't think it will be possible then either. *SIGH* One of these years I suppose :D But I hear it's a really unique way to look at the park, so that sounds like a lot of fun.

And have fun with that 4 parks in a day; it's a looooooong one, but you will feel so "accomplished"! Parkeology has this awesome WDW46 challenge I would love to try on one of these trips. Now THAT one looks exhausting: http://www.parkeology.com/wdw46-official-record

Looking forward to trying HBD! I've been eyeing the Cobb Salad! I know I want some grapefruit cake (tried it once at Starring Rolls).

I will let you know what I think of the KTTK tour! I'm really looking forward to it!!

Can not wait to try the 4 parks in one day! I'm certain I will feel accomplished once I'm done!! I assume you've done 4 parks in one day? What was your strategy?

I completely agree with all the comments here. I have traveled to "the world" both with family or friends and solo. After my first solo trip I made a list, of all the things I have always wanted to do but could not when with a group. My first was to walk every store and inch of the pavilions at Epcot. What a peaceful day. Also don't be afraid to strike up conversation with other parties in line with you. I have met the most wonderful people and even picked up tips while sharing my own. I also shy away from pictures with cast members when I tag along with my brother and his family, letting the kiddos get the picture. Last time I traveled solo, I was walking through Epcot when Belle was walking to do her meet n greet spot and I said "hello Belle", she replied "bonjour." I jumped in the short line and was like a kid again. The photo pass cast member took my camera and I got a picture which is now on my refrigerator. That broke my shyness to get a solo picture with a character and now I have a bunch.

Have a Blast on your trip.

Sounds like a lovely way to spend your solo time! I'm so looking forward to it!! I'm not shy, at all - so I'm certain that I'll have no issues with talking to others. Someone asked me the other day why I would want to go by myself… and I replied "Because, short of ordering food or making a purchase, I can talk to people only when I want to!" Having had one trip that wasn't so pleasant (went with someone who does not tour AT ALL like me, I adore the idea of NOT HAVING TO TALK unless I want to… lol. I'm sure I will talk to people all the time - but, going solo gives me the option not to… I sound anti-social (I'm seriously not!!) - but, if you've ever experienced a 'less than magical' trip - you'll understand where I'm coming from!

Can not wait to try the 4 parks in one day! I'm certain I will feel accomplished once I'm done!! I assume you've done 4 parks in one day? What was your strategy?

I've done it a couple of times. Strategy? Lots of coffee! :D haha honestly I did one that was planned out hour by hour based on avg. wait times and travel time and all that (aka super crazy ocd day). But the last time it wasn't really planned, the weather and crowds and park hours just kept me moving along between parks and I decided to just go with it. But what I'd do is list 3 or 4 attractions (I did 5 actually) that I must do and then a list of 4 or 5 attractions I wouldn't mind doing/seeing to fill in the extra time per park. I give myself at least 2 hours (usually more like 4) in each park to do so + 1 hour commute per park + 1 hour lunch + 1 hour dinner. I took advantage of EMH in the morning and my last park would be MK since it's usually open the latest. During my impromptu 4 day adventure I apparently did EMH AK -> bus to DHS -> DHS -> walk/boat to EPCOT -> EPCOT -> monorail to MK to close out (and judging by my pics I did all 4 before the sun even went down). But the best thing is that there are no rules! The last time I barely spent any time in DHS and just decided to after a few rides and walking around for an hour that I was good and moved on. A fun and easy way to document it (and to brag to family and friends) is to pose in each park (apparently I learned to count during the process too :P)
WP_000745.jpgWP_000747.jpgWP_000750.jpgWP_000753.jpg

Looking at your signature I'm guessing your days are pretty packed already so I don't know if there is a "good day" for you to do it. I think the parks close a little earlier since the kids just started going back to school (not to mention MNSSHP is starting up too), so hopefully the crowd levels would be low enough to tackle the parks much quicker; looking at the park hours I think the BEST day to 4 park it would be on Sat the 19th though, simply because you have the most hours to work with. That Monday might be tricky though with only (haha) a 12 hour window to work with.

But just give a little thought to what all you want to "accomplish" on your 4 park day and go with it. As long as it's not too crazy of a plan you should be able to do it.

I've done it a couple of times. Strategy? Lots of coffee! :D haha honestly I did one that was planned out hour by hour based on avg. wait times and travel time and all that (aka super crazy ocd day). But the last time it wasn't really planned, the weather and crowds and park hours just kept me moving along between parks and I decided to just go with it. But what I'd do is list 3 or 4 attractions (I did 5 actually) that I must do and then a list of 4 or 5 attractions I wouldn't mind doing/seeing to fill in the extra time per park. I give myself at least 2 hours (usually more like 4) in each park to do so + 1 hour commute per park + 1 hour lunch + 1 hour dinner. I took advantage of EMH in the morning and my last park would be MK since it's usually open the latest. During my impromptu 4 day adventure I apparently did EMH AK -> bus to DHS -> DHS -> walk/boat to EPCOT -> EPCOT -> monorail to MK to close out (and judging by my pics I did all 4 before the sun even went down). But the best thing is that there are no rules! The last time I barely spent any time in DHS and just decided to after a few rides and walking around for an hour that I was good and moved on. A fun and easy way to document it (and to brag to family and friends) is to pose in each park (apparently I learned to count during the process too :P)
View attachment 91817View attachment 91818View attachment 91819View attachment 91820

Looking at your signature I'm guessing your days are pretty packed already so I don't know if there is a "good day" for you to do it. I think the parks close a little earlier since the kids just started going back to school (not to mention MNSSHP is starting up too), so hopefully the crowd levels would be low enough to tackle the parks much quicker; looking at the park hours I think the BEST day to 4 park it would be on Sat the 19th though, simply because you have the most hours to work with. That Monday might be tricky though with only (haha) a 12 hour window to work with.

But just give a little thought to what all you want to "accomplish" on your 4 park day and go with it. As long as it's not too crazy of a plan you should be able to do it.

So funny!! We're thinking along the same lines! I'm planning Saturday (utilizing EMH!). I'm looking at an allowed 3 hours per park (give or take). My *thought* is 3 things in each park (except MK, where I have a couple more things) - with a snack / drink or meal in each park. I LOVE THE IDEA OF THE PICS!! Will totally do something like that! Genius!

I have a touring plan (seems kind of ridiculous considering only a handful of things) - but, it helped me think it through.

Thanks for the feedback / tips - keep them coming!! :)

So funny!! We're thinking along the same lines! I'm planning Saturday (utilizing EMH!). I'm looking at an allowed 3 hours per park (give or take). My *thought* is 3 things in each park (except MK, where I have a couple more things) - with a snack / drink or meal in each park. I LOVE THE IDEA OF THE PICS!! Will totally do something like that! Genius!

I have a touring plan (seems kind of ridiculous considering only a handful of things) - but, it helped me think it through.

Thanks for the feedback / tips - keep them coming!! :)

Even though Saturday is probably the busiest day of the week at WDW, the crowds should be low(er) by mid/late September and hopefully keep wait times down as well. You're good to go with 3 things in a park, especially if you are giving yourself ~3-4 hours per park (I highly doubt you'll find 60 minute waits for 3 straight rides). Plus with short waits during EMH and getting to a second park before noon, there should be lower wait times there as well. Throw in some single rider lines and you should find you have time for a bunch more than you have planned per park.

Throwing in a touring plan is never a bad idea; peace of mind is always a good thing. I'm spontaneous and laid back, so I just go with the flow no matter.

I'd save those FP+ for MK and just enjoy the (long) day :-)

Even though Saturday is probably the busiest day of the week at WDW, the crowds should be low(er) by mid/late September and hopefully keep wait times down as well. You're good to go with 3 things in a park, especially if you are giving yourself ~3-4 hours per park (I highly doubt you'll find 60 minute waits for 3 straight rides). Plus with short waits during EMH and getting to a second park before noon, there should be lower wait times there as well. Throw in some single rider lines and you should find you have time for a bunch more than you have planned per park.

Throwing in a touring plan is never a bad idea; peace of mind is always a good thing. I'm spontaneous and laid back, so I just go with the flow no matter.

I'd save those FP+ for MK and just enjoy the (long) day :-)

Yeah, I think I will be able to do more than what I have planned - but, I just picked my FAVES as the must do items!! I don't think that I'll have any issues!! Definitely saving the FP+ for MK.

I don't even know if I will follow the touring plan - but, it helped me plan my day out at least… I'm never one to really stick to them.. I do them, I think, just to keep my mind busy until I'm actually there! lol. But, it definitely helped me figure out what order, timing, etc. to do my day!! I think it is going to be so fun!! I can't wait!

It sounds like you're going to have a blast! I'm at Disney 9th-22nd Sept (after 2 1/2 days at Universal) and staying at All-Star Movies (never done a value before so can't decide if I'm excited or dreading it....)

I did my first solo trip last Sept at the same time and did touring plans and then pretty much threw them out the window when I got there. Went mostly with how I was feeling that day and how hot it was. There were some days when I just needed to go back to the room for a break and others when I went rope drop to park close. Longest line I ever had was about 50 minutes for Space Mountain right after Wishes so it was entirely my own fault. I found reading the boards for tips on which rides to hit first was way more helpful than the touring plan!

But anyway...I'm around at the time of your trip if you would like a park buddy at any point. I also have Tusker House, Raglan Road and Restaurant Marrakesh reservations over that weekend if you'd like a food buddy at all and I'm hitting up MNSSHP on 18th and 20th if you wanted to try that....

More than happy to just meet up a little or a lot if you would like to

Anyone else there around this time?

Also - as a first time solo traveler to WDW, any tips??

Thanks!!

Not going solo until October, but one tip for you-CMs seem to love to talk to solos. I walked up to a CM at AK once and said "You need to retire so I can take your job!" Well, she proceeded to tell me ALL about her job-how she got it, what working for Disney was like, the advantages of AK work vs other parks, etc. And once, when a CM on Spaceship Earth knew I liked seeing Hidden Mickeys, she sent me around several times to see all the HMs there. And once I even had a CM at a restaurant sit and keep me company, chatting about her work, while I was eating. It's really interesting what CMs will share! The funniest time was when a CM, thinking I was another CM, walked up to me and whispered that a certain TV channel was filming there, "But don't tell any of the guests-we don't want them to know!"

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter