Solo trip coming up - need advice from the experts!

mikesolo

The Disney Traveler
So, I've been perusing the boards, and I've noticed a lot of people have done what I'm doing in September - taken a solo vvacation to WDW, and it not be awkward. So I have a couple of advice questions.

I have made my itineraries, and even broken down where and what I want to eat. I've got my fastpasses and all reserved. I've got a list of the best use of my snack credits (I'm on the dining plan - whoo free!).

My first question is this - I'd like to get a disney themed backpack to use as my park bag. I have a major affinity to the Disney princesses, but I think I may attract attention if I'm walking around with a pink backpack. I'm getting a nice set of Mickey luggage from the Disney Store, but there's not a matching backpack for it. What are some of the ways you guys have disney-fied your touring bags?

Also, please feel free to comment any awesome hidden experiences you may have had - This is te first time I've been to WDW since about 2008, and I'm getting super excited! Hope to learn lots in the next few weeks!

Mike

I don't use a back pack so can't help you there but have done 2 solo trips and am doing another one in late Sept. I don't know about hidden experiences but I do know my best trips have been solo. Take your time and enjoy the trip, you will find people will talk to you in lines and I find the servers are always super nice to me in the restaurants, I've even had the chef come out a time or two.

The few Disney backpacks I've seen have been child sized, but I also haven't paid much attention lately to what is actually out there.

I've used a variety of bags at WDW over the years: small backpack, waist belt pack (fanny pack), small shoulder bag, string bag, etc, and more lately cargo pants/shorts with the cargo pockets filled with whatever I need for the day. Usually this is just a travel umbrella, a book to read while eating, and a water bottle. Ł

To customize your pack pack you might attach a Disney luggage tag. Gives it a Disney touch while also serving a practical function.

Mike, while I wouldn't wear a pink backback of my own I don't think you have anything to worry about if you do. What I have found is, people at Disney are so wrapped up in their trip they generally don't pay attention to others. How do they know you aren't carrying your daughter's backpack and are just meeting up with your family in a 1/2 hour? Nobody knows. I have done 3 solo trips and number 4 will be in January when I run the marathon. Very few people have even said anything to me about being alone. When they do I have had good experiences. Each year I met a family I sat next to at the parade and it was awesome. I say do what makes you happy as long as you aren't hurting anyone.

I agree with a previous post. My best piece of advice is to take it slow and enjoy every second. Going solo is so much fun and so relaxing, at least for me, because you can do what you want, when you want, and they only one you have to worry about making happy is you.

You could get a canvas backpack and then get some patches of various Disney characters and decorate it that way. It'd stand out less, but still be themed, plus it could be a fun project.

I've done a bunch of solo trips. I don't know if this counts as a "hidden" experience, but one thing I like is using the single rider lane-- you can go round and round on Everest, also Test Track (can't think where else?). And keep your ears pricked/eyes peeled as you get close to any loading area-- you'll often see a cast member holding up a finger, looking for a single to fill a spot.

If you decide to check out any of the resorts, try to say hello to the greeter in the lobby-- maybe ask a question about the resort to get them talking. They're usually the older CM hanging around the entrance. The ones I've met clearly have that job because they're awesome-- really warm personalities, with a wealth of Disney knowledge and experience. I also find them to be a great reminder of how to pace myself; I don't know if it's because of their age or position, but their vibe is just so calm and kind, so homey. They're in no hurry and truly happy to talk with you. I find those kind of interactions do wonders to help me feel grounded and connected when I'm traveling alone. I've also had memorable convos with CMs who are posted specifically for guest interaction, e.g. by the animal viewing areas at AKL.

Mike, while I wouldn't wear a pink backback of my own I don't think you have anything to worry about if you do. What I have found is, people at Disney are so wrapped up in their trip they generally don't pay attention to others. How do they know you aren't carrying your daughter's backpack and are just meeting up with your family in a 1/2 hour? Nobody knows. I have done 3 solo trips and number 4 will be in January when I run the marathon. Very few people have even said anything to me about being alone. When they do I have had good experiences. Each year I met a family I sat next to at the parade and it was awesome. I say do what makes you happy as long as you aren't hurting anyone.

I agree with a previous post. My best piece of advice is to take it slow and enjoy every second. Going solo is so much fun and so relaxing, at least for me, because you can do what you want, when you want, and they only one you have to worry about making happy is you.

Ditto

My first question is this - I'd like to get a disney themed backpack to use as my park bag. I have a major affinity to the Disney princesses, but I think I may attract attention if I'm walking around with a pink backpack. I'm getting a nice set of Mickey luggage from the Disney Store, but there's not a matching backpack for it. What are some of the ways you guys have disney-fied your touring bags?

There is a more trendy targeted at teens store in downtown disney called Trend-D. It's all disney themed but non-child fashion styles. That's the best place I can think of to try to find a bag that may fit what your looking for when you first get there. If you can do some internet searching and happen to find something before you get there, call guest services in downtown disney and for a fee they will sell and ship you anything.

Also, please feel free to comment any awesome hidden experiences you may have had - This is te first time I've been to WDW since about 2008, and I'm getting super excited! Hope to learn lots in the next few weeks!

The best "hidden" advice I can give is talk to some people. Generally in the main smoking area of any resort (closest to food) you can easily find people that are there for several weeks or a month and they always seem to know the new/changed/special options that haven't hit the websites yet. They also tend to be the people I just stumble upon day after day in the parks. It makes it more family/neighbor feeling for me.

I also had a large gap between visits and theres a ton of changes that have been happening, enjoy yourself and slow down a little and just take it in. Don't forget to check out what the resorts have going on, a lot of nice options outside the parks.

I rarely use a backpack... I prefer to carry around as little as possible and even do an extra small purse. But I do own one of the Disney bag style backpacks, that is literally a bag with drawstring/straps, that is just enough if I do need alittle extra room for some reason. I agree with what PP's have said - if you want to wear a pink Princess backpack go for it. To me Disney is all about bright happy colors, and if I even noticed a man with a pink backpack I'd think that was pretty cool.

Hidden experiences - I'd recommend signing up for one of the tours. You'll be spending several hours with a group, Keys to the Kingdom even does a lunch break at Columbia House, and it gives you an opportunity to chat and connect with others... and get some really interesting behind the scenes information.

Enjoy your trip!

now this is just me but I carry a fanny pack - first you don't have to take it off to ride - you will a back pack, secondly it is far, far lighter than a back pack so you just might have some energy left at the end of the day (night) -

if you can make a list of what you would put in this backpack - then cut the list in half and half again. there are nursing stations at all the parks - so if something goes wrong just go there. the less stuff you have with you the less stuff you need to worry about.

I've done 4 solo trips and loved them all! I thought it would be awkward or weird, especially at restaurants, but it totally wasn't! My advice is don't be shy, talk to the CMs or friendly guests near you in line. I had the best conversations with some of the ride CMs and servers on my solo trips. In particular the waiter I had at CRT in 2013 was so nice and he made sure that he was around whenever the princesses came to my table so he could take my picture, he gave me extra little "souvenirs" for free and talked to me quite a bit. I think the CMs really like solo guests as a lot of families are too busy talking among themselves to have a real conversation with them, while solo guests don't have that distraction. I took 3 tours on solo visits too (Keys to the Kingdom, Wild Africa Trek and Behind the Seeds) and that was also fun as in smaller groups you have others to talk to, and, again, it was not awkward at all.

I don't use a backpack either . . . I prefer a smaller cross body bag. That's something that could be easily decorated with pins and buttons and luggage tags until you found your ideal bag that absolutely met your needs and was more attractive. Backpacks are a bit too large and ungainly to get in and out of the cargo nets on attractions. And the bigger the bag the more time security needs to take to check it before the gate. Definitely make some special ADRs. Other guests are too wrapped up in their own issues to pay much attention to another table. Re a hidden experience: don't forget to ride Jungle Cruise at MK after dark. A completely different and a bit more adult vibe! Have a great time!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter