• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Solo travelers, please help!

Glencora

Be good then, and don't.
I'm going to be at WDW solo the first week of May. I'm trying to decide exactly what I need to take to the parks with me each day and what I could do without. So far, my list is:

*tickets
*credit card
*sunglasses
*camera
*lip balm
*meds
*hand sanitizer
*blister treatment

I plan on getting water from the carts and CS restaurants, and I have drink mix if I don't like the taste. So....what's missing? What don't I need? Any and all advice is welcome! All you DISboarders have been so helpful, and I've learned SO MUCH from reading these boards. TIA.

I'm going solo and this is what I'm taking into the parks with me:

ticket/room key with charge privelages
small amount of cash
small 1st aid kit (minimal amount of meds, blister treatment in a ziploc)
camera
cell phone
itinerary sheet for the day

I'm pretty sure that's it. I used to take a backpack full of stuff, but it's just too hot to do that, so I've tried to get it down to the bare minimum.

Thanks for the quick response! I was wondering about my cell phone... I don't have kids at home or anything, so I wasn't sure if I'd need it. Do you mind if I ask what you use yours for?

I don't have any kids either, but I like to have it with me just in case an emergency should come up. I'm usually at the parks from opening to close(including late night EMH's) and my mother (yes I'm an adult and have been out on my own for nearly 9 years) likes to check in with me to make sure I'm ok. She worries about me traveling alone. Other than that, I don't use it.

don't forget about rain gear just encase there is down poor in the afternoon.

Don't forget to bring a little tube of sunscreen. Nothing will ruin a trip faster than a bad sunburn. Otherwise, you seem to have it covered.

Camera? I sometimes use my cell to take pictures but otherwise a camera for special moments. Sunscreen, chapstick, and a poncho are a must.

I'd put charge privileges on your room key and leave the cc locked up. I used my cell phone a few times on my last solo trip – I found times like a relaxing trip on the TTA to be a great time to call friends at home to chat for a moment.

Thank you for all of your responses. I had completely forgotten about making sure I had a list of my ADR's. Thanks for the reminder!

What kind of sunscreen do you usually carry with you? My dermatologist told me to use Neutrogena with helioplex, and the only ones I could find were full size - not sure there's room for a whole can of sunscreen in my purse.

I'm not staying on-site (five star resort for $200 a week, anyone?), and I think I'm actually going to buy a pre-paid Visa at AAA for safety. I usually take A LOT of pictures wherever I travel (my sister has requested shots of the F&G show), so I think I'm stuck with the camera.

Again, thanks for all the suggestions! Keep 'em coming!

What kind of sunscreen do you usually carry with you? My dermatologist told me to use Neutrogena with helioplex, and the only ones I could find were full size - not sure there's room for a whole can of sunscreen in my purse.

Many of the higher end sunscreens have travel sizes. You might do well to look online or go somewhere like Target where they will many different kinds. There has to be a smaller tube somewhere ~ it might just not be Neutrogena.

I bought some Neutrogena Dry-Touch sunblock with helioplex spf 70 in Wal Marts the other day for my May 3rd-10th trip. Each can had a tiny 0.5 oz tube of Neurtrogena Dry-touch with helioplex sunscreen with spf 55 attached to them as a freebie. Those tiny tubes will be perfect to carry into the parks. Each tube is only 1 1/2"x3". They also had some Bullfrog and Coppertone in small travel sizes back in the travel stuff.

I usually carry:
tiny suncreen
cell phone with Dining # programmed into it (may want to change an ADR)
camera
AP
credit card
ADR #'s
little cash
tiny flat pkg of facial blotters
travel size deodorant or travel size baby powder
lip balm with suncreen in it
pen with small notepad

something else I picked up at Wal Mart the other day was a small Germ-x Handi-Pen hand sanitizer. It looks just like a pen, but is full of hand sanitizer. I figure I'd be able to use it to spray a down a table as well as use it on my hands to kill germs. It's only about 5" long and as big around as your finger. I picked up two of them.

Don't forget something lime green so we can ID you as a DIS-er and say hello! I think we're in Epcot the same days, I'll be on the lookout. I have one lime green polo shirt for one of the days, and plan to have my LGMHs on my bag someplace. Anything distinguishing about you that we could recognize you?

This is my 1st solo trip - I can actually take a small PURSE! No backpacks full of water, snacks & extras for the kids!

Don't forget something lime green so we can ID you as a DIS-er and say hello! I think we're in Epcot the same days, I'll be on the lookout. I have one lime green polo shirt for one of the days, and plan to have my LGMHs on my bag someplace. Anything distinguishing about you that we could recognize you?

This is my 1st solo trip - I can actually take a small PURSE! No backpacks full of water, snacks & extras for the kids!

I'm going solo, too May 4-12. :cool1: Maybe I will find something lime green to wear if you don't mind more comapny. Not sure of my itinerary though ~ so much to do, so little time:woohoo:

I bought some Neutrogena Dry-Touch sunblock with helioplex spf 70 in Wal Marts the other day for my May 3rd-10th trip. Each can had a tiny 0.5 oz tube of Neurtrogena Dry-touch with helioplex sunscreen with spf 55 attached to them as a freebie. Those tiny tubes will be perfect to carry into the parks. Each tube is only 1 1/2"x3". They also had some Bullfrog and Coppertone in small travel sizes back in the travel stuff.

I usually carry:
tiny suncreen
cell phone with Dining # programmed into it (may want to change an ADR)
camera
AP
credit card
ADR #'s
little cash
tiny flat pkg of facial blotters
travel size deodorant or travel size baby powder
lip balm with suncreen in it
pen with small notepad

something else I picked up at Wal Mart the other day was a small Germ-x Handi-Pen hand sanitizer. It looks just like a pen, but is full of hand sanitizer. I figure I'd be able to use it to spray a down a table as well as use it on my hands to kill germs. It's only about 5" long and as big around as your finger. I picked up two of them.

Great idea about loading the ADR phone #s into your cell phone::yes::

Thanks for the tip on sunscreens! I'll check some local drugstores to see if I can find anything. And I'll definately have to head to Home Depot for a lime green Mickey head! Don't think that I have any wardrobe choices in that color, but I do have shirt with limes all over it. Hmm...

Picked up a couple of ponchos at the dollar store, so I should be set in case of rain. You know the rule: if you bring the raingear, it won't rain. But if you forget it - thunderstorms all week!

Hope to see some DISer's in the parks. Thanks agin for all the help.

Don't forget painkillers of some kind. I always carry some Aleve or Ibuproffen for muscle aches and some Excedrin for a headache. If you aren't used to walking a lot or the Florida sun, both will come in handy. And maybe some Tums or Rolaids in case your tummy isn't used to "vacation" food.

As far as sunscreen, I like the spray on kind. Even the big bottles fit in my purse (maybe my purse is too big??), it's easy to apply, and it doesn't leak. Just a thought.

I may now actually be set! I did a trial run with my new Baggallini purse, and a full can of sunscreen does fit - and isn't very heavy.

I always keep painkillers on hand for headaches, and after reading the thread on ginger pills, I picked up a variety ginger products to take with me (in case I don't like one). Here's hoping I can ride the roller coasters again without getting sick! I have REALLY missed that.

Thanks again, everybody! See you at WDW!

I'll be solo in WDW May 5th and 6th, I'm going to try do the lime green thing, most likley a LGMH or two. I'd be happy to chat with any of you all so be looking for a younger, white skinned, yankee tourist. Thinking Epcot all day on the 5th and either Epcot again on the 6th or a Keys to the Kingdom tour at MK.

I'll be solo in WDW May 5th and 6th, I'm going to try do the lime green thing, most likley a LGMH or two. I'd be happy to chat with any of you all so be looking for a younger, white skinned, yankee tourist. Thinking Epcot all day on the 5th and either Epcot again on the 6th or a Keys to the Kingdom tour at MK.

I'll be at AK til closing on the 5th & then Epcot, then Epcot all day on the 6th so we're bound to run into each other. I love your description - a young, white-skinned Yankee tourist....not sure I even know what I'm looking for! Hey I work for Yankee Candle - that makes me a thirty-something, white-skinned but hopefully tanned, Yankee CANDLE tourist!!!! Oh and I'm female. And very short. I pan to wear a lime green polo shirt on the 6th plus have a LGMH on my purse the other days.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter