• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

solo traveler where to stay

Bethar1978

Fun disney loving Bostonian!
Where should I stay being solo on this trip? I read the yacht club but I waned to try and keep within a budget! Thoughts?

That's a hard question to answer for someone else. After multiple solo trips I can honestly say that any WDW resort would be great. I would suggest checking out the 1st page of the different Resort Information and Questions threads. They are chock full of awesome information that should help you out. But to help with a recommendation:

What is your budget?
How long of a trip?
Are you in the parks from open until close only using your resort for a place to shower and sleep?
Which park or parks will you be spending most of your time?
When are you going?

I can spend 2500 to 3K
no I would like a resort that has a bar where I can relax and enjoy.i was thinking Port Orleans French Quarter
Animal Kingdom MGM and Epcot Magic kingdom maybe once.

January 31 to the 6th of FEb

I would look at the Swan or Dolphin. Easy access to DHS and Epcot but lower priced than the WDWEpcot resorts. Check for any special rates that you qualify for such as teacher or nurse. You will have to pay for a Mears shuttle, though, because DME doesn't service the Swanor Dolphin.

If you want a moderate, I would go with CSR in a business class or preferred room. Lots of bars/dining options there, bus service is great and the overall atmosphere is more 'adult', IMO. BC includes breakfast, some snacks and some beverages as well.

Any of the WDW resorts are fine, however. I have gone solo to the ASMu resort and felt very safe doing so. I booked preferred and stayed in the wel lit areas.

Just keep common sense in mind and you will be fine at whichever you choose.

Enjoy!

I can spend 2500 to 3K

With that budget for a room you could probably stay at any WDW resort. Might have to book a standard room at Grand Floridian, Poly and Contemporary.

no I would like a resort that has a bar where I can relax and enjoy.

Every WDW resort has a bar. The Values will only have a pool bar. The Moderates, except CBR, and Deluxes will have a pool bar and an indoor bar.

i was thinking Port Orleans French Quarter

That is a nice choice. Of the moderates, CBR is our favorite but both POR and POFQ are very nice. Plus POR and POFQ have boat service to Downtown Disney and have nightly entertainment in their bars.

Animal Kingdom MGM and Epcot Magic kingdom maybe once.

Animal Kingdom Lodge is on our bucket list after having a couple meals there. Maybe check that out.

January 31 to the 6th of FEb

So having a nice pool might not be a big factor then.

Where should I stay being solo on this trip? I read the yacht club but I waned to try and keep within a budget! Thoughts?

I suppose the answer depends upon what your concerns are: safety, convenience, food options, etc. As a solo traveler, I prefer Port Orleans French Quarter. Its small size means everything is within a very short walk of the food court, bus stop and lobby. I feel safe returning to my room at night because the pathways are well lit and easily navigable.

I stayed at both CBR and POR on two separate occasions when I was in Orlando on business...

I just read that you can spend $2500 to $3000. If that's just for the room, you have lots of options. For that money, I'd consider the Boardwalk resorts along with POFQ. The Boardwalk area is fun, and you can't beat the location next to Epcot. However, if the $2500 to $3000 is for the entire vacation (room, tickets, dining), then it seems you'd be limited to the moderates and values. In that case, I would recommend POFQ.

Coronado Springs is a wonderful moderate for solo traveling...feels a lot more relaxed and deluxe-y than the other mods & values. POR & POFQ are also very nice.

Have fun...solo trips are amazing.

Solo trips are amazing I don't know this will be my first time and I am scared. I have never done this before every one on my facebook thinks it will be amazing for me so maybe they are right.

Solo trips are fun, but be sure to get in some practice time before your trip. Go to festivals, zoo, museums etc. solo and eat out a few time too. I do many things alone since I refuse to not do something just because no one else can go with me. But that isn't for everyone. If you're not used to doing fun things alone, Disney might not be the best place to start.

I've gone solo before to Yacht Club and Beach Club and also to both Port Orleans resorts. I'd have no hesitation recommending any of them if you want to go, but my preference if your budget allows for it is the Yacht Club because it's a good location, it's more geared for adults (not to say that families don't go but when I was there, there were more couples).

If you've never done a solo holiday before then I'd second recommendations to do some practice runs seeing a museum and particularly eating on your own. I always find it's good to take some good books and good music along with me.

1F

Solo trips are amazing I don't know this will be my first time and I am scared. I have never done this before every one on my facebook thinks it will be amazing for me so maybe they are right.

Disneyworld probably is the BEST place for a solo trip. No one will look at you askance because you will be one of many, many solos. Lots of solos stay at the resorts and go to the parks. Even if people are there with a group, they often split up and hit the rides and shows on their own, so no one will even think twice about seeing a solo on a ride or at a show. Dining as a solo is more fun at Disneyworld than in the "real world." Again, you will see other solos in the restaurants, but if dining alone at a table makes you uncomfortable, check out the bars at the signature restaurants. Even if you don't drink, the bars are a great place to order a meal. The bartenders/servers are friendly, and it can be entertaining to watch them work. As a solo, you also might enjoy signing up for a tour or two. Wild Africa Trek is one of my favorites, but I think you would enjoy any of the tour options.

I'm sure you will have a wonderful time at Disneyworld!

I haven't done solo, but started bringing my kids without my husband when they were 4 and 6. I don't find anything at Disney in any way unsafe, but I've traveled a lot. Disney is so easy with children, especially with ones with special needs (both my kids have them in one way or another).
Honestly, my favorite trip recently was to Pop Century! My DD and I have gone alone last two trips, and our trip in March to the BWI we both felt was not worth the cost. Then we went to Pop and absolutely loved it. It had everything we wanted (including very efficient bus service, a pool bar that I didn't use but they do have one, very decent food in the food court, and the room was super comfortable). Only thing it didn't have was a coffee maker, so I shipped a $15 Black & Decker travel one from Amazon (along with a couple Amazon Pantry boxes of drinks and snacks) so I had excellent Cafe Bustelo espresso every morning (much better than Disney's Joffrey crap).
If it were me solo, I'd do value or moderate. Unless you're driving (I loved Magical Express, then maybe look at the Swan).

Side note: When my kids were young, I was overworked, so did a few weekends away at the Ritz near me alone. HEAVEN. I'd eat out, order movies in the room, maybe do room service, enjoy myself. I love to go away alone! I also now love my mom/daughter trips! Son is in college; husband isn't too into Disney like we are.

I just booked my first solo trip for January 20th-25th. Everyone I have told thinks I am crazy, but I am really looking forward to it. With an orbitz discount code I was able to get AKL for only $200 (total) more than POFQ and thought I might feel a little safer solo with inside corridors. Plus I liked the idea of dinner at the bar at Jiko.

Solo POFQ fan here! I like it for the small size; nowhere feels too remote. Nice central location. Pretty, quaint and charming.

I go with my sister, but that is really just to share a room. I visit the parks solo a lot. One time while watching Festival of the Lion King I started chatting with the woman sitting next to me - she was down for a conference. We ended up going to a few other shows at AK together and then had lunch at Rainforest Café. It was a lot of fun!

Keep an open mind and you will meet some great people.

Yearly solo traveler here. Love going solo. Any resort works solo- I have stayed at Pop- my favorite value, Carribean and my next trip is POFQ. It gets high marks on the solo boards for being quiet, small and a neat resort overall. I have stayed at PORS and loved taking the boat to Downtown Disney. POFQ gives you access to PORS too. I tend to stay value on solo trips cause I tend to tour commando style but my next trip I am forcing myself to relax more. Part of that was choosing a moderate resort.

I've done multiple solo trips to WDW and it's awesome. I love going with family too, but like another PP said, just because someone may not want to do something with me isn't going to stop me from doing it.

For hotels, I've stayed at CSR, Pop, and AoA on my own. I've thought they have all been great for solo travelers. I personally like the values to save a little money and then being able to use that money elsewhere whether it be food or souvenirs. I think it really depends on how much time you plane on staying at the resort and what you like in a resort. I'm mostly in the parks all day, so I don't need the amenities, but I can understand if you want to build in some relaxation time by staying at a moderate or deluxe.

Enjoy your trip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter