Solo spouses how do you approach?

Evansvillegirl26

Mouseketeer
I'm taking my first solo trip in 3 weeks!!! My husband and I go to disney together every year but I have always wanted to take a solo trip. I love spending time alone always have. My husband totally gets me which is great. He was cool about it when I brought up going. He's a teacher and can't take off anyway. I just got to thinking how did you approach your spouse about taking a solo trip? Part of me feels guilty for spending the money on just me.

Since my husband was the one who surprised me with my first solo trip (my Mother's Day gift-"Mom's Weekend"), I can't help too much-he was more than supportive. Also, he's found some real advantages to my solo trips, primarily the fact that I love the Fantasyland rides, and he has no interest in the "kiddie" rides, as he calls them. Would you believe he was actually embarrassed when I rode Triceratop Spin? But with my solo trips, he's relieved that I can "get it out of my system" riding the rides as much as I want and I no longer "bug" him about it on our trips together. Also, I've introduced him to some great restaurants because on my solo trips, I often try one or two new restaurants. I figure it's much cheaper-so if I don't like the restaurant I don't feel so bad. So in some ways, my solo trips are "scouting missions".

I took my first solo trip last May when my DH and 2 DDs were going on a scuba trip. They were leaving on my birthday! When I got a pin code I decided to go solo to WDW while they were gone. I am going back in Sept when he goes on another scuba trip. I would like to have gone during the food & wine festival but the timing was wrong. I would feel strange going while he was home I think, easier for me when he is spending money on a trip for himself at the same time.

DW doesn't mind me going solo as I enjoy WDW more than she does. She thinks once every 3-4 years is plenty. But she is also used to me traveling on business, so going solo anywhere is nothing new for either of us.

My solo trips to WDW have been during business trips. In 2013 I had a conference at the Swan and Dolphin so went down a few days earlier to enjoy the parks. Last March I joined her on a business trip and I went solo while she was at a conference in Orlando. She has another conference this year, but since I've only 2 free days I decided to visit Sea World, solo, this trip. But, we're also going on the Fantasy afterwards, so I'll get my Disney fix.

I'm taking my first solo trip in 3 weeks!!! My husband and I go to disney together every year but I have always wanted to take a solo trip. I love spending time alone always have. My husband totally gets me which is great. He was cool about it when I brought up going. He's a teacher and can't take off anyway. I just got to thinking how did you approach your spouse about taking a solo trip? Part of me feels guilty for spending the money on just me.

In Vermont during the winter months, just keep complaining about the cold snowy weather. If you complain enough times they will even buy your tickets.
Only kidding, if you are married for a while just ask, if you newly married that gets trickier.

I'm not going solo, but I am going this fall without my husband. He was so gracious to give us this time with my mom. Right after we decided to go, DH found out he gets to go to Alaska with his dad, my dad, his best friend and my brother. They're spending two weeks on the Kenai River catching Salmon.

As long as there is a mutual agreement, I can't see why not.

I'm not going solo, but I am going this fall without my husband. He was so gracious to give us this time with my mom. Right after we decided to go, DH found out he gets to go to Alaska with his dad, my dad, his best friend and my brother. They're spending two weeks on the Kenai River catching Salmon.

As long as there is a mutual agreement, I can't see why not.

Oh, no-we wouldn't have a mutual agreement about that one! I've been on the Kenai Penninsula (Soldotna) and there's no way DH would go there without me!

Regarding WDW solo, I leave Sunday morning and DH wanted to go grocery shopping this morning-he's actually looking forward to eating what he wants, when he wants. He also said that as he was shopping he was inviting any pretty girl he saw to his all-week party. That one I know he was teasing me about. :lmao:

Oh, no-we wouldn't have a mutual agreement about that one! I've been on the Kenai Penninsula (Soldotna) and there's no way DH would go there without me!

Regarding WDW solo, I leave Sunday morning and DH wanted to go grocery shopping this morning-he's actually looking forward to eating what he wants, when he wants. He also said that as he was shopping he was inviting any pretty girl he saw to his all-week party. That one I know he was teasing me about. :lmao:

We're planning on going there for our 10 year anniversary in 2021...:rotfl:

He is so excited though! I am thrilled for him! :goodvibes

I decided at the beginning of December that I wanted to go solo at the end of this month for the first time, it's actually my first time going on vacation by myself ever. When I told my husband he thought it was odd that I or anyone would vacation without their spouse. He eventually was ok with it but he's now worried about my safety or that I will have a nervous breakdown in the middle of a park when I realize I have no one to talk to. I find this funny seeing I'm a very talkative person and he's known this for years, lol. Just tonight he was saying not to worry about sounding rude if a guy asks me to help him with something in his room, I nicely reminded him it's Disney and held in my laughter. I know he's just overprotective. I can't wait to go in 9 days. :)

I have never gone solo to Disney, but I am a very independent person. I am sure next year I will go to disney atleast once alone. My husband is fine with it, I am heading to universal on Friday without him. He is happy to stay home and take care of the animals :wave2: when dining alone I bring a book, magazine, travel guide ETC, and ask for a view.

Haven't done a whole solo trip but DH is a golfer. We went to wdw this fall so I would have something to do while he golfed. I did food and wine by myself - which was awesome and spent a day at wizarding world - he has no interest in Harry potter. Have to say in the end I was glad I did wwhp solo- I got to do everything I wanted.

I'm kind of in the opposite situation as you. We often go together, but my wife is a teacher, so she can't go this time of year. I've been doing solo Disney trips in March for several years now. I enjoy going to spring training baseball games, so I'll do at least a couple of those and several days of roaming around the parks. I think back then she initially suggested to me that I go, and its now kind of a tradition. She gets a good part of the summer off while I'm at work, so there's some kind of balance.

My wife just got tired of me saying "Nobody wants to go with me." And said, "Just go ahead and go - make it a three day trip so you can give it a test run - then you'll find out if you can have fun on a trip alone, and if you don't, three days isn't too long to wait to come home." So that's what I'm doing! I'm so excited now though, I can't imagine that I won't have a blast. It's very liberating!

Offer your spouse the same opportunity. He might want to go fishing or hunting, for example. Perhaps he wants to enjoy a baseball fantasy camp.

There were a few times where I would enjoy a girls only trip and hubby would later take a trip with the guys to go golfing, hiking or whatever. We made it work. I had friends that were single when we were married and he had friends that were single. This made sense to us.

So good to know there are others out there that have supportive spouses. I had such a great time on my solo trip in January I asked my husband last night if he would be ok if I did it again this January!! He said go for it!!!! Can't wait to go solo again!!!

How do you all talk your spouse into this? Whenever I bring up a solo trip my husband gets defensive and says im being rude and excluding him lol...He loves Disney too but we take a family trip each yr in Sept plus we are going alone without the kids this coming January. I still want to go solo though even just for a few days.

Hubby has not problem with me going solo. He is going with me next month. In December I am going solo again for a quick 3 day trip. He doesn't like to fly in the winter.

I've been solo twice and had a blast both times. The wife thinks going to Disney every 3 - 4 years is plenty. I need to go way more than that. The last time wasn't really solo, I went with another buddy of mine who is just as big a Disney Nerd as I am. We went to Disneyland to celebrate the 60th. My wife gave me that trip as an anniversary present. Before anyone gives me grief about going on an anniversary trip without my wife, we are going on a 7-day cruise in one month to celebrate our 30 years of marital bliss.

My DH is very supportive of my solo trips -- he knows I'm a kid at heart. I first got a taste of being solo at Disney a number of years ago when traveling with my son and his girlfriend. I encourage them to go off on their own and just loved the freedom that comes with being on my own. Since then I've gone back solo many times, so many my DH started to think I was having an affair down there.... Like in the movie "Same Time Next Year". He's so cute - we've been together for 42 years now and once I assured him Mickey is my only other love, he's fine with it. :lovestruc

Honey, I'm going on a solo trip cause I need some "me" time. I was thinking either Vegas or Disneyworld? Which do you think?

Seriously, my DW goes on a weeklong trip at least once a year. Mostly with a GF, but sometimes solo for a weekend. I love the time alone with my two boys. We get to watch all the old classics, like Animal House, Caddy Shack, Airplane, etc. and eat nothing but chicken wings all week without the guilt.

Good luck.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter