Solo Epcot trip at top of my wish list!

JrsyDebs

Mouseketeer
Hi!

I am turning 50 later this year, and would like to look forward to celebrating the event in some special way. I have begun a "wish list" of ways that I would like to treat myself, because I know no one else will do anything for me. (I would not like a big party or anything like that anyway.) My list begins with big things, then filters down to more realistic, attainable (less expensive) things.

What I would like to do most of all is visit WDW solo, and I would especially like to tour Epcot solo to enjoy all the entertainment and attractions that my family was too impatient/cranky to bother with when we went together in November.

I think that I could do this without it costing much. But here is the thing: How could I ever approach my family with my idea of a special solo trip without them getting insulted, and thinking that I am thoughtless and selfish (or am I?)?

Has anyone out there ever been in this same situation, and how did you approach your family with the idea? Were they supportive or angry? I really don't know if I should do this (maybe I should just settle on something further down "the list" to celebrate 50) at all; but I really do want to just for a couple of days. Any advice?

JrsyDebs said:
Hi!

I am turning 50 later this year, and would like to look forward to celebrating the event in some special way. I have begun a "wish list" of ways that I would like to treat myself, because I know no one else will do anything for me. (I would not like a big party or anything like that anyway.) My list begins with big things, then filters down to more realistic, attainable (less expensive) things.

What I would like to do most of all is visit WDW solo, and I would especially like to tour Epcot solo to enjoy all the entertainment and attractions that my family was too impatient/cranky to bother with when we went together in November.

I think that I could do this without it costing much. But here is the thing: How could I ever approach my family with my idea of a special solo trip without them getting insulted, and thinking that I am thoughtless and selfish (or am I?)?

Has anyone out there ever been in this same situation, and how did you approach your family with the idea? Were they supportive or angry? I really don't know if I should do this (maybe I should just settle on something further down "the list" to celebrate 50) at all; but I really do want to just for a couple of days. Any advice?

define family....

When I was approaching this very thing with my husband, I made the trip seem like a gift to me. Since it is for your birthday, it might be easier for them to accept your going alone if they realize that they are giving you a gift.

JrsyDebs said:
Hi!

After our third trip to Disney with the kids last year, I immediately began to think about planning our next trip. At some point, I realized how badly I really wanted to experience the countries in EPCOT. Neither the kids or DH are very tolerant of our visits to the World Showcase, and I am a firm believer in "No Crankiness At Disney!" So, I never push the crew to do things they don't want to.

With all that in mind, I decided that I would take a little trip to Disney myself for two nights. We live in NJ, but my father lives in Vero Beach about an hour and a half from Disney. So, the kids and I are flying to his house for Spring Break and I am taking, not two, but THREE nights for myself in Disney!

I thought the kids would be really mad at me. Instead, my 8 year old said, You love it more than us anyway, Mom. You'll have a great time!"

So, just say you;re going to do it, and maybe your family will surprise you with their response! Happy Birthday!

Hi Debbs,

I am asking the same questions to myself. I know people are going to think I am wierd or mad for not asking them but I finally made a reservation for myself for three nights in July. My Dh and three DD's will be in California visting the in-laws so it will be the perfect time for me. I am a Disney freak which friends don't understand and I don't care if they do. I will have 4 days to see all the shows and events that my family is to impatient for and also to see the countries at the World Showcase at my leisure. I have a friend that wants to travel but she does not have the disney magic so I would rather go myself then to have to feel responsible for someone else's happiness.

Hey, thanks to you for your support!

I just wish I had family or friends in Florida so I could have an excuse to go down there in the first place!

I am still kind of mulling it over...BTW, my "family" is DH and DD14. We went to Florida last November, and the trip was mostly a disaster, sad to admit. (I had been very much looking forward to writing a trip report, but ended up really not knowing how to describe the fiascoes that happened with my DD who has mental health conditions and my DH who was just plain impossible!!)

The more I think about, the more I know I would LOVE a short solo trip to WDW. Maybe I could join some other solo DISers for a meal or other activity...

I understand just what you are saying!
I was blessedly able to do this while attending a conference at the Hilton a couple weeks ago. I was able to spend most of the previous day at Epcot. For the first time I got to hear Voices of Liberty, and a complete set of British Invasion. Later in the trip I was able to watch the Spectromagic Parade, and I saw the Beauty and the Beast show twice! I had never been able to do these things in 5 family trips.

spiceycat is right!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter