solo cruising

gokenin

DIS Veteran
I am thinking about taking a Disney cruise as a solo for a get away vacation and was wondering would I feel out of place? I know the parks are no problem for a solo but do not know how the people on the cruises would react to a solo person? I am probably over analyzing this but am just curious to hear from people that have done it already.

I didn't feel out of place as a solo, but I did find it boring at times. There's not much activity-wise that's not family-oriented. But I did manage to get together with my DISboards Meet thread, and met some great folks there. When I spent time with them, it was great.

Sayhello

We had a friend travel with us in her own cabin and she paid a single supplement which is not the same as double occupancy.

As to feeling out of place-we actually had a solo traveler as a table mate our last trip. She really enjoyed herself. The only bad experience she had was the night the rest of us went to palo and she ate dinner, in the dining room, by herself.

A lot is going to depend on what type of person you are --- as far as if you are outgoing then I would go for it!!! It is so easy to talk to people on the Disney cruises--- everyone is there for a nice time and I have found everyone to be very friendly---
Good luck-- I would gho for it--

I am thinking about taking a Disney cruise as a solo for a get away vacation and was wondering would I feel out of place? I know the parks are no problem for a solo but do not know how the people on the cruises would react to a solo person? I am probably over analyzing this but am just curious to hear from people that have done it already.

I'm going solo on the WBTA in a couple of weeks. Hope to meet up with some DIS people but look forward to some relaxing quiet time as well. This will be my 13th DCL cruise and I don't see how you could possibly be bored. There is always something to do!

Paul

You will have a FANTASTIC time! I did it the first time by myself a couple of years ago, and I am not the most outgoing person in the world. I discovered that I could do whatever I wanted, whenever I wanted - the perfect relaxing vacation!
I used my DVC points, and it was about 50% more points to go solo than it was listed for one based on double occupancy. I believe it was about the same difference for money (I booked a solo last year, and a friend of mine asked if she could go with me - of course I said yes!).
Everyone at my table for dinner was great - the family of 4 only ate with us the first night out, then switched to earlier seating. The other 2 couples each ate at Palo's but on different nights. I have never had a bad experience dining!
I also wanted to watch a college football game, and immediately found other cruisers cheering on the same team. We had a blast!
Just remember - you will likely never see these people again, so who cares what anybody else thinks! Have fun!

Even though I go with my child I am usually alone, I see her for dinner. There are single meet and greets aboard the ship so that you can meet other people that are traveling by themselves. When are you going? I'm going April 3-7 and booked a single room (it's like 75% of the double occupancy i.e. $2000 for double occupancy - $1500 for a single). I tend to go to shore (but stay close to the ship), go to the movies, play BINGO or do one of the onboard activities that they offer. Just check the boards for your cruise date and you can always meet up with some other people off of here.

I went solo on my first cruise. It helped that it was the mousefest cruise, so there were a lot of Dis and other friends on board. There is a single supplement, which is about 175% of the fare or something like that.

Just remember - you will likely never see these people again, so who cares what anybody else thinks! Have fun!

:rotfl2: these are famous last words in my house. I, being a shy person, am not one to get up and dance. I was egged on by the staff and told that same line. Well lets just say almost 6 yrs and 2 children later that's not so. I met the man I married on that trip and he just happen to walk in about 10 seconds after I got up to do the twist:flower3:
He was actually at our table but like the CM said I figured I'd never see him again.Little did he know:rolleyes1

Even though I go with my child I am usually alone, I see her for dinner. There are single meet and greets aboard the ship so that you can meet other people that are traveling by themselves. When are you going? I'm going April 3-7 and booked a single room (it's like 75% of the double occupancy i.e. $2000 for double occupancy - $1500 for a single). I tend to go to shore (but stay close to the ship), go to the movies, play BINGO or do one of the onboard activities that they offer. Just check the boards for your cruise date and you can always meet up with some other people off of here.

I am thinking of doing the repositioning cruise up the west coast next april and I got a quote for roughly 2500 for a suite with a verandha. I figure if i am going on a cruise might as well go all the way you know:thumbsup2

:rotfl2: these are famous last words in my house. I, being a shy person, am not one to get up and dance. I was egged on by the staff and told that same line. Well lets just say almost 6 yrs and 2 children later that's not so. I met the man I married on that trip and he just happen to walk in about 10 seconds after I got up to do the twist:flower3:
He was actually at our table but like the CM said I figured I'd never see him again.Little did he know:rolleyes1

What a great story :-)

Ask me this question in a few weeks. I am about to go on my 4th cruise, but it is my first Disney cruise and my first solo. I leave next week for the Magic in the Med.

So excited :mickeyjum

Even though I go with my child I am usually alone, I see her for dinner. There are single meet and greets aboard the ship so that you can meet other people that are traveling by themselves. When are you going?

I have to second those single meet & greets on the ship. They'll usually offer a "singles mingle lunch" (dedicated table in Parrot Cay) on the sea days and sometimes other single meets in Cove Cafe or Diversions. It's a great way to meet the cruise staff and other guests and by the end of the cruise you won't be able to walk from one end of the ship to the other without seeing a familiar face to say hi to. While Disney isn't exactly a cruise line that caters to single/solo travelers, at least the single supplement isn't 200% like it is on some other lines (I did *gasp* look into cruises on Celebrity and NCL). And while it doesn't attract a party crowd, it does seem to have this odd magnetic pull that seems to attract happy people.

I went solo on the EBTA this past April and had a great time. I was pretty active on my meets thread. There were others traveling solo. We linked up ressies so we had someone to eat dinner with. There were 4 solos and a couple. We got along great and when it was time for Palo, most of us went together as it was set up by someone on the thread. We were able to get the party room that seats 14. By being active on the meets thread you get to know people and I always found someone to sit with out on deck. We usually met outside Cove Cafe and brought our books/Kindles and just watched the world go by. Very relaxing.

I'll be trying it myself on the Dream at the end of March. I've done WDW solo a few times and loved it, so I'm hoping that I will have as great a time on the cruise. Thanks for asking this question, it's really given me some confidence that I made the right choice. :thumbsup2

I went solo on the EBTA this past April and had a great time. I was pretty active on my meets thread. There were others traveling solo. We linked up ressies so we had someone to eat dinner with. There were 4 solos and a couple. We got along great and when it was time for Palo, most of us went together as it was set up by someone on the thread. We were able to get the party room that seats 14. By being active on the meets thread you get to know people and I always found someone to sit with out on deck. We usually met outside Cove Cafe and brought our books/Kindles and just watched the world go by. Very relaxing.

I know THIS solo enjoyed those comfy chairs and a good book outside Cove Cafe with you! :hug:

The DCL is not a solo type of ship. There are few solo passengers on the ship. There are many more things to do for solo travelers on the other cruise lines. I travel solo myself a lot and find that there are more female passengers to meet on the other lines. It seems that the families, on the DCL and that is understandable, are not real friendly when they have their families to concentrate on. To tell you the truth, on DCL the singles meets usually end up with about 8-10 males and if you are lucky 1 - 2 females.

I cruised with a GS, but he spent most of his time at the pools or the basketball court.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter