Soda or Pop?

I for one am a very happy NYer now that "soda" is included.:D

EmmasGrammy, your poke story reminded me of the time that we lived in GA. I went to Walmart and was asked if I wanted a buggy. I had no clue what that was. :confused:

It turns out that's what the greeter called a shopping cart. I admit, I also got a case of the giggles.:p :p :p

Here in the panhandle of Florida it is "coke". My dad grew up in Alabama and always called it a "sodie water", my father-in-law calls it a "dope".

Growing up in Cleveland, it was "pop". I don't think we ever used soda. But, the Coloradoans call it "soda". I have finally converted to calling it "soda", but it was so hard......kinda like the name Colleen! In Cleveland it was Cal-een. Here it is Cole-leen. Still don't have that one down.

Pop is what we call it here in southern Kansas. But I have been to known to say "I want a "Coke" even when it's not Coke.

When my boys want a soda/pop they ask for a "coke". It usually means a Dr. Pepper though.

Ahhhh, AKB, you know exactly what I'm talking about!:D

Don't get me wrong (for those of you who wonder how we order drinks if we refer to all carbonated beverages as 'cokes.')

It's more of slang that's understood amongst family and friends. If I go to a resturant or fast food place, I'll order by name.

But if having family/friends over for a 'get-together', the question is..'who's bringing the cokes?' Meaning who's bringing the soft-drinks? :tongue:

I'm originally from Buffalo, NY where we called it "pop". Down here in FL everyone calls it "soda". I still say pop when I'm around my family, but when I'm out I say Coke or Pepsi or other brand name. We've been here for 9 years and I still can't say soda, it just sounds weird to me.

I always say coke or name the beverage I want by name.

Teri

I grew up in California and I always called it soda... then I went to school in Oregon, where I just finished and everyone looked at me weird when I called it that, since they call it Pop, so I usually take into account my audience. If I am with the fam. I call it soda. If I am with friends from school I call it pop. Funny story about regional terms..

One days when I was working at camp I ran down the the head counselors house to see what was going to be given out for snack that day. I ran up and told my girls excitedly that Otter Pops were for snack. Well I had never gotten weirder looks from people in my life! I thought everyone knew what an otterpop was!! Turns out it is only those of us on the West Coast. FYI Here in Ca and OR Costco and many other stores sell frozen juice pops. You know the ones in the plastic that are just about all flavored, colored, sugar, water? Anyway here the main brand is called otter pops and every plastic tube of juice has an otter on it for each flavor i.e. Ganzo Grape.... things like that. Anyway so every one I ever new just called all frozen juice pops otter pops. Well to make a long story just a little bit longer, aparetly everyone else if the world just calls them juice pops or iceys... Go Figure!

now this is an interesting thread.....
of course given that i'm from detroit, naturally i call it pop...
and i'm sure had i been guessing i would have said that Ohio refers to it the same way..
but i'm really surprised to hear that eastern canada and buffalo NY are pop country as well...

when i went east for university i learned all about soda, and standing 'on line" and all the other nonsense easterners say...:D

POP POP POP , always referred to as pop in my part of the UK , i've only ever heard it referred to as a soda when i've been in the states.

It's soda on Long Island, New York and soda here in Eastern North Carolina.:wave:

yodasdabomb ~ We had the brand name Otter Pops in NY when I was growing up. We called all those type treats, ice pops though.

It is Soda here in Southeastern PA. I am glad that Florida calls it soda too because Pop always makes me giggle. And, we always call the frozen popsicles either ice pops or freeze pops.

Always called it pop. My cousins in Wisconsin made fun of me for that, since they called it soda. They also made fun of my asking for pinapple and Canadian bacon (back bacon) on my pizza, known to us as a "Hawaiian," and suggested since I was from Washington, I might want apples on it instead!

Here in Rochester they call soda 'pop'. Growing up in eastern Pennsylvania we called it 'soda' & the juice-filled plastic things are called freeze pops or 'pops' for short.

When I first moved to upstate NY a few years ago my boys had friends playing with them outside & I yelled out, "Who wants pop?" - never giving it a thought they anyone could think anything but a freeze pop - especially since it was so darn hot out!

Needless to say, when I showed up outside with my freeze pops & handed them out I saw all of the boys looking at each other & then looking at me like I was strange. It was weeks before I realized - after doing it yet again - that they all expected a nice cool drink of SODA.:rolleyes: :teeth:

I still call it soda - can't get used to that 'pop' thing!

WE are from the Northeast and call it soda. My grandfather used to call it Tonic.

We have friends from the midwest that call it Pop .... couldn't figure out what they were talking about for the longest time. :hyper:

Wog.....finally!!!! I read the whole thread and could not believe the New Englanders had not chimed in on this one!!!

My mom grew up in Gloucester, Mass and we spent every summer there on vacation....whenever I asked for soda I would get strange looks....Tonic it is in some parts of New England!!!

When my mom first came to the New York area and asked for tonic...everyone thought she wanted hair tonic!!!

MJ

In New Jersey, it's "soda" as it was in Maryland and California where I used to live. I think it's in the Midwest that they call it "pop." Like a previous poster said, it's usually just safer to refer to the specific carbonated beverage by name.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter