• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Soda Now Complimentary on Disney Cruise Line

Originally posted by MrsPete
Erickthewise -- Are you saying that fountain Diet Cokes contain regular sugar (since you said they don't contain 100% NutraSweet)? How can that be? Does it come from the mixer stuff, not specifically from the Diet Coke "syrup"? Why don't diabetics go into seizures when they drink fountain diet sodas?

I don't claim to know much about how fountain drinks work, but I do drink Diet Coke, so I'd like to know more about this!

I'm not an expert either; I know just enough to be dangerous. :rolleyes: Fountain beverages are not the same as the canned versions, just run through a hose.

When I say they are not 100% Nutrasweet (as canned diet drinks are), I do not mean they use sugar. I mean they use part aspartame (Nutrasweet) and part saccharin; I believe it is roughly half of each. Apparently Nutrasweet does not "hold up" well under fountain mix conditions.

Saccharin was the artificial sweetener most widely used before aspartame was invented. It has been used for over a century but was the subject of considerable controversy when shown to cause cancer in laboratory rats under some circumstances. It is hard to get reliable information on its safety as nearly everyone has a political axe to grind on the issue.

My concern is more about flavor than safety. I've had fountain diet coke that was a reasonable imitation of the canned version, but I've also had fountain diet coke that tasted like diet pepsi with turpentine added! This happens at national chain restaurants. You just never know what you're going to get.

Does anyone have the link to the aaa website where they post the onboard credit offer as a substitution for the soda mugs?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter