soda in luggage?

The risk you take is the weight of an elephant on top of your suitcase. It's not elevation, but the entire plane load of suit cases weighting about 50 lbs, which do not stand side by side. They are tossed into the cart, go up the belt, thrown into the hull and wherever to stack. Unloading they are thrown back onto the end of a ramp for an agent to put on the belt, to throw in the luggage train back and thrown onto the baggage claim. Not a chance I would ever take. There are alternatives like garden grocer and other deliveries. I wouldn't recommend using the on site soda machines in the halls, they are $$$$.

Baggage is not loaded haphazardly in the aircraft! It is usually put on shelves in the cargo hold or loaded into containers.

Since no one can guarantee that their liquid beverages won't leak or explode, I think it is selfish to pack those items in a checked bag, no matter how well they are packed. Just because one hasn't had a problem or issue in the past, doesn't mean it can't happen.

There are alternatives that don't involve putting other people's things at risk.

While I am guilty myself of packing a bottle of white wine several years ago, wrapped in a towel, plastic bagged, then wrapped again....I won't do it again because of an incident which happened to me a few years ago as the result of someone else packing liquid in a checked bag. We arrived on a late afternoon flight at MCO, had yellow tagged our checked bags for delivery to our resort, so just got on ME and headed to our resort. We had dinner reservations, so checked in and freshened up a bit and left the room to make our reservations. We arrived back at room about 11:00 p.m. and DH's bag was there....not mine...but our phone was blinking with a message from Bell Services to call them when we arrived at room. Well........the bellman arrived at our door a few minutes later with my bag........completely ruined.......with someone's baby formula soaked thru it......the smell was awful and the stains were unbelievable. Fortunately, I learned years ago...after my bag sat in a bag cart on a snow wet runway in January.....to pack everything in plastic travel bags inside my bag so only the outside of the plastic travel bags were soaked and smelly. The bag itself was another story........Disney took full responsibility for the damages and sent a castmember shopping the next day to repurchase a similar bag to the one ruined. They said it must have happened on the bag truck coming from the airport since there was no indication at the airport of a problem. However, my bag wasn't the only one affected.......the person whose bag had the formula packed inside was ruined as were several others which were either below or next to the problem bag. I don't know if I was the only one who had all of my clothing packed within plastic inside the bag....if I had to venture a guess I would say most likely.....since I've sort of taken an informal poll amongst friends and relatives and not very many people pack in plastic inside their bag. So, valuable lesson here......don't pack liquid items in checked bags unless they are padded and wrapped extremely well....preferably don't pack them at all. Keep in mind......not only your belongings could be ruined but others also.

I have also packed small cans of Pepsi in my luggage (for my daughter). Always put them in two ziploc freezer bags. Last trip I also packed all my clothes in space bags. Used the padding of the space bags to cushion the cans.

Since no one can guarantee that their liquid beverages won't leak or explode, I think it is selfish to pack those items in a checked bag, no matter how well they are packed. Just because one hasn't had a problem or issue in the past, doesn't mean it can't happen.

There are alternatives that don't involve putting other people's things at risk.
It it really any different from transporting shampoo, lotions or any other liquids in your luggage? The risk is always there.

It it really any different from transporting shampoo, lotions or any other liquids in your luggage? The risk is always there.
The difference is the quantity & consistency - lotions & shampoo are much less likely to get out of the bag. JMHO. YMMV.

I've never seen any evidence that it exploding will make any difference in getting other people's belongs wet. I've had liquids break in my bags before. The outside of my suitcase doesn't even get wet. Think of this logically... The liquid will mostly be soaked up by clothing. Then the liquid must penetrate the edge of the bag which is usually decently sealed or the material making up the suitcase which takes way more liquid to soak through than what will be in a bag.

Not only have I never had a broken liquid show any evidence of leak through my bags, but I fly a lot... 50-100 times a year. Never once have I seen any evidence of this happening. Granted I can't say for sure that it's been tested, but law of averages says my bag has been in the vicinity of one that has had liquids explode. I've asked friends who travel frequently... Same thing. I just see no evidence that What Carol is saying is true... Of course some might exist but I'd say the risk to anyone's belongs outside your case is extremely low/negligible.

Now that being said, the damage it does to your own possessions is great. If bringing it, wrap it, bag it, etc. Protect it. Be careful with soda cans cause of pressure changes.

In the end, if worried, but a hard shell suitcase, wrap the liquids in cloth or bubble wrap and seal in a plastic bag. Doubt anything is gonna get on someone else's stuff then, not that I think it would in the first place.

About a year ago, I checked a bottle of wine in my bag, wrapped in bubble wrap. My bag was completely destroyed; looked like it had been dragged by a baggage cart along the tarmac. The side was ripped open, zipper broken, melted along the side. The wine was completely intact! Pack carefully; beverages should be fine.

Baggage is not loaded haphazardly in the aircraft! It is usually put on shelves in the cargo hold or loaded into containers.

Well, not in the planes our experience in loading. Time is money, they come up the belt, agent receives the bag and kick butt gal working grabbed it and slid/slung to the next gal. These lil soaking wet 100 lb women, hauled and tossed getting that baggage in. When my kid loaded the planes it was the same thing
Tons of weight on top of your bag, not sure what airline uou loaded that had swet racks and tender people loading.

Ok guys......lets not start getting heated. Everyone has different experiences. I have seen bags that had stuff dripping down the sides....can't say if it came from within the bag or from an entirely different bag. Does it happen often? No. BUT...if it happens to you, it's one time too many! Let me share with you what an old Transportation board poster said to me years ago, when I was asking about a particular type liquid...'You aren't going to a third world nation. You can get pretty much whatever you need once you get there! No need to carry everything, including the fridge, to Orlando!'. She was spot on. So much better to use a grocery delivery service than worry about overweight bags or breakage.

Do as you feel you must...just be careful. You don't want to be responsible for ruining someone else's stuff. Shampoo, conditioner, sunscreen, etc., are all very thick liquids. They aren't nearly as likely to get through all your clothing and the bag, onto someone else's bag. I know...I've had a bottle of shampoo get split...still not sure how that happened!! Thank heaven it was in a plastic bag, which of course I hadn't sealed tightly enough! But it was only my stuff that got messed up.

It's just the chargers that I pack. Always keep the electronics with me, would never risk my camera or tablet in the checked luggage

"all" our chargers (which they deem electronics btw) & Disney pins (termed collectibles) were the two categories of items AirTran refused to reimburse us when a checked bag went missing. bonus points that it was checked at the gate since no room in the overheads.:rolleyes2

I don't get the need to pack carbonated beverages, sure hope my luggage never gets nailed by somebody else's contents. However, the dollar stores sell large zip plastic bags. we use them to put wet bathing suits, etc. for trip home but would easily hold two or three 2 liter bottles

For those who want to bring along some booze (wouldn't recommend for wine or champagne), google rum runner flasks, very handy for land or :sail:

If I don't check my wine after visits to the CA wine country, or France or Italy, how will I get it home? I use a specialty wine suitcase and have used it many, many times with no breakage or other issues. Champagne, sparkling wine and soda will NOT explode in the cargo area. I do agree it's silly to check water and soda, which you can get anywhere, but to each his own.

I have a small hard sided cooler which will fit six 12 oz soda bottles (not longneck) or cans in it. I put the bottles in the cooler and pack the cooler in my suitcase. That way i have a small cooler for my trip. On the way home, you can put some of your souvenirs in there for a safe trip home.

I have also packed 12 packs of soda cans in my suitcase with no problem.

If all you need is pop why not just take a bus to DTD and walk across the street to the Hess station and get it.
For my trip last week I ordered 2 cases of water and a 8 pack of pepsi (12 oz bottles), and liquid hand soap from Amazon Prime Pantry and had it delivered for $5.99 to AoA. I got notified from UPS it was delivered to the resort. A few days before my trip I called and confirmed they had it. Then I went down and claimed it at bell services.

My bag and my sons got soaked by something. It was the way home so it wasn't as much of a big deal but please be careful packing liquids. I pack all items in zip lock bags that I do not want to get wet now. For all I know an airline attendant dropped them in a puddle.

I once checked full-sized bottles of shampoo and conditioner...

When I opened the bag, some of it exploded on to my clothes. I learned my lesson from that and put checked toiletries in shopping bags! I've also checked a 24-pack of beer cans, but they made it with no problem (and didn't explode when opened, either)!

If I don't check my wine after visits to the CA wine country, or France or Italy, how will I get it home? I use a specialty wine suitcase and have used it many, many times with no breakage or other issues. Champagne, sparkling wine and soda will NOT explode in the cargo area. I do agree it's silly to check water and soda, which you can get anywhere, but to each his own.
You ship it home.

You ship it home.

Seriously? Do you have any idea of the cost to ship a case or two of wine from France or Italy to the U.S.? Why would I do that when I can check it on the plane for free and have it as soon as I get home?

Plus, you do realize don't you, that if I ship it home, it's also being loaded on a plane?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter