• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Soarin'

shelldri

Earning My Ears
Who likes the new Soarin' ride and will it make me motion sick like many IMAX theatre rides do? :cool1: :moped: ::MinnieMo

I get motion sickness very easily, and had NOO problem. It's now my #1 favorite ride at WDW. Can't wait to go back some day!

Shelldri, I am very prone to motion sickness also and Soarin' is my new favorite! There is one scene near the end that is above the freeway in LA at night. I always feel like it's a tiny bit out of focus & I start to get a little dizzy, but the scene lasts only 5 or 10 seconds and I recover instantly. Don't let that scare you away, it's a fantastic ride! :sunny:

I felt a bit uneasy on this ride, but still loved it. I had to keep my eyes closed until we were out of the "clouds" because I didnt like the feeling it gave me. I can ride rollercoasters and spinning things, but this did mess with me a bit for some reason. The rest of my family had no problems and they were thinking I was crazy for being uneasy. My DD7 was leaning out in her seat making me nervous and I had to keep telling her to sit back. I even used the crotch strap that is there for smaller children just to make me feel better. Rode in the top row twice and the middle row once. I would do it again, but it does give me "flutters".

shelldri said:
Who likes the new Soarin' ride and will it make me motion sick like many IMAX theatre rides do? :cool1: :moped: ::MinnieMo
I agree with Eljay that same scene made me feel a little uneasy, but I closed my eyes & it was fine. I motion sickness easily too, and I love this ride. I can not ride Star Wars, Primeaval Whirl, I even get ill on the Tea Cups :goodvibes

I have an inner ear balance disorder and which causes dizziness and I went on this one twice and loved it, Never wished I had not gone on it at all. If you are concerned think about a draymine or some other form of anti vert drug

My wife and I just got back from a 4-day trip (Dec 1-4) and this was our first time on Soarin. All I can say is this ride is awsome, we loved it. Its right up there with Test Track but our favorite is still the Tower of Terror and Splash Mountain.

This is a wonderful ride and not to be missed. My wife, who doesn't ride thrill rides, rode this with no problem. We were at the Epcot opening on 12/03 and fastpassed this attraction first thing. We did other rides in Future World with no wait while everyone piled into soarin'.

I get sick on a lot of rides, but had no problems on Soarin. In fact I rode it 9 times! On the other hand, I felt really bad because I talked a lady into going on it and it made her sick. Really, there is no way of knowing until you ride it yourself. Just close your eyes if it bothers you.

jojomg, yes, Soarin is new. It is in Epcot, in the Land, replacing Food Rocks (which replaced Kitchen Kabaret).

ENJOY!!

It's great. Just make sure to do it early (or do it early stand-by and get fast passes for later). I've ridden in all three rows, and I prefer being on the bottom - the scents are stronger.

The closest common physical comparison I can think of would be to that of riding a ski chair lift, except you're seatbelted for Soarin' (and not weighed down by 15-20lb of skis & boots)...

GoofyDad869 said:
The closest common physical comparison I can think of would be to that of riding a ski chair lift, except you're seatbelted for Soarin' (and not weighed down by 15-20lb of skis & boots)...
That is an excellent comparison. that is exactly what you feel like.

Eljay said:
Shelldri, I am very prone to motion sickness also and Soarin' is my new favorite! There is one scene near the end that is above the freeway in LA at night. I always feel like it's a tiny bit out of focus & I start to get a little dizzy, but the scene lasts only 5 or 10 seconds and I recover instantly. Don't let that scare you away, it's a fantastic ride! :sunny:

Yep, there's something about that scene. Made DW and I just a tiny bit dizzy. But nothing that would keep us from riding Soarin multiple times.

I don't know though. If IMAX movies bother you, Soarin might also. It's basically watching a movie on a spherical screen while you are in seats that are hanging and move to enhance the feeling of flying through the scenes. The motion is very gentle though. Just minor tilting forward and back and side to side. If you can imagine hangliding, that's what it feels like.

EDIT: Shelldri, what kind of IMAX rides are you referring to that make you sick?

Soarin on top of my list. I'll be there in one day to SOAR. :banana: :Pinkbounc :banana:

Watching IMAX movies makes me sick, but Soarin' didn't at all. I loved it. (I also have a hard time with rides like Body Wars and Star Tours.)

Thanks for the information everyone! In response to your question, I don't feel well after rides like Mission Space, the Teacups, Circlevision 360 movies from France and China, Star Tours, etc.

I know California Adventures has the ride and enjoy it! I have heard the one in WDW is the same as the one in California Adventures. I will be going to WDW in January and will get to see if they are truly the same ride. :earsgirl:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter