Soarin

Tinkermom76

Gawrsh
I have never been on this ride and wondering if it will be ok for me and my DD6 next trip. I was wondering if the wonderful Disers could help me with a few questions

1. do 6 year olds like it
2. how high are you suspended in the air?
3. are you in a seated or lying position?

TIA

1. Probably. WIth any ride, some will like it and some will not. It is a popular ride, so I am going to go out on a limb and say most folks who ride it like it. It is not a roller coaster or high g-force ride, so most folks who are able to ride it find it enjoyable. The only downside I find is that the wait is almost always long - even with a fastpass. But seriously, every ride at WDW has folks who do and don't like that attraction. Some folks are afraid of even the most timid ride, and others are not afraid of anything they've ever been on in any park.
2. depends. There are three rows. I don't have official info for bottom row, but the bottom row is I think only about 10 feet off the ground, whereas the top row is more like 40 feet (according to my travel guide) You dont really look down though. Mostly you look at the big projection screen infront ofyou. It feels like you are gliding.But you can always tell it's just a projection screen. IF you close your eyes, it won't feel like much of anything at all.
3. Seated. You are also strapped in. The only folks I've heard who have any problems with this are those that have an INTENSE fear of heights or VERY intense motion sickness. Overallthe ride is rather mild. It is like gliding, not intense dropping and rising.

the coolest par tof the ride is the pumped in mild fragrances. Nothign obnoxious or very strong. Indeed, many folks can only ID one of hte fragrances, but there are several different ones.

My 4.5 year old loved it the last time we were there. You can get pretty high off of the ground, depending on which section you're in. It's not good for people who get queasy by up and down turbulence (like on an airplane). You are seated.

As for how high you are above the ground, you feel like you are a mile up (hence the attractions well, attraction) but you are still pretty high above the actual floor underneath the screen. I think it's a good 40 feet or so. But you are held in with a lap belt. Once you're up there, you don't move around except for some mild swinging. Most of the effects are on the screen in front of you, or things like wind blowing on your face and scents being released (orange groves, pine trees, etc.)
There are plenty of kids riding Soarin' so I'd say go for it, unless yours is deathly afraid of heights.

I think it's safe to say that most people LOVE Soarin'.

I personally don't like it because I'm scared of heights. Even on the lowest level of the ride, I felt like I was really high up in the air.

My DD, age 5, didn't like it because she's scared of fireworks and there is a really loud fireworks scene for the finale.

If you don't have issues with either, you'll probably love it.

I am normally terrified of heights, but I love this ride. You do go pretty high, I think the first 'row' is about 40ft off the ground, the second two rows are lower. I have heard other people ask cast members to not be placed in that first row. (my first ride...first row). The motion is very gentle, but scenery and smells, etc. are just so wonderful I kind of forget that I'm up that high. The only time the height/motion bothers me just a little is the part where you're flying next to a fighter jet. It only lasts a second. My kids say they don't know what I'm talking about, they don't notice anything different during that part. Hope this helps!!!

You'll both love it. We rode it together as a family last year. My DD was 8 and DS was only 3 at the time. They absolutely loved the ride and so did we. It was the only big ride we did together as a family. Fantastic! How high you are off the ground depends on where you get seated. You are seated throughout the entire ride. You can be seated together. You'll be lifted off the ground and then start the flying journey. Your 6 yr. old will be fine. Enjoy! :)

My six year old loves this ride! And she is by nature a scardie cat. But for some reason this ride doesn't scare her. On our last trip she went on this ride mulitiple times.

Thanks everyone... I let her watch it on youtube and she seemed to like it. It will be nice for my DD8 who never seems to get to go on any "cool" rides cause her sister is little, I have been tring to introduce her to bigger rides now

My DS6's reaction to our first Soarin' ride - "That ride was AWESOME! Can we ride it again?"

'Nuff said. :thumbsup2

Unless you have a height phobia, this is a beautiful, exhilarating experience.
Even with a height issue, it's kind of hard to tell just how high up you are so it may not be an issue. This is the best Disney attraction of the past 30 years.:earsboy:

My son was 3.5 and I was a little unsure because of the height factor (my son was just barely tall enough to ride). He hesitated a little at first. Because he was seat belted into the ride, I felt better and he really like the ride.

I normally don't do well with heights (Dumbo was a little too high for me ... Seriously!), but I really enjoyed Soarin'. Now, my family and I were seated in the third row (the "tamest" row to be in where height is concerned) and I'll admit that I had that small moment of panic as soon as the seats began to lift. I was at the end of the row, too, and that kind of freaked me out a bit. However, when I was up there and the ride "began", I was fine. I just concentrated on what I was seeing and smelling. I knew that I could close my eyes at any time (I didn't) and being securely strapped in helped a great deal. It's not a dark ride, but it's dark while you're going up and that also helped me. You feel the height more than see it and I'd rather not see just how high up I am.

I have seen many little kids ride Soarin' and they always seem to like it. Like many people have said it can cause you to get a little queasy if your really prone to motion sickness. But it's nothing like mission space or anything like that. You do get high off the ground in the top row and even in the bottom row you are still pretty high up there but you cant really tell when the ride is going on cause the floor is dark so you really cant see how high you are. Also, you are sitting in an upright possition. I think this would be a great ride to try with your DD if she doesnt like it you dont have to go on it again is how i always look at it ;)

OP - I hope you don't mind if I ask another question relating to Soarin'.

In answer to the OP's questions, someone said these are seats in a row.

Does this mean my DS 6 and I would be sitting sidebyside close enough that I could hold his hand if he was scared or nervous?

OP - I hope you don't mind if I ask another question relating to Soarin'.

In answer to the OP's questions, someone said these are seats in a row.

Does this mean my DS 6 and I would be sitting sidebyside close enough that I could hold his hand if he was scared or nervous?

Yes, you would be able too. The seats are right side by side and they are really close together.

Youngest was 4 or 5 when she rode Soarin for 1st time and she loved it. She kept trying to lean over and "pop" the balloons. She was strapped in, but it scared DW, who is scared of heights, and mom did not do well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter