Soarin Strategies-any Tips?

We have had bad luck getting on Soarin using the International Gateway entrance. We are always there at the rope drop, and we are pretty fast walkers, but the people that approach from the main entrance always get there before our side. I think that the Epcot resort crowd should be given a few minutes head start!

Amen. It's a hugely unfair advantage for the main-gaters = especially since Soarin is so crazy-popular and the WS is not even open yet. IMHO, there's no reason to hold people waaaaaay back in the WS. They should let them in before the main gate opens and set up ropes on both sides of the bridge.

Isn't this why others can't get Fastpasses? Kind of defeats the purpose of FP.

Not really. There's a designated number of FPs given out for each time block (usually in 10 minute or so increments). FPs are given out from park opening, which means if people don't get all the designated 9:11-9:21 FPs, they're gone. They're not added to the next block. It's called smart planning, IMO.

Early bird catches the worm, folks ;)

rocktire - Soarin is simulator, but is quite different than Star Tours and Body Wars. When you experience Soarin' you are in a "hang glider". There are 9 "gliders". Each "glider" holds 8-10 people. I don't want to tell you too much about what the experience, so I'll be vague. You will be gliding in front of a big screen and you will experience a variety of sights and sounds of various locations in California.

Not really. There's a designated number of FPs given out for each time block (usually in 10 minute or so increments). FPs are given out from park opening, which means if people don't get all the designated 9:11-9:21 FPs, they're gone. They're not added to the next block. It's called smart planning, IMO.

Early bird catches the worm, folks ;)

We'll disagree on this one. I have read reports of people in the park late AM seeing FP times as late as 8pm. So to ride and hold a FP while riding/waiting for the same attraction is like taking up two spots at once. Not in the spirit of FP in my book.

I'll be on vacation so I won't stress out about stuff like this, but I do have an opinion.

Isn't this why others can't get Fastpasses? Kind of defeats the purpose of FP.
Nah, FPs are first-come, first-served. You snooze, you lose.

If you haul your dead butt out of bed early to be there so you don't have to wait in line the first time, there is no rule that says you can't ride again using a FP, or a third time using another FP. Or as many times as you want using as many FPs as you can get. :)

Nah, FPs are first-come, first-served. You snooze, you lose.

If you haul your dead butt out of bed early to be there so you don't have to wait in line the first time, there is no rule that says you can't ride again using a FP, or a third time using another FP. Or as many times as you want using as many FPs as you can get. :)

First off you're comment is anything but "Cool" how dare you refer to anyone on this board as a dead butt? You also have no idea how early anyone gets out of bed nor is it any of your business to tell someone how to portion their vacation time? Share your info, state your opinion, but don't judge people.

This is a discussion board, not an attack or jab and hide behind the keyboard venue. We are talking about vacations here, get a grip. While you're at it think about an apology. No one comes on these boards hoping to be disrespected. Its not expected that everyone agrees here, but everyone does have the right to express themselves and not be attacked. You didn't attack ideas, you attacked people, two very different things. Its easy to type, but think about what your saying and how its being said, thanks.

First off you're comment is anything but "Cool" how dare you refer to anyone on this board as a dead butt? You also have no idea how early anyone gets out of bed nor is it any of your business to tell someone how to portion their vacation time? Share your info, state your opinion, but don't judge people.

This is a discussion board, not an attack or jab and hide behind the keyboard venue. We are talking about vacations here, get a grip. While you're at it think about an apology. No one comes on these boards hoping to be disrespected. Its not expected that everyone agrees here, but everyone does have the right to express themselves and not be attacked. You didn't attack ideas, you attacked people, two very different things. Its easy to type, but think about what your saying and how its being said, thanks.

I did not get this vibe at all...it took Cool-Beans post more tongue and cheek. I don't know where you get disrepect or an attack from. I think she was posting in a general you, not a specific you.

That's how I took it also Fluffy...

there will always be debates, and disagreements on FP - We often just ride Soarin get our FP then haul on over to TT - some days it works, some days it doesnt...

I still LOL truly at hauling our rears out early - it always sounds so easy!!

You didn't attack ideas, you attacked people, two very different things. Its easy to type, but think about what your saying and how its being said, thanks.

Actually, you're the only one attacking. I also did not take Cool-Beans comments as any kind of an attack.

I'm looking forward to Soarin, last time we were there it was Horizons (which I really liked also). I appreciate these tips too :)

Ok, let's all take a step back .. I'm sure that no personal attacks were meant or implied. It was a generic "you" not directed at any one person in particular.

If a person takes a fastpass and then chooses to WAIT in the standby line, that is there prerogative.

Think of it this way, that means they are NOT in line at ANOTHER attraction you might like to see. ;)

The math behind the Fastpass system is incredibly simple but also not terribly intuitive.

A person who saves a Fastpass till later in the day doesn't affect the lines significantly unless EVERYONE does that, in which case, the group thinking has resulted in the FP lines being significantly SHORTER earlier in the day...

And in every case, anyone has a choice to use their FP when the lines are shorter or wait till later and take their chances.

Simple math. :)

Knox

The best bet is to take the front gate and head to Soarin at park open. we did this back in May. We walked right on to the ride with no wait twice as everyone headed for the FP machines. When we got off the second time we grabbed a FP and headed over to the living seas and came back once it was time for FP. So we rode soarin 3 times before 11am.

We arrived at the front gate during an EMH morning and were at the rope drop. Got a FP. Rode with a 10 minute wait, then rode using our FP. Nothing wrong with that.

Looks like front gate it is! Still not sure how to do Test Track and Soarin without a huge wait. We have had bad luck with Test Track so we are leaning that way first and then getting fast passess for Soarin. Hopefully the return will not be super late:scared:

Everyone has already given you good advice, I'm just going to add this: Do Not Attempt To Keep Up With The Crowd! Yes, I emphasized that. At rope drop a thundering herd will race, run, push, shove and generally behave obnoxiously in heading to the Land pavilion. I actually got shoved out of the way by a little old couple last time. Don't get in the middle of this. Get off to the side and follow along behind them. You'll still get your FP and a chance to ride standby without the risk of being knocked down (or worse your kids knocked down or cut off from you in the crowd.)

Oh boy, good advice about keeping safe with the crowd. I just have to remind DS age 21 to keep this in mind--he is always the leader in any crowd! Yikes! I have a tough time keeping up with him in a crowded college event. Forget DD-age 11 who's goal in life is to stay with or ahead of her big brother. ;) We will loose them for sure!:rotfl2:

I went to Epcot on Friday. Got there right at park opening (well actually, a good 45 minutes prior and stood in a hot sweaty line at the turnstile). They let you in at about 8:45 and walk you to the fountain past Spaceship Earth. There is a rope and you just stand there (picture the fountain and then Club Cool on the right). BE ON THE RIGHT if you want to go into Soarin. I was literally right behind the Soarin castmembers and although many people got in front of me, I literally had a five minute wait, if it was even that long.

True, I picked a "good day" (thanks you-know-who) to go but the best bet is to go right at opening, get on and then, IMO, grab a fastpass. I got a fastpass return time of 10-something to 11-something. So in that time I rode everything else I wanted to.

It's worth it. I never have rode Soarin and I couldn't believe how long a wait it had. I thought, is it really that good? IT WAS. I was blown away and when people CLAP after a ride is over, you know it was GOOD. If you're not a fan of heights, I'd suggest thinking twice. I was never a fan of heights but I can easily do a rollercoaster (well, Disney-style anyway -- I do get a tad nervous on Space Mountain and Rock 'n Rollercoaster), Tower of Terror. Soarin, I was a bit tense at times but overall it was a ton of fun. I loved it.

Soarin is a great ride but the line gets to be a little much. I think a factor of the long line is that Epcot is a little light on major attractions.

But the best bet is head to Soarin at open for your best chance at riding without long waits. My plan is skip FP for the time being and head to standby as the masses usually head for the FP 1st, get in a couple of rides, then snag a FP for later. :thumbsup2

i think being in the front row on soarin makes all the difference between a good and great ride. When we were there 2 years ago, they would let you wait for the next group to get in the front row. Anyone have recent experience with trying for the front row?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter