Soarin' shut down in November?

Maddysdaddy

DIS Veteran
Just looked at the calendar again for my family's upcoming trip over Veterans Day, and not only do we have to deal with Space Mountain and the Jungle Cruise being shut down, now I see that Soarin' is closed as well? Is that new, or did I miss an announcement somewhere?

That must be new because it wasn't on my dates just a few days ago and now it is.

It is new, I just checked last week and it was up and running, now closed the weekend we go. Sad thing is that this is my daughters favorite ride and this is our last trip for a very long time (think couple years). We missed it last trip and was hoping to ride it at least twice this trip. Ugh.

I hope it's back up for December....why would they take it down? It was just down for several months while they fixed the screens and re-themed that whole area of the park....?

I also think it just appeared...according to the Disneyland.com calendar, it's on the refurbishment list for November 2 through 12 (inclusive).

It did just appear.
I've found that when they have more than a couple of E ticket attractions down, they wont reveal a third or fourth premium attraction will be down until just before the date. They don't just plan a major shut down like that 6 days before the work is to begin, they plan far ahead of that.
This started about 5 years ago and I think it's to keep people like myself from planning around it and it keeps attendance linear - which Disney works hard to do. .

It did just appear.
I've found that when they have more than a couple of E ticket attractions down, they wont reveal a third or fourth premium attraction will be down until just before the date. They don't just plan a major shut down like that 6 days before the work is to begin, they plan far ahead of that.
This started about 5 years ago and I think it's to keep people like myself from planning around it and it keeps attendance linear - which Disney works hard to do. .
I think they also avoid putting some things on the calendar early because there's a certain amount of "if x is finished by this date then y can start on this date." Which is better than having a hard date for every refurb to start. It means that they reserve some until other attractions come back up.

Now I know WDW Soarin' is coming down for a long refurb to install new screens and HD systems to put in Soarin around the world starting in january until summer. Now as Soarin' here just had a lengthy refurb I'm curious of we are getting the film earlier because the lengthy refurb was done already ? It's just a very big theory but even if not it may be in preparation for it.

You know what! I'm getting pretty darn tired of getting hosed by Disney. First they take down Space Mt for 2 weeks instead of 2 days, then they cancel the Jedi Training without warning. And now, with a few days to go, Soarin' goes down? Seriously, Disney, you're full of garbage! Soarin' just went down earlier this year for 3 months. How do I know that? I was there!!! So two trips in one year, and they manage to pull down the same favorite attraction. What I'd like to do with some DLR execs I'll keep off these boards, but it wouldn't be pretty.

When this AP is done next month, so are we. Why keeping paying these stupid crazy always-going-up prices so that Disney can shut down the big rides a week before you show up? I think my future money will be going to cruises and beach trips. They can't shut down the ocean.

3 flights from Canada - $2,000
5 nights at the Disneyland Hotel - $2,000
3 - 5 day hoppers - $1,000
Space Mountain, Jungle Cruise, Jedi Training Academy and Soarin' closed - Priceless

Word, GatorChris.

It's so frustrating because it kind of kills the excitement that comes with an approaching trip. I told my DD8 about Soarin' and she said we should just cancel the trip. :guilty:

I know she'll get over it because she's resilient and there will be plenty of other things to do but, sheesh, it would be nice to know these things earlier. I sincerely hope IASW reopens on time because after Jedi training and Soarin' going down not to have that would be the clincher.

Agreed GatorChris. We are done as well. For your very reasons. Ugh. I didn't realize Jedi Training is down too, dang it, my son wanted to do that!

I'm so sorry, guys. :( I literally just canceled our WDW trip after hearing about Soarin being closed for our Spring Break trip (plus BTMRR, and rumors of Buzz being shut down). It's not worth the trip when our favorite rides aren't up and running. Seems extreme, but those rides have special meaning for Disney vets, and pulling them totally changes the feel of the vacation.

We booked a DL vacation in its place, our first real stay there, and I'm crossing my fingers that no big refurbs are announced for our trip out West.

Well if you must cancel, then go ahead and cancel. You're free to spend your money how you want to.

In the past I've experienced the same thing, MASSIVE REFURBISHMENT LISTS! I've learned not to hype anything at the parks. If an attraction is down we're disappointed. I believe it was our January 2013 trip. On the board it was nicknamed "World of Closures".
It seemed like there were more closures than open attractions.

It would be nice if Disney would post a schedule of refurbs several months ahead of time. But they don't and probably never will.

It is an expensive venture for everyone to visit DLR. I'm in the same boat as many others.
I plan and book long range, so Disney's schedule isn't really possible to consider.
The budget when I'm working on a trip is for 4 or 5 people. Airfare PDX to SNA, hotel 4 nights with 5 day hopper tickets. Plus costs once in the parks.
Chaaa Ching..ing..ing $$$$$

I glance at the list but don't put much stock into it. The current saying is "IT IS WHAT IT IS......."

Disneyland is going to be out of whack for sometime with Star Wars construction.

"IT IS WHAT IT IS......."

Geemo

Darned if they do, darned if they don't. I can guarantee that if refurbs weren't done, people would complain about it.

Bottom line: we have no idea about park operations. We don't know if something necessitated a repair or refurb. Some people seem to believe they know exactly what Disney is doing. I seriously doubt it.

If an attraction is make or break for you, then I guess Disneyland is a dicey proposition. There are no guarantees for any attraction on any day.

Darned if they do, darned if they don't. I can guarantee that if refurbs weren't done, people would complain about it.

Bottom line: we have no idea about park operations. We don't know if something necessitated a repair or refurb. Some people seem to believe they know exactly what Disney is doing. I seriously doubt it.

If an attraction is make or break for you, then I guess Disneyland is a dicey proposition. There are no guarantees for any attraction on any day.
Yes this. People complain about crowds and refurbs and changes in menus, characters, decor, etc. These things all happen at any business or vacation destination. Why is Disney expected to be different?

We booked a DL vacation in its place, our first real stay there, and I'm crossing my fingers that no big refurbs are announced for our trip out West.

Rivers of America and the train will be closed during your trip. Usually Spring Break has few closures, but something is almost always closed these days.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter