• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

So You Think You Can Dance Season 6

After all the raving about this season (and I guess producer disappointment as they kept comparing them to last season's dancers)....

I feel that this season will go into SYTCD history as an afterthought. A little experiment that didn't work.

They knew when Christmas was--it's the same day every year, imagine that.

They could have started the season 1 week early--they could have done any number of things (even an early top 20 double elimination week).

I feel they didn't give the constestants any justice or mercy and will quickly toss them aside. From the choreograpy, to the promotion, to the lack of a tour, to this pitiful finale of a final show--I kind of feel bad for this season. It's like they got jilted.

The final competition show was very anti-climatic for me.

I really don't care who wins. It's a total crap shoot as no dancer was given their due honor with a final solo or a group number or anything.

After all the moaning and groaning over the importance of solos in the beginning....to drop them???

Tells me that the producers just want this season in the can. WTG!:mad:

...ITA with this!

Actually, I didn't realize it was only an hour last night. I am so pissed. We had the family over for the holiday and I didn't sit down to watch until 8:45 only to find out it didn't record. Not only did SYTYCD not record, but neither did NCIS and none of my other shows were set, as if the system lost all information. And it wasn't just my DVR, since we have two, my daughter's didn't record it either. NCIS I can watch online, but not SYTYCD. I'll have to wait for the recap tonight.

You're not Cablevision, by any chance, are you? (see my previous post).

...that's happened to me also....I set the DVR to record, only to come home to find that it never recorded! :badpc:

Well, I felt Jakob & Kathryn were the top two dancers, but I knew going in where everyone would place. Kind of impossible to be against Russell winning, he just captures everyone with that amazing smile and makes you feel good. Sure he's a wonderful dancer, but I don't think anyone could beat that smile.

Hope no one lost their jobs last night -- audio was horrendous. It was funny every musical act had to pull out their earpiece . . . except Jennifer Lopez. I felt terrible for Leona Lewis, though. That movie had bought so much airtime for weeks and then she comes to debut the theme song & she can't hear what she needs to in order to sing it correctly. I'm sure Nigel heard some very harsh criticism last night & more will head his way today. Unfortunately I think that may have sealed the deal against the show having anything other than a summer edition ever again.

It's been lots of fun dishing the show with all of you, hope to see you all next summer for season 7!

Well that probably explains why I didn't like Leona Lewis' song. I should have realized something was off. Wouldn't know about Mary J. Blige, since I can't stand her and fast forwarded through her performance.

Was that Kevin who Russell called up on the stage after he won? I couldn't tell.

I was ashamed of how the whole show went down, for the dancers sake. I REALLY think they should't do "LIVE" shows anymore if they can't control something as simple as the sound! The part where Cat basically *begged* the last three of the top six to come on, dragging Russell with them, was painful to watch. Did anyone else think that from that point on any dance that included Russell was on video from a previous show? I just wondered, because they didn't pan the crowd and the dancers involved seemed to change clothes pretty quickly. I felt sorry for Jakob, too, that after the big reveal he just got shoved off, basically.

I love this show so much I'm just going to try and forget that this season ever took place;).

Terri

They said that the last two Russell dances were tapes of the prior performances...too bad for the girls who didn't get to dance. I assume he just wasn't in the last dance which featured the top 20.

The amount of confetti was insane - or maybe it was just right in front of the camera. Couldn't really see anyone's reactions because of it.

I was kinda sad last night when they kept showing clips of the dances Russell was in. I wish they would have improvised and picked a different dance. I mean they could have acknowledged that their favorite dance was Russell and so so BUT since he can't dance we would like to see Jakob and Ashleigh Hip Hop or something. If I wanted to watch the same clips of those dances I could have watched YOUTUBE for crying out loud.

Russell got the chance to dance with substitute partners when his partners were hurt but when the all mighty Russell gets hurt the show literally stops and cannot go on Live. How weird. Last night was just odd.

Don't get me wrong, I was rooting for Russell but I feel like last night wasn't "So you think you can Dance".

Oh and did anyone else notice that when Cat was interviewing J.LO after her performance her hair was all wild and crazy and then they had the remaining contestants come out and her hair was back to normal? It was like they took the interview from a dress rehearsal or something?

I was ashamed of how the whole show went down, for the dancers sake. I REALLY think they should't do "LIVE" shows anymore if they can't control something as simple as the sound! The part where Cat basically *begged* the last three of the top six to come on, dragging Russell with them, was painful to watch. Did anyone else think that from that point on any dance that included Russell was on video from a previous show? I just wondered, because they didn't pan the crowd and the dancers involved seemed to change clothes pretty quickly. I felt sorry for Jakob, too, that after the big reveal he just got shoved off, basically.

I love this show so much I'm just going to try and forget that this season ever took place;).

Terri

...a-MEN to THAT, sistah...:worship:

Russell got the chance to dance with substitute partners when his partners were hurt but when the all mighty Russell gets hurt the show literally stops and cannot go on Live. How weird. Last night was just odd.

Don't get me wrong, I was rooting for Russell but I feel like last night wasn't "So you think you can Dance".

...you are not alone in your thinking...

Oh and did anyone else notice that when Cat was interviewing J.LO after her performance her hair was all wild and crazy and then they had the remaining contestants come out and her hair was back to normal? It was like they took the interview from a dress rehearsal or something?

...what I don't get about that performance was that Kayla was a shining star in SYTYCD - Season 5, and last night, she was a glorified chorus girl...:mad: ....I thought I also saw Karen, from this season, as one of those 'powder puff' dancers...

...you are not alone in your thinking...

Ummm... but those injuries occur before airtime when there is time to plan who is going to fill in, and give that person a little time to rehearse and to switch around costumes. Russell was hurt DURING the show. There was ZERO time to decide who would fill in, no time for that person to rehearse, and no time to get the costumes together. Plus, the remarks of the judges before each dance were prepared and there was no time to write new scripted remarks for them.

The staging of even a two person partner dance doesn't just happen. It has to be rehearsed, planned prepared, and scripted. It's not possible to do that on the fly during a live show.

um, was Russell really even hurt tonight?

Yeah, if you watch the credits carefully, you can see that he stood on his foot and then did a little one footed crump, but then he's limping on the foot. He basically got excited and stood/walked on an injured foot and he paid for it almost immediately.

Ummm... but those injuries occur before airtime when there is plan who is going to fill in, and give that person a little time to rehearse and to switch around costumes. Russell was hurt DURING the show. There was ZERO time to decide who would fill in, no time for that person to rehearse, and no time to get the costumes together. Plus, the remarks of the judges before each dance were prepared and there was no time to write new scripted remarks for them.

The staging of even a two person partner dance doesn't just happen. It has to be rehearsed, planned prepared, and scripted. It's not possible to do that on the fly during a live show.

It just would have redeemed this poor season had they done something spur of the moment like that. I think the dancers are professional enough to remember past dances (I mean they have to do them on tour). SYTYCD just exposed themselves showing that maybe they just can't handle being live afterall. And that is sad if the judges have to be scripted on what to say- Guess they weren't choosing *their* favorites after all.

The show must go on! And I guess showing 3 previously recorded dances is they way to do it.

It just would have redeemed this poor season had they done something spur of the moment like that. I think the dancers are professional enough to remember past dances (I mean they have to do them on tour). SYTYCD just exposed themselves showing that maybe they just can't handle being live afterall. And that is sad if the judges have to be scripted on what to say- Guess they weren't choosing *their* favorites after all....

...didn't you notice how, when Kat asked each judge what their fave was, they 'looked down' every so often, as if reading a script, to 'introduce' their choice....you are right, BTW, about them using those specific dances on tour....

It just would have redeemed this poor season had they done something spur of the moment like that. I think the dancers are professional enough to remember past dances (I mean they have to do them on tour). SYTYCD just exposed themselves showing that maybe they just can't handle being live afterall. And that is sad if the judges have to be scripted on what to say- Guess they weren't choosing *their* favorites after all.

The show must go on! And I guess showing 3 previously recorded dances is they way to do it.

I don't care how professional one is, you can't just make a switch like that on a live show. There are so many more factors than just the dancers themselves. A live show is timed down to the second, so you just cannot alter the schedule on the fly. To think that it's that easy to make that kind of change is naive.

RadioNate, I'm sorry about your grandmother.

Thank you. Like I said, it was not unexpected and there wasn't any dramatic trauma. Just a very natural passing for a woman who lived a full life.

I did miss most of the finale. I saw Kathryn get 3rd until Russell was announced. I saw him sitting but didn't know he was hurt.

I'm ok with the results. Jakob and Kathryn will have great careers. The most commercially successful SYTYCD dancers haven't been the winners.

I was kinda sad last night when they kept showing clips of the dances Russell was in. I wish they would have improvised and picked a different dance. I mean they could have acknowledged that their favorite dance was Russell and so so BUT since he can't dance we would like to see Jakob and Ashleigh Hip Hop or something. If I wanted to watch the same clips of those dances I could have watched YOUTUBE for crying out loud.

In their defense....

Live shows where something occurs DURING the show that prevents a segment from taking place, get a bit tricky.

I.e. when Marie Osmond passed out on Dancing with the stars--they immediately went to commercial break and spent that time of course working on her if necessary while likely the producer, director go through their stress laden back up plans in the event that the person is unavailable. i.e. if her situation was so dire that she had to be treated on set or removed and taken to a hospital.

These favorite dance bits--are all hokie and pre-planned anyway. They try to pretend they are a little spontaneous, but they are very much not and are a planned part of the show.

It was smart of the producers to have the original dances on back up video to run in case they had to deviate due to something occuring during the live show.

I believe--until we are told otherwise--that Russel injured himself getting to the set or at the very least after the routine as someone posted an observation that he was favoring one leg towards the end.

I cannot recall if a commercial break occurred or what happened or if even they reported it to the director who essentially calls the shots on a live program. Cat wasn't even told and she is wearing an IFB so that they can feed necessary changes during a broadcast or instructions during commercial breaks.

But regardless of the chain of events, they did not plan understudies, if you will in the event of a live on air injury which they really haven't had in any of their prior seasons.

The show was a disaster from a production standpoint, no doubt about it--

But troubleshooting live on air--much easier to do from the comfort of your recliner.

I'm just surprised the medics don't have a back up set of crutches.:confused3

They said that the last two Russell dances were tapes of the prior performances...too bad for the girls who didn't get to dance. I assume he just wasn't in the last dance which featured the top 20.

The amount of confetti was insane - or maybe it was just right in front of the camera. Couldn't really see anyone's reactions because of it.

I zipped through most of the show--I do know they showed the original number they performed on the first night of the show (the show they did not compete) and it was a taped performance.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter