So who has seen Song of the South?

Jafar30

DIS Veteran
Even though it won't see a home video release anytime soon, the film can be watched on YouTube. The animated sequences are wonderful, but the live action scenes tend to drag a bit. As for the depiction of the African American characters I simply look at the film as a product of its time.

I own a bootleg VHS copy. I like the movie and see no reason why Disney shouldn't release it on DVD.

sailorstitch

I love the movie, honestly. It's a sensitive subject because it takes place during the Reconstruction (contrary to popular belief, Uncle Remus is a paid servant and NOT a slave) when there were still lots of racial issues, but it's a sweet story and Uncle Remus is a great storyteller who teaches the kids some great lessons. I'm sure Disney is afraid of facing criticism if the movie were to be released on DVD, but I think it's just a really misunderstood movie. :confused3

I've seen it, and have (or had - I can't seem to find it) a copy. Bought a VHS on eBay in PAL format and had it converted to NTSC.

I've seen it, both as a child and on youtube. I agree with the OP that the live action parts are kind of boring, but the animated parts are awesome. I had a comic book of the animated parts as a kid. I don't know how anyone can not love Brer Rabbit and Zippity Doo Dah is like one of the best Disney songs ever, but yeah, I don't see it being rereleased, at least not anytime in the next 50 years or so.

I saw it at the drive in back in the 70's. Haven't seen it since. We sang Zip a dee doo dah in elementary school, even learned hand motions to act it out. Still can sing and do it today.

I have an unauthorized copy on DVD, bought it years ago. I saw the movie in the theater as a kid, and grew up with Brer Rabbit stories in a book. :earsboy:

I saw it and I really liked it. I saw no reason why it shouldn't be released, it's not really racial at all... Although, Splash Mountain has very little to do with the movie in my opinion...

I saw it back in the third grade when our school showed it as a special presentation. I fell in love with it! It's a shame that Disney won't release it as it truly is a wonderful classic.

I saw it in the theater when I was a kid. My mother took my siblings and a few friends to see it.

ive never understood why this film isnt being rerelesed.

its a product of its time, i dont think its racist, its a period in history that shouldnt be forgotten,

if you forget the past you are doomed to repeat it is my moto.

i know this subject gets brought up alot about song of the south, i think a rerelease with a presentation before the film putting into context would be good.

similar to the rerelease of the old bugs bunny cartoons when michael jordan i think did the preface for the dvd release? (correct me if im wrong here) and basically put it into context that these cartoons were from a different time and do not mean to cause any offense.

i think the cartoon sequences of song of the south are pure disney classic gold.

for me its always apart of my collection, im from the UK and got a europe release on vhs when i was a kid, in the eu we got a limited vhs supply before disney pulled it so their is alot of bootleg vhs and some genuine vhs versions on the market.

somone said to me the racial thing is to do with the voices? but the voices are from the man who plays uncle remus so its not like the voices are being imitated or anything?

people also said that about the voices of the birds in dumbo bt i never understand how people call it racism, if somone can tell me that would be good to know but i just dont see the harm with these cartoons.

somone said to me the racial thing is to do with the voices? but the voices are from the man who plays uncle remus so its not like the voices are being imitated or anything?

people also said that about the voices of the birds in dumbo bt i never understand how people call it racism, if somone can tell me that would be good to know but i just dont see the harm with these cartoons.

I think out-dated (non-PC) stereotyping would be far more accurate than racism.
Same reasons they have chopped all the old Bugs Bunny and Tom & Jerry cartoons to bits.
I do not think that such stereotyping is right, but I also do not believe in sweeping it under the rug. The movie has more than enough merit to redeem it. I think they should maybe add an disclaimer to the front or something but not bury the film.

Its not racist, its a period piece. It is no worse than anything in Gone With The Wind. The tarbaby thing is misunderstood. In the south, and what the movie uses it as, is someone who is a sticky situation. Which is exactly how it is played out. Next to The Sword in the Stone and Mary Poppins, it is my favorite Disney movie.

Watched it as a child and loved it. It is one of my dads favorite due to the music. Wish I could see it again! No it's not racist , it is set in a time when that was the norm. Gone with the wind, glory, and several others show how life was back then and we still have them on DVD! They are all just showing life as it was. Hope it comes out!!!

I'm lucky enough to have seen the rereleases in theaters in 1972 and 1986 and I have a bootleg copy on DVD which is a fairly good transfer. I wish Disney would officially release it in this country. I've seen it for sale officially all over Europe.

I grew up watching Heckle and Jeckle cartoons (I'm only 40!) and also remember watching Song of the South. I think the Heckle and Jeckle cartoons were far worse than anything in SooS as far as stereotypes and "racism" go. :confused3

I watched it on youtube to find out what all the "racial" hype was about and was most definitely confused as to why people got so "butthurt" over it after watching it.

What I saw was a darling, enchanting, colorful and educational musical delight for all ages, not an ugly, racist swing at any given group of people.

I mean, I watched the film, and as I was watching it, my reactions were like

:upsidedow

popcorn::

pixiedust:

:hyper:

:lovestruc

:cloud9:

:hug:

:music:

And mind you, I never once heard of this film until I was 18. So I wasn't a little kid watching it, but how can you not feel like a kid when you're watching something that wonderful?

I recall seeing it and the real reason for it not showing it is that it glorify the old south views of slaves being happy at work. Uncle Remus is considered a bum because he is not working like the rest of them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter