So who else is "ho-hum" about the GF Villas?

The Grand Floridian just looks sort of "froo-froo" to us. DH likes casual, relax, put up your feet, and although he's been in the GF, he just wasn't comfortable. And since MK isn't our favorite park, the convenience to there isn't a draw. The fact that it appeals to some just confirms what I already knew-there's a big variety in DVC resorts, and we all have different favorites. But since the announcement, I'm hearing such love for the GF, I'm feeling alone in my "so what". Please tell me someone else isn't a big GF fan. It seems like everyone is today!

:wave:

We aren't big fans either. GF has very nice restaurants and we love to eat there, but it is one of the last places you will see us staying at. When I saw the artist rendition of the Villas, I too thought it was ho hum. Even though MK IS one of our favorite parks, we own at BLT therefore we have no need to even look at this resort. I was reading the email that we got from MS and right afterwards I said..."I wonder what the going rate for those Villas are going to be since BLT is now at $150/pp"....and my DH responded "Don't know and don't care".

I think BLT has much better access to MK (walk or monorail). Is there any discussion of completing a walking path from GF to MK?

So much more appealing than BLT so now I'll have an MK resort option. Now the Poly DVC would light my fire. :thumbsup2

I like the option for a more upscale, hopefully adult oriented resort. I think they have a great CS, on site restaurants, and upscale ambiance. I will have no problem staying there! :banana:

As "definitely" as can be in our unpredictable world, I won't buy GF points...but I will take my very first opportunity to stay there! I've always wanted to stay at the GF, but never could get myself to pay the prices of the GF rooms...but I love the resort and can't wait to stay there...

Don't know that I'll become a "regular," though...I've stayed a couple of times at BLT, and like it a lot...but not enough to spend the extra points most of the time. I expect the same will turn out to be true for the GF Villas...

But I'm pretty excited about the soon-to-be-available option.

Having said that, I'm also a tiny bit skeptical...having just seen the announcement that DVC is pulling out of Washington DC's Harbor Place (which never excited me anyway, so I don't really mind), I think I'll wait a bit to see if this really happens before I let myself get excited!

Happy holidays...

Hi Debbie, I think we are the same age! :goodvibes I agree with the resale dropping so much just not worth selling BWV. It's a hard pill to swallow these new resort prices. I just bought VWL resale at $52/pt ( $41 after renting my banked points) and I just can't bring myself to ever pay these prices. I am all for the options to stay there. I could NEVER give up BW view! :love:
I've always said GF would be the only resort that would make me consider selling my BWV points. It was the first resort I stayed at in 1994 and I stayed there when I took my niece in 1999 (both before DVC), loved it. I have no interest in BLT because of the decor, not my thing.

However, now it really does not make sense for me to buy GF. With the BWV resale value falling and the high cost of the new resort points, the difference is just too much, more than double. Plus I'll be 54 by the time it opens. I'll roll the dice at 7 months just to check it out. Another factor is the higher points per night at the new resorts, I like a 1 bedroom and the points are too high, I would only probably be able to do a studio.

Plus with the boardwalk view category at BWV, I've grown to love that. I hated it when you booked preferred and boardwalk view was just a request, it was a gamble. So I just booked standard to save points rather than gamble. When the separate category came out, I've booked it every time and don't want to give that up.

I like the option for a more upscale, hopefully adult oriented resort. I think they have a great CS, on site restaurants, and upscale ambiance. I will have no problem staying there! :banana:

Ton of kids stay at the GF right now, everytime I have gone over to eat you still have the running toddlers and parents with the huge doublewide strollers.

I doubt if it's going to be the adult resort you are looking for.

I am thrilled that they are building the Grand Floridian Villas because I hope it will take some of the reservations from my favorite resort BLT! I will probably stay at the GFV but I have no desire to buy there. I would rather look at it from across the lake at BLT!

We are looking forward to DVC - GF ! We did stay there before we purchased DVC and with children and loved it ! The GF is beautiful and there are great places to eat there, too ! Loved the lobby, pools, beach, tea and the shops !

As "definitely" as can be in our unpredictable world, I won't buy GF points...but I will take my very first opportunity to stay there! I've always wanted to stay at the GF, but never could get myself to pay the prices of the GF rooms...but I love the resort and can't wait to stay there...

Don't know that I'll become a "regular," though...I've stayed a couple of times at BLT, and like it a lot...but not enough to spend the extra points most of the time. I expect the same will turn out to be true for the GF Villas...

But I'm pretty excited about the soon-to-be-available option.

Having said that, I'm also a tiny bit skeptical...having just seen the announcement that DVC is pulling out of Washington DC's Harbor Place (which never excited me anyway, so I don't really mind), I think I'll wait a bit to see if this really happens before I let myself get excited!

Happy holidays...

DVC didn't pull out of National Harbor, it was only announced as a Disney hotel. DVC was never included in the original announcement, although it may have been added if they did start working on it. Everyone just assumed that would have happened. I read a quote in the last week or so that DVC did not intend to be part of it.

I think it's pretty safe that GF will happen.

Count me as a ho-hum on the GF DVC.
- Can't walk to MK.
- Seems like a long walk to the main GF facilities.
- Point usage will be very high.
- Point cost high.
- Concern over quality of construction- they did cheap out on BLT items.
- We really aren't the GF target audience type of people.

We own at BLT and are very happy with our location and decision.

If we were to add-on, it would be resale; and certainly not at GF. And my current spread sheet analysis still shows an add-on is not an economical decision. If we want more time at WDW, we'll simple rent points, stay at WBC, or book a discount room on-site.

Does anyone have an idea how long of a walk it is gonna be from the DVC villas to the monorail station at the Grand Floridian?

We might try it at the 7 month window, one, but love our BWV/Epcot Resort Area too much!

The Grand Floridian reminds me too much of my Nana's house: Victorian with lots of crystal and tassels. Disney did an excellent job with it, it's beautiful and it is exactly what it's supposed to represent: A throwback to "better" times (not so sure any one time is better than any other).

My daughter is in love with it though so we'll have to try it for a few nights when she's in college. I don't expect it to be entered onto my list of favorite resorts though.

I would stay at GF before BLT. I just did not like the decor at BLT. That might have something to do with the tour I took was way too crowded.

I would have to stay at GF before ever buying. Just do not see how GF could top AKL unless they add Giraffes and Zebras.

I could see buying points before trying at the Poly or a Gulf Beach resort.

I'm not interested at all. I expect the points to be significantly higher than BLT, and BLT is too high for us. If there were to be "standard view" villas, they would probably be snapped up before the 7 month window anyway.

For everyone's sake, I sure hope they don't choose (or haven't CHOSEN) the same layout/problems as the studios at BLT! :eek: Hopefully, the square footage will also be more average, and not small.

I'm not interested at all. I expect the points to be significantly higher than BLT, and BLT is too high for us. If there were to be "standard view" villas, they would probably be snapped up before the 7 month window anyway.

For everyone's sake, I sure hope they don't choose (or haven't CHOSEN) the same layout/problems as the studios at BLT! :eek: Hopefully, the square footage will also be more average, and not small.

Well we can all hope they learned their lesson with the layout of the BLT studios and improve. ;)

The Grand Floridian just looks sort of "froo-froo" to us. DH likes casual, relax, put up your feet, and although he's been in the GF, he just wasn't comfortable. And since MK isn't our favorite park, the convenience to there isn't a draw. The fact that it appeals to some just confirms what I already knew-there's a big variety in DVC resorts, and we all have different favorites. But since the announcement, I'm hearing such love for the GF, I'm feeling alone in my "so what". Please tell me someone else isn't a big GF fan. It seems like everyone is today!

You should probably be happy that a lot of people are excited about them and you aren't. If no one was excited about them that would be a problem, but as it is, there will probably be a lot of people trying to get reservations there, and since you are not interested that would make it easier for you to get the resort of your choice. So there is a silver lining.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter