So who else had gifts tied up with the UPS delays?

I didn't get too worked up over it, we just looked at it like more Christmas fun! We did a little Christmas Eve, had a great Christmas Day & couldn't wait to get more! 3 days of pressies, it was a Christmas miracle! LOL

Pressies:confused3? Would that be a non-abbreviation for presents? Both have the same number of letters.

With regard to packages being put aside so that others could go to the front of the line, yes, that probably happened. Why? Because air packages (a specific type of service offered by UPS) are the ONLY ones (other than international, and I don't think we're talking about that here) with service guarantees. All other types of service at UPS had ALL guarantees SUSPENDED effective December 11 (I posted this earlier). If your package was shipped ANY other way at UPS, there was no guarantee. Period. A retailer may have told you something was "guaranteed" and that is on them....complain about them, ask them for a refund. But, it is NOT UPS' job to live up to guarantees it did not make. Nevertheless, the vast majority of those packages were still delivered on time.
My package that didn't arrive on time was a guaranteed two day shipping that shipped on the 20th by UPS.

Btw I thanked the driver when he delivered it yesterday as I do EVERY time they come to my house. I am aware it wasn't his fault it was late.

OK, you can all be mad at whoever and even get refunds but the surprise and excitement of opening the present on time can't be restored. My point is that the only way to guarantee that you will have the item is to physically pick it up at a store. It's understandable that some people don't like to shop or that some people can't get particular items in their area however again there are apparently no guarantees when it comes to shipping.

I've had items arrive late or not at all in the past. I don't like it either but it's a risk that I take.

You had to explain to your child why Santa (or Mommy and Daddy) didn't bring a certain requested gift in time?
I don't have children of my own but I have nieces and nephews and grand nieces and nephews and they survived when a couple of things were delayed. Amazing how much more resilient children are than adults, if they are taught by the adults in their life to be resilient.

Apparently Santa couldn't fit everything in his sleigh so the delivery people were going to help him out.

I received an email from an on line retailer that I make purchases from fairly often on Dec. 19th stating that, for orders placed that day, they would upgrade my shipping to 3 day FedEx delivery with a guaranteed Dec 24th delivery date.

I placed my order and paid an extra 2.95 to have it processed that day to ensure there was no delays.

The order was sent out on Dec 19 from Pennsylvania. It arrived in Newark, NJ and then went to Memphis, TN for a total of 5 hours, only to make its way back to Newark, NJ on Dec 20th. It arrived at the Staten Island, NY facility on Dec 23 and sat there until yesterday when it was delivered to me at about 5:30pm.

The tracking site stated that the package would be delivered by Dec 24 at 8:00pm all week UNTIL Dec 24 at about 4:00. Then the status changed to N/A.

When I called the retailer to complain, they told me that although it is advertised as 3 day shipping, it is actually 3 - 4 day shipping so technically it wasn't late. The customer service rep also kept repeating that it was a FREE upgrade. I asked her if that meant that I should be happy with whenever it got delivered? :confused3

For me, it was just the principle of the matter. My children are all older and it was no big deal for me to hand them the merchandise yesterday and say Merry Christmas, a little late. But I would not have made the order in the first place had they not sent me the email promising Dec 24 delivery,

It's not ridiculous at all. The driver might not want to hear it but it's not ridiculous. Besides we are talking about packages that didn't make it for Christmas so those people likely didn't see the drivers since they didn't get deliveries.

Expecting someone to deliver what they said they would when they said they would does not make someone a jerk.

A bad waiter or waitress is going to get complaints and poor tips from even the nicest customers

Complaining to the driver who is out there trying to deliver those packages 16-18 hours a day, does in fact, make one a jerk. All he does is deliver the packages that are put on his truck. He has absolutely no control over what is put on there.

DD's boots were delivered on Christmas Eve. So while I was enjoying my day with family, our driver was delivering packages. We have even had things delivered on Christmas day, so I don't think any of those drivers deserve one word said to them and yes, it most certainly is ridiculous.

Where did I miss people saying they were upset with the drivers? I don't think anybody said anything about the drivers. The first people who brought them up were the wives, defending something that didn't need defending and that spurred a conversation about how the different shipping companies work (employees vs. independent contractors, etc). Nobody said the drivers were to blame. But I also don't think consumers are to blame, which I have heard over & over.

That said, and I would hope I wouldn't take it out on a driver, I can understand how people might get a little testy with a driver if they say him delivering to another house & didn't have their "guaranteed" package on their truck. Much like a customer service rep often gets the brunt for something they had no control over. It doesn't make it right, but I can see it happening.

I'm sorry, but I think it is unreasonable to order something on Saturday, and expect it to be delivered by Tuesday, just given the weather.
I mean, I have a co-worker who was supposed to fly home last Friday, and her flight was canceled due to weather until Monday. If we can't get people through, how are we going to get packages through?

I think the lightning speed that Amazon and others are giving out gift cards as apologies, as well as of course, refunding the shipping fees, is an indication that there retailers KNEW there was no way those shipments were going to make it in time.
And many of these retailers actually are the ones that handle the first part of the shipping, and say that UPS and FedEx, etc can deliver by a certain date. I think next year the delivery companies are going to take back control of what packages they accept after a certain date, instead of letting the shipper say it will be there by Christmas.

Complaining to the driver who is out there trying to deliver those packages 16-18 hours a day, does in fact, make one a jerk. All he does is deliver the packages that are put on his truck. He has absolutely no control over what is put on there.

DD's boots were delivered on Christmas Eve. So while I was enjoying my day with family, our driver was delivering packages. We have even had things delivered on Christmas day, so I don't think any of those drivers deserve one word said to them and yes, it most certainly is ridiculous.

See here's the thing. Lots of people were working Christmas Eve so I really don't delivery drivers are any more deserving of sympathy than anyone else. Also the poster that said her dh was told he would be ruining Christmas originally said it was the delivery company that said it. Somehow it got twisted into customers saying it. It's just a ploy to blame the customers.
If he doesn't have a package to deliver to someone, he wouldn't be stopping at their house so they wouldn't have an opportunity to complain to him.

UPS didn't deliver on Christmas Day.

I ordered 6 gift baskets on December 12th shipped from California to be delivered to 6 different addresses in Texas and Oklahoma. 4 baskets were delivered on December 18th as expected. 2 went missing. UPS did not know where they went, this was not weather related.

On Friday, December 20th I called the company I ordered from and they shipped 2 baskets to be delivered next day air via UPS to be delivered December 23rd. Those 2 baskets were not delivered until December 26th.

I called my vendor, got a full refund for the packages and they can hash it out with UPS.

These delays were not weather related, I ordered in plenty of time for Christmas delivery and UPS still managed to (cannot think of a nice word) it up.

Post Texas ice storm earlier this month, I had product sit in a container for 12 days before it was unloaded and delivered. Ordered replacement product for that customer 2X and UPS delivered to 2 later shipments BEFORE the original shipment was delivered. What should have been a 3 day ground trip turned into 2 weeks. UPS had is at the Mesquite, Texas depot 2 days before the ice storm hit.

I am totally unimpressed with UPS this December.

Obviously, this will not alter the course of my life but UPS should be expected to make things right with their shipping fees and in ability to perform.

I am not telling people what they should or should not do, I am just stating my opinions. Even when life is busy I think common sense can be there.

I understand that life gets in the way but you cannot blame shipping companies that fail to get thousands of packages delivered on time because your life kept you from shopping earlier and being safe.

I abosolutly can blame! If I go on to a retailer's website and they say it can be delivered by X than they and the shipper should get it there by X or be prepared to issue refunds.

I dont do a lot of online shopping, I am too nervous that it wont arrive in time but this year I can awfully close to ordering stuff. I had one sick kid, I myself got really sick and two snow storms that almost kept me from shopping. I almost did not find the ONE gift my DS10 asked for, the Disney Infiniti, but luckily I found it at a Kmart who at first told me they were sold out, but then the clerk found it.

Wow, so much fuss here. Sure it's disappointing when something is late but problems happen and the last person to blame is the delivery driver. They simply deliver what they're given and make promises personally to no one. I saw them everywhere the last few days so they are certainly trying.

Order early or go to physical stores. It's old-fashioned but actually fun and you get to take the item home with you.

Like I said above, I do not do a lot of online shopping but I find absolutely NOTHING fun about shopping ever!!!! I think I was born without that particular female gene:lmao:

I'm sorry, but I think it is unreasonable to order something on Saturday, and expect it to be delivered by Tuesday, just given the weather.
I mean, I have a co-worker who was supposed to fly home last Friday, and her flight was canceled due to weather until Monday. If we can't get people through, how are we going to get packages through?

I think the lightning speed that Amazon and others are giving out gift cards as apologies, as well as of course, refunding the shipping fees, is an indication that there retailers KNEW there was no way those shipments were going to make it in time.
And many of these retailers actually are the ones that handle the first part of the shipping, and say that UPS and FedEx, etc can deliver by a certain date. I think next year the delivery companies are going to take back control of what packages they accept after a certain date, instead of letting the shipper say it will be there by Christmas.

The last time I checked a package didn't need a seat so you're comparing apples to oranges. The funny part of all this for me is that I got the things I ordered on 12/22 before Christmas but 1 of 4 things I ordered from kohls on 12/12 didn't make it here until yesterday. Fortunately it wasn't for the family member that left yesterday and lives overseas.

The last time I checked a package didn't need a seat so you're comparing apples to oranges. The funny part of all this for me is that I got the things I ordered on 12/22 before Christmas but 1 of 4 things I ordered from kohls on 12/12 didn't make it here until yesterday. Fortunately it wasn't for the family member that left yesterday and lives overseas.

Uh its pretty apples to apples to me. Whether its a seat or a space on a pallet they are both reliant on the airplane and weather to get where they need to go.

But who knows what the weather will be in the next week???:confused3 Even the weather reporters can't get that right. When I order something from XYZ company, I have no idea where it is shipping from. I also have no idea what shipment company they are using. So, my order placed on 12/13, am I suppose to consult the weather reports from the entire country, then try and figure out if any of the shipping companies (UPS/Mail/FedX/DHL, etc) have any forecasted shipping issues for the next 2 weeks???

I, like most people, go to the site of XYZ company, enter the ship to address, and determine if I should continue based on the estimated delivery date.

People weren't just shipping gifts in December. If you check twitter, people were waiting for medicines, medical supplies, etc. Often replacements can only be ordered in a certain window due to insurance restrictions.

P.S. My order was finally delivered today, 12/27. Ordered on 12/13 and shipped on 12/14.

A relative that works for UPS ordered a gift for us (shipped through UPS)on the 17th. It shipped on the 18th, and got here today. When I texted her to let her know it arrived, she wasn't surprised it was late. ;)

I don't have children of my own but I have nieces and nephews and grand nieces and nephews and they survived when a couple of things were delayed. Amazing how much more resilient children are than adults, if they are taught by the adults in their life to be resilient.

Apparently Santa couldn't fit everything in his sleigh so the delivery people were going to help him out.

I do have 3 children and feel the exact same way and we have told them that! I get being disappointed - but if getting a gift late for Christmas devastes someone or ruins their Christmas, well I don't even know what to say about that.

Well I do - but it's not nice. I may be super sensitive because a friend of mine, only 52, THE most wonderful mother, friend to many, pillar of the community who volunteered for everything (I could go on) collapsed Christmas Eve and died Christmas Day. Her family - the community - we are all in shock.

The last time I checked a package didn't need a seat so you're comparing apples to oranges..

:rotfl2:

No seat needed. But since everything ordered on Saturday December 21 for delivery by December 24 had to go by air, they did need flyable weather.:thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter