So who else had gifts tied up with the UPS delays?

Newsflash....FedEx Ground drivers are independent contractors and do not make overtime. They get paid per delivery and do not get paid when they have to go back two and three times to actually deliver the package.

While I don't blame the delivery drivers for the fiasco I also have no sympathy either. I and many other people have jobs that force us to work overtime and holidays I dont complain because it is the job I chose just as it is the job your husband chose.

I don't understand your point. If they get paid per delivery then they must be making more deliveries in 12+hours than they do in their normal shifts.

Being busy at the holidays is part of the job. If the packages were in the hands of the delivery companies and were not delivered on time, they didn't do their jobs very well. Being busy or stressed at a time when that should be totally expected is a poor excuse for bad service.

Sure, we make pennies more and spend tons more on gas, maintenance and labor. It's awesome.

We get that being busy is part of the job, but telling your FedEx driver that your Christmas is ruined because a package didn't arrive on time without knowing all of the facts is rather ridiculous. I just was trying to clarify what it's like on this side of the delivery business and every package that was put on our trucks were delivered. We always make our service requirements laid out by FedEx.

It's just like waiting tables or working retail - you deal with a lot of jerks especially during the holiday season. Fortunately you deal with way more really nice and decent people.

I don't understand your point. If they get paid per delivery then they must be making more deliveries in 12+hours than they do in their normal shifts.

Being busy at the holidays is part of the job. If the packages were in the hands of the delivery companies and were not delivered on time, they didn't do their jobs very well. Being busy or stressed at a time when that should be totally expected is a poor excuse for bad service.

It is really quite simple - they get paid for each actual delivery - i.e. when a package actually leaves the delivery vehicle - with the appropriate signature (if required). If they go to a house 3 times, they only get paid for the time that the delivery was made, not all three times. Not to mention that house numbers are sometimes difficult to see - if they are there at all.

I feel for the spacemountainmom. It is a catch-22. You're damned if you do...damned if you don't. You get blasted by putting in the extra time (i.e. the Saturday's, ) because you've missed (I'm just guessing here) every family function, Christmas/Holiday program your children were in, plus your "other half" essentially becomes a sole parent. You also get blasted by the management for "wrecking" all those other family's holiday's, to finally enjoy some time with your own family, by not making deliveries on Christmas day.

In our area - there has also been snow and ice, which adds to the amount of time each delivery takes, because if people do not properly have their driveways and sidewalks shoveled and salted, it just takes longer to navigate that, to make sure you do not injure yourself on the job.

Many on-line companies seemed to be a bit overwhelmed with the response to their last-minute offers of guaranteed deliveries. There is no way to predict how many people waited until the last minute to shop.

Yes, I did some online shopping for Christmas this year, and all our on-line stuff was delivered before Thanksgiving. Christmas comes every year, there is no reason to wait until the last minute. There is no way I'd leave something to chance in December.

I know that every year online shopping because more popular, but I'm honestly confused by the idea that shipping companies are suddenly overwhelmed by the number of packages being shipped between Thanksgiving & Christmas. I understand that retention can be hard in a job like that, but 6 weeks of extra long hours shouldn't come as a shock - much like a CPA works crazy hours the few months leading up to tax day. I understand the frustrations of the family members because it is a stressful time of year to have somebody gone that much, but it isn't all that unexpected. If companies are unfairly promising delivery dates, the shipping companies need to relook at the contracts, but that is in no way the fault of the consumer.

In my own experience, Kohl's definitely dropped the ball. But it still took FedEx two weeks to get it across the country. And as I watched the tracking, I saw that it sat in one station for 5 days without moving.

I am also surprised that these companies seem to have been so unprepared. There were only 3 1/2 weeks between Black Friday and Christmas Eve so obviously it was going to be a compressed busy season...However why did they continue to promise what they couldn't deliver? :confused3

Sure, we make pennies more and spend tons more on gas, maintenance and labor. It's awesome.

We get that being busy is part of the job, but telling your FedEx driver that your Christmas is ruined because a package didn't arrive on time without knowing all of the facts is rather ridiculous. I just was trying to clarify what it's like on this side of the delivery business and every package that was put on our trucks were delivered. We always make our service requirements laid out by FedEx.

It's just like waiting tables or working retail - you deal with a lot of jerks especially during the holiday season. Fortunately you deal with way more really nice and decent people.

It's not ridiculous at all. The driver might not want to hear it but it's not ridiculous. Besides we are talking about packages that didn't make it for Christmas so those people likely didn't see the drivers since they didn't get deliveries.

Expecting someone to deliver what they said they would when they said they would does not make someone a jerk.

A bad waiter or waitress is going to get complaints and poor tips from even the nicest customers

It is really quite simple - they get paid for each actual delivery - i.e. when a package actually leaves the delivery vehicle - with the appropriate signature (if required). If they go to a house 3 times, they only get paid for the time that the delivery was made, not all three times. Not to mention that house numbers are sometimes difficult to see - if they are there at all.

I feel for the spacemountainmom. It is a catch-22. You're damned if you do...damned if you don't. You get blasted by putting in the extra time (i.e. the Saturday's, ) because you've missed (I'm just guessing here) every family function, Christmas/Holiday program your children were in, plus your "other half" essentially becomes a sole parent. You also get blasted by the management for "wrecking" all those other family's holiday's, to finally enjoy some time with your own family, by not making deliveries on Christmas day.

In our area - there has also been snow and ice, which adds to the amount of time each delivery takes, because if people do not properly have their driveways and sidewalks shoveled and salted, it just takes longer to navigate that, to make sure you do not injure yourself on the job.

Many on-line companies seemed to be a bit overwhelmed with the response to their last-minute offers of guaranteed deliveries. There is no way to predict how many people waited until the last minute to shop.

Yes, I did some online shopping for Christmas this year, and all our on-line stuff was delivered before Thanksgiving. Christmas comes every year, there is no reason to wait until the last minute. There is no way I'd leave something to chance in December.

Wow, thanks for getting it when so few do! Every year we have to do Christmas Eve with my family since my sister's in-laws insist on Christmas Day. DH has to work until all his packages are delivered. Some years that has been 1pm and some years 6pm or later. My mom gets mad that we can't really commit to when we can arrive since it all depends on how many deliveries there are. It would be much easier to wait and gather on Christmas Day since usually FedEx normally doesn't deliver. FedEx did put it out a few weeks ago that they might be requiring Dec 25 deliveries and most of the contractors told them what they could do with that idea.

I can't tell you how many events and programs dh has missed over the years. It's part of the job. My point that no one seems to get is that when FedEx corporate and ProFlowers (or whoever) promise you a delivery at a certain time, they are depending on an individual to provide that service. The individual had no say in the matter and does not get paid any additional to do so. Please don't scream at that person. They are just delivering what was loaded on their truck that day.

Newsflash....FedEx Ground drivers are independent contractors and do not make overtime. They get paid per delivery and do not get paid when they have to go back two and three times to actually deliver the package. We buy our own trucks, pay for all gas, maintenance and repairs. Often we run at a loss during the holiday season because corporate promises way more than one person can deliver in a day. Please don't make cracks about something you have absolutely no idea about.

We realize it is busy for delivery drivers and we accept that, but we also hate it when people blame their FedEx or UPS driver for something they have absolutely no control over. The drivers have no control over the decisions and lack of proper planning done at the corporate level. It's frustrating when someone else's lack of planning (whether it is FedEx corporate, a commercial account like ProFlowers or just the general customer) becomes our problem. My dh is not going to skip the holiday with our family to deliver a package and boo to those who expect him to.

Well, I guess that's one advantage to being an independent contractor then...a regular employee might not have the option of refusing to work! :)

Just want to add-I don't think people are blaming the drivers! I would be surprised to hear someone say that. Has that actually happened to your dh, where someone yelled at him or something??

Yes, but the DRIVER did not make the customer that promise. You just don't get it.

It's not that I don't get it. It's that I don't care. It sounds like whining to me.

Wah, DH had to work until 6pm.com on Christmas Eve. Big deal. Many other people did too.

I feel bad for the people that had to explain to their kids why Santa didn't make it for Christmas.

It's not that I don't get it. It's that I don't care. It sounds like whining to me.

Wah, DH had to work until 6pm.com on Christmas Eve. Big deal. Many other people did too.

I feel bad for the people that had to explain to their kids why Santa didn't make it for Christmas.

People can tell their kids that Santa got stuck in the snow at the North Pole. I seriously don't get why it is such a huge deal. Disappointing? Of course! But hardly worth getting all worked up about, in my opinion. (Not that you are worked up about it...just the general feeling I have read here and on other boards.)

Well, I guess that's one advantage to being an independent contractor then...a regular employee might not have the option of refusing to work! :)

Just want to add-I don't think people are blaming the drivers! I would be surprised to hear someone say that. Has that actually happened to your dh, where someone yelled at him or something??

The only reason it worked is that Christmas Day is written into their contract as a day they don't have to work. FedEx tried to "guilt" drivers into working and it didn't work.

Yes, it has happened. He has been yelled at for not getting a delivery "on-time". He has been chased down the street and had people climb into his truck looking for their package. If someone steals something from his truck that comes out of our pay. He has been called by customers who want him to stop what he is doing and deliver their package right.this.minute. There are a great number of people who think their package is the only one on the truck. He has a fairly set route that he follows and also has to do pick ups as well. If they are late for their pick ups, they are docked pay.

On the corporate level, FedEx has dropped the ball. As the UPS wife mentioned, they can't hire enough package handlers and loaders. It is hard and demanding work that no one really wants to do. The semis that carry packages from terminal to terminal have been held up due to weather. Yet they continue to promise delivery times that they know can't possibly be honored and charge a pretty penny for it.

When I realized that our 5 boxes had not been delivered on Tuesday, I called our local UPS hub. DH was able to jump in the car and pick up 4 of the 5 we were expecting. The other one was not an important gift so its not a big deal.

I don't think everyone waits until the last minute. Sometimes a child changes their mind, something you couldn't afford but wanted to get goes on sale. There are a lot of factors. I agree with previous posters, if we have the option, we will and should lose it. If they know they can't keep up with the demand, don't make the promise/guarantee....seems simple enough.

Everyone's situation is going to be different with these 'delays'. We haven't received a couple children's gifts and one gift for me from DH - not a big deal. But I ordered a basket from Harry&David on the 16th with guaranteed delivery by Christmas Eve. It left them on the 18th but no updates on it since. It was for an older man who lives alone to bring to his daughter's on Christmas - there is no need for this gift now. And others I ordered for other relatives in the same state did make it okay. Ruin Christmas? No - but still bothers me.

It's not ridiculous at all. The driver might not want to hear it but it's not ridiculous. Besides we are talking about packages that didn't make it for Christmas so those people likely didn't see the drivers since they didn't get deliveries.

Expecting someone to deliver what they said they would when they said they would does not make someone a jerk.

A bad waiter or waitress is going to get complaints and poor tips from even the nicest customers

Blaming a driver because you couldn't order gifts with enough leeway time is really gross. Sorry. It's not the driver's fault.

This may have already been posted, but I just saw this on the MSN homepage.

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/201...w-fire-after-christmas-delivery-problems?lite

As to the other points, I don't necessarily think it's the driver's fault, but it does really suck to see something "out for delivery" and then have it not arrive. I also understand it's a busy time, but the number of mis-deliveries is crazy. The UPS driver will deliver our neighbor's packages (they live a block over) 5 out of 6 times to us. We're honest people and always get it to them, but not everybody is.

If FedEx drivers are independent contractors, do they decide then how many packages to take on their trucks each day? Yes, there are delays (traffic, etc), but maybe they shouldn't be taking more than they can deliver?

Blaming a driver because you couldn't order gifts with enough leeway time is really gross. Sorry. It's not the driver's fault.

If someone orders something within the time frame allowed by the company they ordered it from, how is that not enough leeway time?

It was reported on our news today that there was an overwhelming order load not only weather related transporting issues of the items.

Because I think you have to expect delays.

How do you define that? How much is enough time when you then deem that someone allowed enough leeway and you would stop blaming them?

If someone orders something that has delivery guaranteed by a certain date, they aren't at fault it if doesn't show up on time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter