• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

So, which DVC resort is the best value via resale ?

One thing about DVC compared to other timeshares is that it's relatively easy to exchange within the system. Say one buys the cheapest option (usually SSR overall) and reserves at 11 months out, if you pay attention and plan, you can almost always get something you may want that is higher demand at 7 months out. There are a few things that are very unlikely like AKV concierge/value, BWV BW view, etc but even then there are examples of success at 7 months or after. IMO anyone who wants into the system and then try most everything over time is FAR better off buying lower and trying to trade up than trading down buying resale. The reality is that unless you want basically one or 2 resort every time and can plan at 11 months out, you're in the same boat no matter where you own. The exception is if you buy all most all the resorts but few can afford to do this and doing so renting the rest is not a viable plan IMO.

Thaks for the help and tips Dean.

So far we are learning the 11 and 7 booking windows very well just from renting points so far. We have been able to score BWV BW view studio at 11 out, a VWL Studio (during December) at 11 out, a VGC 1 bdrm during the summer at exactly 7 out (that was a lucky one !) and a BW prefered (village green) studio during F&W. So we are learning !

I guess we are focusing in on AKL and not SSR due to the fact that we would rather stay at AK vs SSR , and those value room options would be great for us since we also really like Jambo House. Kidani is also fine with us. Also, AKV has a few more years on SSR for an end date. Resale prices are comparable between SSR and AKL , but AKL is about $1. PP more in MF (as of right now ......who knows what the future will bring ?).
Also for our home resort we would rather be in a hotel type of resort vs the spread out buildings. With DVC its nice to be able to switch it around and try out any resort they have ......as long as you can get in at 7.

Also one thing that I have a question about, it concerning something you said in the above post.
Say I reserve something at our home resort at 11 months out so we are covered for our trip, but really want a different resort and plan to try at 7 out. If I find what I want at 7 out, can I cancel the 11 month reservation that was already made and switch it. Do the point status change when they are canceled and rebooked ? If we are owners at AKL, I could (try to) book a nice value room catagory, then at 7 try for an alternate resort that we may prefer more ........ any penalty in doing that ? Since the AKV value rooms are in such a high demand........I guess it wouldnt be to hard to trade with somebody too .

Thanks for the help !

Also one thing that I have a question about, it concerning something you said in the above post.
Say I reserve something at our home resort at 11 months out so we are covered for our trip, but really want a different resort and plan to try at 7 out. If I find what I want at 7 out, can I cancel the 11 month reservation that was already made and switch it. Do the point status change when they are canceled and rebooked ? If we are owners at AKL, I could (try to) book a nice value room catagory, then at 7 try for an alternate resort that we may prefer more ........ any penalty in doing that ? Since the AKV value rooms are in such a high demand........I guess it wouldnt be to hard to trade with somebody too .

Thanks for the help !

I personally own at SSR, BLT, VGF, OKW, and AKV so I am familiar with them all.

SSR is currently the best value and then AKV are next. The only issue with AK is the higher annual dues is $1pp more than SSR so that really tips the scales.

However, from your posts, I would recommend AKV for you as it seems that you are leaning toward that direction.

You can book AKV at 11 months and wait list any other resort at 7 months and if it hits, then they will take ore refund any point differences.

...Say I reserve something at our home resort at 11 months out so we are covered for our trip, but really want a different resort and plan to try at 7 out. If I find what I want at 7 out, can I cancel the 11 month reservation that was already made and switch it. Do the point status change when they are canceled and rebooked ? If we are owners at AKL, I could (try to) book a nice value room catagory, then at 7 try for an alternate resort that we may prefer more ........ any penalty in doing that ? Since the AKV value rooms are in such a high demand........I guess it wouldnt be to hard to trade with somebody too .

Thanks for the help !

If you reserve something at your home resort at 11 months out and switch to a different resort at seven months out, you cancel the exising reservation and use the points to book the second reservation. Sometimes during that process you can lose the second reservation if it is a highly sought reservation.

And any points left over (if you used more at 11 months than you need at seven months) will go back into your account. And if you are more than four months out from the end of your UY, you can always bank them (unless you borrowed them, then they stay borrowed and expire at the end of the UY into which they were borrowed).

The toughest for me to get at 7 months has been HHI and BCV. Here are some tips to help narrow things down for you:

Tough to book at 7 months:
1- BCV and BWV for F&W
2- VWL for Xmas
3- VGF I think will be tough any time
4- OKW in the hospitality house section (specific booking)
5- OKW GV***
6- HHI for the summer and holidays...GVs especially tough
7- VB for summer...GV/cottages especially tough
8- AKV value*** or concierge
9- BWV standard view***
10- BLT certain views (not sure which, though, as I am not a BLT person)
11- BCV can be tough anytime...especially in summer

*** these rooms are great values...conserve points

Assuming you want an east coast resort: I think, as others mentioned, SSR is the best value as it's the cheapest, lowest annual dues after BLT and has a long-ish life of contract. We started with OKW (in 2006...have it currently listed to sell) and since have added HHI (to book every other summer) and AKV (love that resort and like to conserve points). We go back and forth on where we might like to add another small contract (doubt we will add at this point but...)...we like the Epcot area resorts (and really enjoyed F&W last year) and prefer BCV but BWV has those standard view rooms and we do like to conserve points (plus BWV is cheaper to buy in). BWV is like 20 cents more per point in annual dues...not all that much.

Thanks for the input everyone !
The only problem we have with AKL is not having the ability to book either BWV or BCV during F&W :headache: . Once in a while ........maybe we would get lucky, but I know we can not count on getting anything at 7 months out. I am sure we can find enough availability (even if its a few days at a time) at BCV during the summer. That may be good enough.
The value of BCV is just not there either ..........although its our favorite. 2042 seems like its not that far off compared to 2057.
The value is defintely not there for anyone trying to buy a BCV resale today. They're going for close to $100/point and expire in 2042. Plus the per night points requirement is somewhere in the middle with no cheap "Standard View" options.

Buyers always have paid a premium for BCV but, right now, I don't think the gap between BCV and BWV (the most comparable DVC) has ever been higher.

BCV's high demand and small size means that it's difficult to book at 7 months. For F&WF, forget about it.

Those who are buying BCV today really want it and, so it seems, are less likely to settle for something else.
Disney has been using its ROFR for BCV in the mid $70's PP while almost everything at AKV has been flying past Disney. Even some $60. PP have been getting by ! That's telling me Disney wants out of AKV and good deals can be had via resale.
Yup, after selling it direct for 6 years, Disney wants to be done with AKV.

With it finally nearly sold out (should happen this year), AKV ROFR activity might pick up but Disney continues to reclaim a lot of AKV points via foreclosure. I can't imagine demand being there to financially justify ROFR for AKV right now.
I think the slightly higher MF's at AKL offsets the higher points per room at SSR also. If we were going for absolute cheapest DVC to buy into, we would prob just do SSR, but that's not the best value for us.

I guess we just feel that AKV is the right "home" for us. We both like AKV and do our kids. Sometimes our daughter just goes over to AK Lodge to hang out .......while the rest of the family does some other things she is not into (water parks, SAB etc).

Are there any other "suprises" about AKV that we are not thinking about ? Anything else we should know? Anyone reading this have buyers remorse after buying in to AKV for some unforeseen reason?
One of our memberships is at AKV and we've always enjoyed it. As a stand-alone resort, it's arguably WDW's best. What most don't like is its remoteness, particularly from MK.

AKV's Maintenance Fees (MF) are up an average of 6% over the last 3 years. Only BLT's are up by a higher percentage. SSR has performed the best, averaging 2.9% for the last 3 years. Don't freak out too much though. The extra 3% comes out to about $36 per year on 200 points. Year-to-year, you might not even notice the difference between 3% and 6%. However, if the trend continues, it could really add up.

Since you asked on another post, Kidani's pool is nice. It's fun for small kids. However, it's also small and tough to get a seat for, like SAB.

Thanks for all the vaild points and input. It very much appreciated !!! :grouphug: :goodvibes

I agree that while we LOVE BCV, we know the value isnt there . Those resales are going for a lot, and even some of the not so good offers are getting ROFR ed. Tells me we are NOT going to be able to buy in at a good deal. But for AKL Disney really hast been using their ROFR right for anything. ALmost every sale at AKL has been going through. Even some at $60. PP. I am tempted to try to get an offer accepted in the $50's to see if it goes through !.

If we choose AKL, I am just hoping we can find even just a little bit of availabilty for BCV at 7 months ......once in a while ! :sad2: We are pretty flexible.

In our eyes, AKL and SSR are at the top of the "best bang for your buck" resales with the slight edge going to SSR. We just like AKL a LOT more than SSR (really should have spent some time at SSR :headache:) I figure if SSR doesnt even hold enough interest for us to visit it, why would we want to buy there if there is another option for about the same value that we really like.
. I guess thats really what its all about, getting the resort you like for the best value you can find. Its definately a balancing act between value/want, at least for us.

Thanks !

Syndrome- can you pm me the sites reputable for resale of DVC? Did you try time source?

I will send you a PM.
Keep in mind, we haven't purchased yet, so I don't have first hand recommendations for you. I have just been following all of the recommended DVC reseller's that DVC owners have used.
There are about 3-4 highly recommended ones that I have been following .

Here's the 3 that are mentioned on here often:
www.dvcstore.com -I used them and they are good...very quick and professional and communicative
www.dvcbyresale.com -I used her too and she was good too
www.fidelityresales.com/dvc.php -Tried to use but didn't go well...will not use in future

There's also a new one: http://www.dvcmagicresales.com/ -I have no experience with except that the broker used to work at Fidelity and left to start this company...she was the one I worked with when we tried to buy through Fidelity actually, so I kind of have experience

There is also that other VERY highly recommended reaseller, that a lot of DVC buyers use and love .............but the name is blocked out on the DIS. :scratchin

K I N N , Jaki and family

Thaks for the help and tips Dean.

So far we are learning the 11 and 7 booking windows very well just from renting points so far. We have been able to score BWV BW view studio at 11 out, a VWL Studio (during December) at 11 out, a VGC 1 bdrm during the summer at exactly 7 out (that was a lucky one !) and a BW prefered (village green) studio during F&W. So we are learning !

I guess we are focusing in on AKL and not SSR due to the fact that we would rather stay at AK vs SSR , and those value room options would be great for us since we also really like Jambo House. Kidani is also fine with us. Also, AKV has a few more years on SSR for an end date. Resale prices are comparable between SSR and AKL , but AKL is about $1. PP more in MF (as of right now ......who knows what the future will bring ?).
Also for our home resort we would rather be in a hotel type of resort vs the spread out buildings. With DVC its nice to be able to switch it around and try out any resort they have ......as long as you can get in at 7.

Thanks for the help !
If you were going to do the value villas consistently at least 50% of the time or more AND plan 11 months out, AKV might be worth the extra costs. However, to do so every few years and then to be looking elsewhere at the 7 month window for most trips, it really doesn't make sense to do so. It's not like something you can't find a replacement for like a 3 BR or concierge. Think of it this way since it seems cost/value is your focus for AKV. You can buy AKV and pay more up front and yearly or you can buy SSR and pay less up front and yearly for the same points (or the same for more points). In effect you'd be getting a standard or even Savannah view units owning SSR when you want AKV for around the price of a value owning AKV. I realize this is not exact but hopefully you get the idea. Then when you use the points elsewhere you're saving every time over owning AKV.

We just got our member number for BWV Saturday. Brand new owners. I called today and no standard view left unless I waitlist. So I say buy where YOU really want to stay. Next year we will be on the 11 month booking!

We just got our member number for BWV Saturday. Brand new owners. I called today and no standard view left unless I waitlist. So I say buy where YOU really want to stay. Next year we will be on the 11 month booking!

The being said, Standard view does happen 7 months out. If you look at my Signature. All of my non OKW stays have either been BWV Std or AKV Std or Value View room. I've also ended up staying frequently at OKW. But, your point is well taken. If I had it to do over again, I probably wouldn't have bought OKW. It's available most of the time. I probably would have waited for a BWV resale. (OKW and BWV were the only 2 property's available resale at the time).

I'm curious how everyone associates the value for each resort. If I look only at price and maintenance, SSR easily wins. But when I amortize the cost over the useful life, SSR and BLT are neck-and-neck in my value comparison, with AKL a distant third. The further termination year makes a big difference there. Has anyone else compared the "value" this way, or can you share your method for calculating value? I'm trying to come to terms with the idea that paying more for BLT is a better deal than SSR.

supersnoop said:
I'm curious how everyone associates the value for each resort. If I look only at price and maintenance, SSR easily wins. But when I amortize the cost over the useful life, SSR and BLT are neck-and-neck in my value comparison, with AKL a distant third. The further termination year makes a big difference there. Has anyone else compared the "value" this way, or can you share your method for calculating value? I'm trying to come to terms with the idea that paying more for BLT is a better deal than SSR.

Yes. I take into account price, MF, and depreciate cost over remaining term. Only way to do it IMO.

chukdotcom said:
Yes. I take into account price, MF, and depreciate cost over remaining term. Only way to do it IMO.

And of those 3 variables, price tends to have the least effect.

Personally I consider the time value of money and return of up front costs over just 10 yrs, not the full life of the contract. I usually consider half the up front costs at money market rates and the other half for the full length of ownership at 8-10% returns before taxes. I basically deduct the money I'd use yearly on vacations after the predicted fees for each year. I think many have gotten a false impression of BLT dues previously that led them to a much better long term value than was realistic. The 2014 dues for both should give you a more realistic comparison and will not give one the value some predicted earlier and they are close enough to look at them as the same.

I think value is a very personal thing and is so dependant on personal circumstances. We need to book at 11 months as we need to buy transatlantic flights 11 months out to get the best prices otherwise it gets too expensive so for me the value was in locking in the resorts we really wanted to stay at. If we lived in Florida I would care less about 11 months and would probably be more interested in cheapest points.

Also for me a stay in the. Onto rail makes our holiday so BLT or VGF was high value for us.

Dollar wise for WDW, SSR is consistently the best value because of later RTU, lowest cost other than 2042 OKW and low fees. However, BWV standard view, OKW 3 BR and AKV value rooms may make one of those the cheapest for a given buyer if, and only if, they plan to use those specialty items routinely because they will generally not be available at 7 months out like the rest of OKW will. It's essentially impossible to quantify anything else other than looking at numbers because it comes down to personal preferences. One can usually get in to AKV otherwise so owning elsewhere to stay there for non specialty options is not a compromise and you can save on maint fees.

SSR is consistantly refered to as the best value, multiple times in this thread as copied above. However, looking at the extended OKW contracts available, like the one below, the price is only slightly more than SSR while the point chart for OKW is much less. I have done an extensive review of Studio and 1 bedroom and OKW extended is always a better value. I am interested in how other folks are calculating "value" when citing SSR is a better value. In my analysis the slightly higher price per point & slightly higher maint fees at OKW are more than offset by the higher point total SSR rooms require to book.

K2706BA Old Key West 270 Jun 2057 40 points available now (borrowed from 2014) and 152 points coming on 6.1.14! $76 $20,520 Extended years, reduced again!

SSR is consistantly refered to as the best value, multiple times in this thread as copied above. However, looking at the extended OKW contracts available, like the one below, the price is only slightly more than SSR while the point chart for OKW is much less. I have done an extensive review of Studio and 1 bedroom and OKW extended is always a better value. I am interested in how other folks are calculating "value" when citing SSR is a better value. In my analysis the slightly higher price per point & slightly higher maint fees at OKW are more than offset by the higher point total SSR rooms require to book.

K2706BA Old Key West 270 Jun 2057 40 points available now (borrowed from 2014) and 152 points coming on 6.1.14! $76 $20,520 Extended years, reduced again!

My guess is because people aren't planning on using SSR points at SSR. They are just looking for the cheapest way to get DVC points to use at any resort 7 months out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter