So When Did YOU Come Around on Same-Sex Marriage?

topolino

DIS Veteran
I admit it, I used to be against same-sex marriage. I remember, more or less, when I changed my mind - I believe it was sometime in late 2011 or early 2012.

Many notable politicians, even the president of the USA, were once against it but now feel that it is right that marriage should be equal for all.

So who here is willing to admit that you were once against it and are now for it? When did you change your mind? Maybe you'd even like to share what it was that made you re-think it.

I was never against it.

There were many things about it I didn't understand.

I think I've learned a lot about it over the past several years.

I was never against it, ever.

I respect people that come around. People are always allowed to change their minds. Many people change once they have certain life experiences, and I'm not the one to shun those that have changed their ways for the better :)

I can't remember ever being against it. Even when I was religious (I am now an atheist), I felt that the rules of my faith applied only to me and other believers. It made no sense to me that we would want the government make a law to prevent gay men or women from marrying those they loved because it was something our church didn't agree with.

Never came around. Never against it. Doesn't affect me. I never intend to marry a woman, and this decision by the Supreme Court doesn't require or force me to.

Live and let live.

I honestly couldn't say. I'm generally against gov't involvement in such things & always have been, so I can't say exactly when. Maybe 20-30 years ago; probably in my 20's.

As for when politicians changed their minds, my guess would be whenever the polls indicated it time to do so.

First, I believe that very few politicians actually change their views; I think they change what they SAY for political reasons only.
As for me...who am I to say what is right for someone else? Who you love is who you love. I am not the arbiter of how anyone else lives their life. Everyone deserves to be happy, deserves to choose their own path regardless of race, sexual identity, gender, nationality, etc.
I think the fact that this had to be adjudicated at the federal level is sad.

i've always been fine with it.
i don't see what effect someone's gay marriage has on someone else's straight marriage.
live and let live.
and thats coming from a straight catholic.
let God judge, not people.

There are a lot of us who believe as you do. I've learned more from a dear nun and 2 priests in my life on this than anyone else. They are some of the wisest, most liberal thinking people I've ever met.

Okay flamers, come and get me.
I honestly don't understand why we could not offer the same benefits of marriage to same gender couples, but for the sake of compromise, call it a civil union rather than marriage.

I honestly don't understand why we could not offer the same benefits of marriage to same gender couples, but for the sake of compromise, call it a civil union rather than marriage.

Compromise of what? Marriage is the joining together of 2 people who love eachother, why should anyone have to compromise and call their marriage a civil union?

Marriage, also called matrimony or wedlock, is a socially or ritually recognized union or legal contract between spouses that establishes rights and obligations between them, between them and their children, and between them and their in-laws.

I was never against it.

But why would you bother to do that, when marriage is a perfectly good term to describe the situation? How is calling a marriage a "civil union" a compromise? Sounds to me like you are wanting to have your marriage and asking others to call theirs a civil union- so how is THAT a compromise? Perhaps we should ALL have civil unions instead of marriages... would you consider that a compromise?

Honestly, I think we all have civil unions,as the government is involved in the issuance of licenses. Calling it a marriage is fine by me, too. If you need a religious ceremony, then have one, but one only needs a marriage license to get married.

I never had real strong feelings about it. But then I met a lesbian couple at WDW who had been together over 20 years, I knew them from a discussion board. They own a business together and are obviously very devoted to each other. They married last summer in New Jersey. I think they deserve the same legal rights as a married heterosexual couple.

I said about a month ago when there were some politicians on TV talking against it that it would be best for them if they just let it go. The train has long left the station, it's not going back. I say that even more now.

Regarding different names, someone pointed out on TV that marriage is a legal term. "Holy Matrimony" is a religious term. This ruling is regarding issuing marriage licenses. It does not affect religious ceremonies, churches are not going to be forced to perform ceremonies it opposes. I don't understand why religious rights are being pulled into the discussion.

Marriage has been defined traditionally as the joining of a husband and wife, but has now been amended. I think it would have been a decent compromise for those against it based on it being called something other than marriage but with the same rights and privileges. A lot of those opposed to same gender marriage would agree to this. Some benefit for both sides. I have spoken of this to some of my gay friends (yes I have gay friends), and they agree it would have been acceptable.
Some of you close minded individuals will argue to no end against anything but total acceptance by everyone, but let's face it, people have different beliefs.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter