• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

So, what "other" trip could lead you to take a year off?

It will be next summer as we are going on a cruise. We are going to stay at WDW for 3 days to do waterparks, and 3 days at Vero followed by 7 day DCL.

We bought DVC because we thought we'd go to WDW every year, as we had been doing. But, we have realized over the past year, that we do need some breaks from the parks. Our kids feel otherwise, but they are attached to mommy and daddy, so wherever we are, they are too!

We are looking at now cruising or another vacation every 3rd year, this way, we can go to parks 2 years in a row, in order to maximize AP.

We have cruised before, so we know we'll like it, and it will give us a nice break from the actual parks, but we'll still get some Disney magic along the way!

Want to take kids to Hawaii, as we loved it for our honeymoon, but it's just too expensive (airfare is killer!). After our cruise next summer, we'll look at where our next non-Disney park adventure will be!

Tiger :)

Ever since we joined DVC a few years back, we have started every year with the same refrain: "We'll take this year off, bank our points, and go for a really long trip next year." An optional statement might be "We'll take this year off, bank our points, and get a 1BR next year." Either way, the plan is always to take a year off.

It hasn't happened......which brings me to the following question: "If you are in the groove of going every year, what other trip could make you feel ok about missing a year?"

This is a really hard one for me. My wife and I feel like we need a dose of Disney each year. We need that feeling of being on the property and not having a care in the world (food everywhere, transportation right there, loads of entertainment, cleanliness, and cheery people). I can work like a dog for the rest of the year if I know that I have that break from reality on the horizon.

Yet our kids need to see some more of the world, or at least the country. We have a cruise (Carnival) planned for February. My wife says that we should get in the car during the summer (our normal Disney time) and see another part of the country. If I am going to do that, I need to have a Disney-like experience --- something relaxing, nothing really to "worry" about, clean, etc.

In hindsight, I think a perfect non Disney World year would still have a short Disney Cruise involved (ok, sort of a cheat, lol). Once I get that fix, I think I can stomach a trip to Wisconsin (where the wife wants to go). Not that there is anything wrong with Wisconsin, but I just get the impression that I will return with the feeling that I need a vacation from my vacation.

I think one of the big misconceptions with disneyphiles is that if you leave disney property some how magically vacations become hard. Honestly don't understand how this came about.
Here are some of the places we've been that are just as easy breezy.

1) Atlantis, pradise island. private car picked us up and dropped us off. Has a deluxe room with balcony for a bit less than a disney deluxe. room came with a dvd, playstation combo for hte kids. Non stop kid activities, swim with the dolphins, boating, parasailing. I could go on. tons of restaurants. Kids had their own key with charging priveleges.

2) Cruises. Once you get on the ship. you don't have to think about any thing.

3) All inclusives. We are doing one next year to Yosemite. staying at an all inclusive dude ranch. No driving, no paying for meals

We're bad at taking years off - in fact we're supposed to take off next year from DL to go see WDW yet I just booked a weekend in a studio at VGC next summer to take a quick peek at Carsland since we already have our AP's it seemed a waste not to use them at least one more time ... :rolleyes1
However, whenever I think about taking a year off from Disney I think about trips I've done in the past that were great that I want to do again: went horseback riding for a week in Provence in 2009, did a cooking class also in the French countryside a few years before that (the latter was in conjunction with a sampling of Europe since I had a lot of free time that year). Both were food/hotel/activities included so it was really nice and relaxing. Because the flight is so far for us we combined trips though, and did a week at Disney followed by a week out of the country. All inclusives are the way to go if you like the ease of Disney ... I think our next non-Disney trip is going to be horseback riding in Vermont in the fall to see the fall colors. Still won't take a year off Disney because its our time with a special set of friends, but if it wasn't for them, we'd consider it ... :laughing:

We were just talking about this on my trip. There is no place right now that I would rather go than Disney. If I had to choose between going elsewhere and Disney, Disney would win.

Now, I started this summer off with a trip to the Outerbanks and loved it there so told DH that our new plan will be the beach to start off summer and Disney to end it. Since he will probably never go in the summer because of the heat any longer--although, when I told him that doing MK in the wee hours of the morning is wonderful, he gave it a second pause--I plan to make it a girls trip and then go with him for a long weekend, either during F & W or early December.

We haven't taken a year off yet. Next year was supposed to be just a Disney Cruise in Sept but we still would have points to bank and I'm not sure what we'd do with all those points for 2013, so we're doing a trip in May. We're leaning toward Hawaii in 2013 but even that would only use half our points so a Disney trip might be in order and we'd still have points to bank. Maybe that means trying to get both sides of the family to go in 2014 and get a grand villa to use a big chunk of our points

Around the world cruise on QE2 :)

Well, realistically, Hawaii trip and/ or an Alaskan cruise would be worth a year+ off from WDW.
I would love to do the Keystone trip I saw a trip report for earlier this summer. But most anything in the states could be in addition to WDW trips.(Or at least during the period between AP's.)

A recent weekend in Chicago reminded me that WDW is both easier, nicer(cleaner) and cheaper (talk about more $ every time you turn around admission, parking, food.. :o ) than other vacation spots.

A cruise anywhere is a pretty easy way to travel for a family. We taken several transatlantic cruises that end in Europe and traveled there afterwards. That meant only one long flight home. You can fly to Europe and cruise back too. And if you can't take the time for a land trip to Alaska, consider a cruising the inside passage. You can get some good prices with other cruise lines versus Disney.

If the budget is tight, travel to a national park and spend some time with nature. Every family should try camping at least once. Or if you prefer, the larger national parks have hotels or cabins you can book if you plan ahead. Travel to the Washington D.C. area and see all of the sights there.

It all depends on who you are traveling with. We have 3 children and having all the Disney amenities is so nice. We also own at HHI and love it there. It is a nice secure resort with enough to do and nice places to visit on the island. We did Outer Banks this summer and it was nice but we like HHI so much better. We are doing a cruise this winter and I am sure that will keep the children happy.

When it is my wife and I we are more adventurous because we don't have to worry about complaining children. We like to explore cities and all that but our children don't enjoy that right now so it is better not to make that one of our vacations. We have done a short trip to Chicago with the kids and that was fine but they can only take so much of shopping and that sort of thing.

My wife and I did Rome/Florence a few years back but that trip would have been more difficult with the kids.

One more important thing is how much time so you have for vacations. The more time you have the more adventurous you can be with a trip. If a trip does not work out you don't have to feel too badly because you can always take another trip. For now I only have 4 weeks a year so all my time off is precious and I am not willing to risk my time on a bad vacation. Saying that Disney is a good and consistent product that I know my family will enjoy.

Our big trip in 2012 is going to be non-Disney, but we're not quite sure where yet. It's going to be 90% a family trip, so the venue is really not as important as everyone being together. Whereever we go, the trip will be centered around one or more National Parks.

Right now, we have reservations for all 11 of us at our Wyndham home resort of Smoky Mountains, near Dollywood and Gatlinburg, TN. Great Smokeys NP is one of our all-time favorites, and I have friends who work there. So if that turns out to be our final destination, it will be great.

When our "window" opens up, I'm going to try to get lodging near Yellowstone, and if that pans out, we'll fly to Jackson, WY and do Jackson, Grand Teton, and Yellowstone. We'll see how that goes.

Another possible fallback is Northern AZ hitting Grand Canyon, Sedona, and other sights in N AZ, southern UT, and possibly a little bit of CO. But if we get to that fallback, I think my adult daughters are going to want to go back to the Smokeys...which will be fine with me.

For the last 6 years or so, we've done at least one WDW trip a year, and we never get tired of it, because each year DD9 is one year older and sees the place with new eyes all over again. But we've also done other trips.

Last October, we went to Washington DC for 4 nights, and then over to Shenandoah NP for two days, then back to DC, and then home. Great trip, and DD9 really LOVED the Smithsonians and the monuments.

A couple of years ago, we did about a 10 day, part work - part play trip to CA, hitting San Diego, LA, Yosemite, San Francisco, and then back home. SFO and Yosemite are two of my favorite places on earth, so that was a great one.

There are so many great places to visit in the US and Canada!

We are actually doing it 2012.Our kids have gotten to the point where they think WDW is a given and we will always go. This time my DH and I have decided that it is time after around 10 years of doing at least 2 trips to WDW a year that we are going on a cruise. We have rented our points for next year and used that money to pay for a 7 day non-Disney cruise. As great as Disney is my kids need to understand that there are other places in the world. I really want them to also see that everyone is not as luckey as we are in the USA and we should cherish the fact we live here. We are hoping now that my kids are teens we can do "something else" every other year. Even with all this being said I am starting to have regrets that we are not going "home " next year.:confused3

We did three trips in as many years just before joining in 2004. Since then, we have gone mostly every other year. Those "other " trips have included a big one out west to Mt Rushmore, Grand Teton, and Yellowstone, a couple of spring trips to Dauphin Island or Fort Morgan, Hilton Head, summers to Hershey/Gettysburg, Washington D.C., and Colonial Williamsburg/busch Gardens/ house on the Virginia peninsula.

We like trips that include history and/or museums and time outdoors. We're really itching to do Yellowstone again.

Go do something! You won't likely be sorry and WDW will be there when you get back.;)

My DVC plan is pretty much to go every other year or three -- when there's something changed. Altho, I just got back a couple of weeks ago and already would like to go back during cooler weather. Talk about needing a vacation from my vacation! But, for that, I'm going to Grand Cayman over the holidays -- love it there. It is a truly relaxing vacation. The first time we went, my then-6 yo grandson said he liked it better than DisneyWorld -- but we came to an agreement that we like them both (and wanted a combination -- I think that's what led to the DVC purchase). It only takes a half day or less on GC to start saying, "This is the Life." But if you're not water/beach/snorkeling (and hammock) people, that might not be your choice.

I enjoy going lots of different places, but Disney does hold a special place in my heart --my first trip was to Disneyland when I was 12 in 1957, with my favorite aunt and uncle -- have loved the imagination and creativity and beauty ever since (the food, not so much -- way over-priced with questionable quality).

I would encourage going some other places in between, knowing that you will have something new and special to look forward to on your next Disney visit. (If you have a great time, that's wonderful, and if something goes wrong, you can continue to appreciate the benefits offered by WDW/DL).

We love our WDW trips, but we just can't see doing only those.

We have done in the past 5 years...

WDW - Multiple times
DCL - Bahamas
Black Hills/Rushmore
Washington DC
New England and Martha's Vineyard
San Antonio
DL and Anaheim

We have a weekend booked at Wisconsin Dells in January.

We are trying to decide between Rushmore and Yellowstone for next summer.

We have AP's right now and will have 3 trips on them. We won't renew them for next year and take our trips to other places for a year or so...

It would be interesting to create a little list of vacation destinations (and resorts) that people here feel compares to a Disney vacation. Considering we all share one major vacation destination in common, there is a pretty good chance that we would enjoy the recommendations for other places.

It would be interesting to create a little list of vacation destinations (and resorts) that people here feel compares to a Disney vacation. Considering we all share one major vacation destination in common, there is a pretty good chance that we would enjoy the recommendations for other places.

:thumbsup2 What a great suggestion!

Would love that, Tiger :)

We've been on a WDW kick and we love DCL too....

With that said there are other places that I really want to get back to or new places to try but it's hard to give up the Disney trips once you have the bug.

Places I really want to go back to:
Rental house in Outer Banks!
Oceanlakes Family Campground in Myrtle Beach
NYC (love it but it's pricey)
Washington DC (have never taken the kids yet)
Grand Canyon (again, last time was before kids)
Vegas (had a great adults only trip at Bellagio and I loved it!)
Boston (whale watching was awesome)

New places we keep meaning to get to:
All of California (been to DL but that's it)
Anything out west
All inclusive resorts (all of our Caribbean experience has been on cruises)
Philly/Gettysburg/Williamsburg
Hawaii
Europe

Even with endless options our favorites are WDW, cruises, and beach house rentals. Since we don't have a pool at home renting a nice vacation home at somewhere like the Outer Banks and having our own pool is really nice. Split it with grandparents and a sibling or two and it's even better.

Nothing beats Disney though!

Even with endless options our favorites are WDW, cruises, and beach house rentals. Since we don't have a pool at home renting a nice vacation home at somewhere like the Outer Banks and having our own pool is really nice. Split it with grandparents and a sibling or two and it's even better.

Nothing beats Disney though!

You sound like us. We love the NC Outer Banks for the seculsion. There is nothing like a beach house and just sitting on the porch wastching the dolphins swim by.

Many people have said a Disney Cruise as their alternative but doesn't that count as Disney again? It's like saying you aren't going to Virginia beach again but instead head to the outer banks... "not that there's anything wrong with that!" but does that really count as an alternative to Disney? ;)

We have been going to WDW a lot since we got married 5 years ago and more often now with owning DVC and having a kid. We are planning two Disney trips a year but every other year we may do a non Disney trip. We did 2 weeks in Maui in May. Next year will be only Disney trips but then the following year one of our trips will be replaced by a trip to Ireland to see family. We haven't taken DS age 2 there yet and we have another on the way. So Ireland will be a good non Disney choice for us since it's to see family.

Two years ago when I was pg with my son we skipped the January WDW trip and went to Rome. We trynto do other things but always know we are going back to Disney!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter