• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

So what IS the deal with passports?

Dr.Girlfriend

DIS Veteran
DCL had on their page a few weeks ago that they didn't "need" a passport until the end of the year. Now it's looking a little different. We didn't get passports because we (stupidly) assumed that the passport deadline would happen AFTER we cruised.

What's the deal? Will we need to expedite passports? We cruise in less than 100 days.

DCL had on their page a few weeks ago that they didn't "need" a passport until the end of the year. Now it's looking a little different. We didn't get passports because we (stupidly) assumed that the passport deadline would happen AFTER we cruised.

What's the deal? Will we need to expedite passports? We cruise in less than 100 days.

Passports are not required for US citizens leaving/re-entering the US via a cruise ship, until at least next January. Either a passport or proof of application (printed from the State Dept. web site) is required for those who are flying. Take a look at www.state.gov for more info.

I'm cruising in a little over 100 days, and requested a renewal on my passport, since it expired in February, just to be on the safe side.

I was nervous when I sent it, as if it was taking the 12+ weeks some are reporting, I would be cutting it close.

I decided not to expedite, but did send my application materials via FedEx (mainly so I'd have an immediate record of when they received it). I sent my package on 7/25.

Imagine my shock when I got an e-mail from the Passport Office last night saying that my application was complete, and they were mailing me my passport. With US priority mail (which is their standard procedure), I should have it by Monday. I about fell out of my chair!

I'm keeping my fingers crossed, and I'll truly believe it when I see it, but maybe the passport crunch is easing!

but maybe the passport crunch is easing!

I wouldn't count on it. We applied for a replacement passport for DS the first of June and had to call our US Senator's office to get it expedited, because we are traveling out of the country next week. After that call, it came in the mail 48 hours later.

Nope, not easing up. I just passed the 18 week mark and they have just now decided that there is a "problem" with one of them. Luckily I don't need it until the end of October, but at this point, by the time I get the documents they want, overnight them (more money) and get them going it will be close.

Nope, not easing up. I just passed the 18 week mark and they have just now decided that there is a "problem" with one of them. Luckily I don't need it until the end of October, but at this point, by the time I get the documents they want, overnight them (more money) and get them going it will be close.

My sister just got hers and she ordered them when I did. She got them I think within 7 weeks for her family of 3 last week.

so if we sail May 08 do we need them?

Most likely YES. There is a chance that they will push the date back but I wouldn't count on it. I would get them now then you will know they should arrive in time. We got ours last year had them in 6 weeks. Won't happen now. Good luck.

so if we sail May 08 do we need them?

We Just sent away for our pasports for a DCL in Feb, and were told that after the first of the year everyone will need a passport if they plan on leaving the US.

We were also told it will probably take 13 weeks to get them.

i went in a few weeks ago and I was given the 8-10 weeks on the paper they gave me and when I took DD on Monday I was told 12 weeks. I'm just taking it as wait and see and if I dont' have it by December then I'll pester since DD has a school trip to Quebec in February.

We just got ours back a few days ago. We applied for them mid June. So it took about 8 weeks or so for ours. They were new passports and we did not pay to expedite them. We were pleasantly surprised to receive them that quickly.
:cool1:

Michelle

This is so crazy, and I guess typical of the government bureaucracy. We sent in one son's passport application in April, and still have no passport. We sent a second son' application in at the end of May and received his passport several weeks ago. When I called State Dept. (out of concern that my first son's application had a problem with it), they told me that the applications were processed at different branches (even though they were sent in by the same local Post Office). So I guess that can make a difference of.......let's see....at least 7 weeks and counting, in the processing. Good thing we got them in early, so we don't have to worry about it....yet! Wish they'd get their act together!!!! :confused:

I'm cruising in a little over 100 days, and requested a renewal on my passport, since it expired in February, just to be on the safe side.

I was nervous when I sent it, as if it was taking the 12+ weeks some are reporting, I would be cutting it close.

I decided not to expedite, but did send my application materials via FedEx (mainly so I'd have an immediate record of when they received it). I sent my package on 7/25.

Imagine my shock when I got an e-mail from the Passport Office last night saying that my application was complete, and they were mailing me my passport. With US priority mail (which is their standard procedure), I should have it by Monday. I about fell out of my chair!

I'm keeping my fingers crossed, and I'll truly believe it when I see it, but maybe the passport crunch is easing!

This was a renewal though over the mail. No expedite. No bothering our congressman. 2 weeks flat! Believe it Tinkeroo, it's coming!

This was a renewal though over the mail. No expedite. No bothering our congressman. 2 weeks flat! Believe it Tinkeroo, it's coming!

Yes, it was - it arrived today! :woohoo:

Mine was a renewal as well - maybe that had something to do with it. I also sent it FedEx, so maybe that can't hurt as well. Just a bit over two weeks - amazing! So glad I didn't pay to expedite! :goodvibes

Here's some :wizard: :wizard: for all those awaiting their passports - may yours come quickly, too!

All right,now I'm getting nervous. I cruise next week and our passports have expired. I didn't order new ones because I didn't want to be without our birth certificates in case they didn't come in time. I'm planning on starting the application process when we get back. Now I've read this at the Atlantis webpage:

PENDING PASSPORT APPLICATIONS ALLOWED TEMPORARY TRAVEL

June 7th, 2007 - U.S. citizens traveling to Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, and Bermuda who have applied for but not yet received passports can nevertheless temporarily enter and depart from the United States by air with a government issued photo identification and Department of State official proof of application for a passport through September 30, 2007. The federal government is making this accommodation for air travel due to longer than expected processing times for passport applications in the face of record-breaking demand.

What is going on? I'm calling DCL this morning.

Quote:
PENDING PASSPORT APPLICATIONS ALLOWED TEMPORARY TRAVEL

June 7th, 2007 - U.S. citizens traveling to Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, and Bermuda who have applied for but not yet received passports can nevertheless temporarily enter and depart from the United States by air with a government issued photo identification and Department of State official proof of application for a passport through September 30, 2007. The federal government is making this accommodation for air travel due to longer than expected processing times for passport applications in the face of record-breaking demand.
What is going on? I'm calling DCL this morning.

that's for air travel
you're still officially ok with BC & Driver's license until January, 2008

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter