So.. what have you read lately? Book group recommendations??

mamajoan

<font color=red>gotta hobble ....silly goose!.
Hi guys.... our little,local book group meets tonight.. Our February pick Founding Brothers.. . was a flop.. kinda boring....

Do you have any suggestions of a good book for next month?

All suggestions worthy and much appreciated!

Thanks,
Joan

:D

I just finished reading a few good ones.. one was about the women in the Civil Rights movement.. it was very good, and gave you many insights you would not have normally seen/heard...

Such as we all know about Rosa Parks, and the bus, but there are so many other stories, and women who risked their very lives for freedom. It was amazing, inspiring, and made me very aware of history.

The books was called Freedom's Daughters.. fantastic.

I've also just read Girl, Interrupted.. (yes, there was a book, that went with the movie!). The book is much better than the movie, and more true to life.. (it was good, but not very long, maybe 160 pages.. finished it in over an hour)

I've also just read the Murder Book by Jonathan Kellerman. I love Jonathan Kellermans books, and this one is the most recent. I have read all of his Alex Delaware series, and this is one of the better ones.

I've also just read a Grisham book, called the Testament.. pretty interesting, and a quick read as well.

This one is a little off beat but I found it truly fascinating. "The Life of Pi". The book jacket says it is the story of a 16 year old Indian boy shipwrecked in the Pacific with a Bengal Tiger.

I won't give away any more than that but it provides loads of food for discussion! A couple of us just "read" it (ok, we tend to spend hours on the road so this reading was on CD) and had a blast comparing notes and interpretations.

Deb

How about The Lovely Bones? It's a good read and should offer plenty of group discussion.

Good in Bed by Jennifer Weiner is a very well written and very funny book.

I knew I could count on you guys! Keep 'em coming folks....

some of these sound really good, I shall do a search :Pinkbounc :bounce:

The last book I enjoyed was Good Harbor - Anita Diamant.

I read a few already mentioned - "Girl Interrupted" (excellent) and "Good in Bed" (very good, sort of bittersweet).

Right now I am reading "The Florabama Ladies Auxilary & Sewing Club". Excellent so far, along the lines of a Fried Green Tomatos - quirky characters, funny, sort of light. I'm about a quarter of the way through.

Sea Glass by Anita Shreve. I LOVED this book, all the characters were so well written and I couldn't wait to find out what would happen next.

I'm reading one now called, "Lovely Bones" by Alice Sebold. It's a very dark story, but it's a great read! I have felt every possible emotion reading this book, and I'm not even finished yet.

The Red Tent is a great book club choice. As is The Nanny Diaries. Another great one is The Passion of Artemesia. These are especially good for all-women book groups. I'm not sure if men would be able to get into them. Didn't care for Lovely Bones, although I'm definately in the minority there! Good luck.

I enjoy Anita Shreve novels. She is an amazing talent.

Good in Bed looks like alot of fun... I am going to get if for myself.
Unfortunately my book group ladies can be kind of mmm prudish, if ya know what I mean. so the Red Tent would not go over well either..but that sounds very interesting.

Life of Pi ? Is it a straight fiction read or is it mysical/surreal with hidden meanings etc?

Hi! "Good in Bed" is an awesome book. I just finished reading another book that would be great for an all women's book club: "The Last Girls" by Lee Smith. I thought about the themes in this book for days afterward. It's really an incredible book.

"The Secret Life of Bees" by Sue Monk Kidd, a really great read. Plus, it's just out in paperback, so not nearly as pricey. I'm reading "The Last Sin Eater" now and it's good, too, but has a lot of Christian references, which depending on your book club, might not be their cup of tea.

Edie

Mamajoan -

"LIfe of Pi" is published as fiction and reads as a novel. However, there is enough, hmm...what is the word I want? Outlandishness? Stretching of the realm of possibility? Not surrealism though. Anyway, there is enough to the story to keep the pages turning (or discs in my case!) and provoke interesting discussion.

Snowwark - so which story did you think was "the better story"? Sorry mamajoan - can't let you in on that yet - might ruin the read! :p

Deb

Originally posted by Cindy B
I've also just read the Murder Book by Jonathan Kellerman. I love Jonathan Kellermans books, and this one is the most recent. I have read all of his Alex Delaware series, and this is one of the better ones.

I've also just read a Grisham book, called the Testament.. pretty interesting, and a quick read as well.

I love Jonathan Kellerman! I also have read ALL of his. John Grisham's too! I've read both of those.

Have you ever read any of the books by Kellerman's wife, Faye? They are pretty good too. Most are also a series.

I just finished the 4th Harry Potter book. I loved everyone of those books. I can not wait until the 5th book comes out!

I'm reading a book now called Last Man Standing... but I forget who it's by! Ugh! I'm near the beginning though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter