So what happens when we get close to 2040 or 2050+ when ownership runs out?

We look at each other from our comfy rockers on the porch of the old folks home and say, "Do you remember where it was we used to go on vacation?"

No, really, it reverts back to Disney, and no one knows what they will do. I intend to enjoy the next 36+ years vacationing with my family!!!! By the time my contracts expire, my children will be 47 and 52, so I think the current timeframe allows my family and my future grandchildren to enjoy many years of WDW fun!

By that time, my son will be re-joining DVC. DS9 and already he's a DVCaholic. Maybe he'll take me on a trip! :rotfl:

well I'm only 26... so say 35 years from now I'll only be 61 (I know that's old, but still I'd like to think of this as something for my kids/grandkids as well)

At that point I'll be 91. We had a financial advisor recently ask us how long we wanted our retirement money to last (which is a nice way of saying "When do you expect to die"). I'm all set to self-destruct along with DVC-when it ends, I end!

At that point, you click your heels together three times and say, "There's no place like home! There's no place like home!..."

dcibrando said:
So what happens when we get close to 2040 or 2050+ when ownership runs out?
The answer is that nobody knows, including Disney. They don't have to worry about this for a while, and much will probably depend on the state of WDW at that time.

Think about it....WDW is only 34 years old, and think how much has changed in those years!

Now think about DVC...contracts have 37-49 years left on them! I doubt that Disney is all that worried about this question quite yet. Probably when the first contracts get within 10 years or so they'll be getting serious about their plans.

Many have speculated on what they will do. Will they offer DVC "renewals" for 12 years (to make them the same as SSR)? Will they start all over with new 50 year contracts? Will they convert them all to regular WDW resorts?

Nobody knows, but it can be fun to speculate. I will also be too old to worry about it, but that doesn't mean that speculation can't be fun. :)

My inside informant says that DVC explodes. :crazy:

I think it depends upon the economy. If the economy is good and WDW is doing great. Then I think you can say goodbye to the DVC villa. :guilty: :sad2: they can easily change several thousand a night for the GV and close to that for the 2-bedroom.

however if the economy is not doing well then I would think DVC would add some years to the contract for a min price.

There's a couple of other issues that I read about relating to this, which struck me.

1. At some point the DVC points cost / years left is going to cross the divide, and the cost per point will first level out and then start to drop. Since the number of points left in the remainder of a contract will not justify the cost. Also, anyone buying now could probably sell their points in 10 years time and get their money back. People buying in the later years won't have that option and will be buying a depreciating asset.

2. Are people going to want to pay for major refurbs of their resorts, via dues, when the resort ownerships themselves only have a few year left? Does that mean that resorts will gradually run down?

I think that Disney would be wise to start some kind of ongoing incentive about the time when points values start to drop away. Maybe allowing a part exchange of points into a new 50 year contract on the resort, or other DVC resorts.

This is why I think most timeshares not temporary leases, which is what DVC amounts to. 50 years of prepaid rent... It must cause issues in the later years...

I always wonder about this myself!! I bought when I was 26 years old. When I retire and REALLY have the time to spend down in Florida, my time will have expired. Somewhere along the line, it would be nice if they offered contract extensions. I guess time will tell!! :earsboy:

Ok, you can chuck something at me if this is a stupid question... :duck: ... if I were to get waitlisted and got into BWV or OKW would my contract run out before a contract at SSR?

Ergens2 said:
Ok, you can chuck something at me if this is a stupid question... :duck: ... if I were to get waitlisted and got into BWV or OKW would my contract run out before a contract at SSR?

If you're talking about actually buying points at OKW or BWV vs. owning at SSR, then the answer is yes. OKW and BWV contracts end in 2042, while SSR runs through 2054.

SSR is th only DVC that goes to 2054. All others go to 2042.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter