So... What do you do?

I'm a retired state trooper after 33 years and love every minute of it. I'm so busy with helping elderly people now that if I wasn't retired there would not be enough hours in the day. Travel to Disney 3 - 4 times a year never get tired of the place.
Pros - all pros
Cons - none

This has been an interesting thread to read!

Way back when there was a thing called CD's and DVD's ;) I worked for a little known company known as Columbia House as a CSR. As it was apparent that ship was sinking I decided to go back to school and got my nursing BSN.

I've been a RN for 5 years now. Dedicated to the nightshift. I've worked the same unit... a specialized surgical floor that recently incorporated outpatient surgeries. Recently though, that same feeling I got at Columbia House is resurfacing... not necessarily focused on my hospital, but healthcare in general. I know there will always be a need for me somewhere, but it will be interesting to see what the next 10 years brings.

I usually love what I do, but every job has its issues. I've dabbled in the thought of going back to school, but without a clear cut plan and limited finances, right now I'm holding on during the storm. I don't think I could recommend anyone become a nurse right now though, unless it's just in your heart and you couldn't imagine anything else.

I'm a Commercial Lender for a region bank. I do mostly farm loans and lines of credit but also finance other business. I love what I do and just celebrated 20 years in the industry. Literally worked my way up from being a clerk to my current position. I also did a stint as a bank branch manager (not entirely by choice but due to a bank reorganization) I like managing people but most don't realize that the pay scale for a lender is much higher than the branch manager.

It's difficult to describe exactly what I do, but essentially I work in a boutique investment/private equity/venture capital firm where my area of expertise is in assembling investment syndicates, primarily for start-up and mezzanine-level businesses in the technology and health sciences fields. I absolutely adore what I do, as every day is something new and interesting, and I work for a truly wonderful man and have a fantastic team working for me.

I have a bachelor's degree in food science and a master's in protein biochemistry. I spent 25 years doing laboratory research as a lab manager/research scientist, investigating such things as determining what makes nerves grow, causative factors in Alzheimer's disease, genetic factors in HDL/LDL cholesterol, reducing the toxicity of chemotherapeutic agents, and using genetic sequences to identify different types of microbes and viruses. LOTS of molecular biology and biochemistry!

Pros: Loved the work, loved science, loved discovery
Cons: Long hours (nights/weekends), paid mostly through grants and other "soft" money, which is actually why I left the field.

I lost my science job almost 6 years ago, when the grant funding dried up. After being unemployed for almost 9 months, I landed a position as an educational technician in the special education department in a local K-8 school. I have no teaching credentials, but they needed someone who could "do the math," and a friend who is a speech-language pathologist in the school recommended me. I've been there ever since, originally co-teaching in the 8th grade pre-algebra classes, currently working in the K-5 resource room. I work with kids one-on-one (or sometimes 2 or 3 on 1 when we are swamped), teaching math primarily. I also back-up the language program, so do a fair amount of reading, spelling, and writing. Although we do not formally support science and social studies, we tend to use the classroom texts from these classes in some of our english program; after all, reading about landing on the moon and writing a paper or doing a poster presentation is still reading and writing, right? I love what I do now, and am a very good teacher. I also really enjoy working with the kids, most of whom have some (mostly minor) form of attention disorder, autism, or emotional disturbance as their qualification for special education.

Pros: Flexible hours :-):yes::), like my coworkers, LOVE working individually with kids, learned that I love math and am good at it (such a different message from that of my high school teachers), LOVE having the summer off.

Cons: Didn't start doing this job soon enough while DD was in school so we'd have the same vacations; also the pay stinks (if current "demands" go into effect, I'll earn less per hour than the part-timers at McDonalds), and we are paid hourly. No pay for school vacations, holidays, snow days. It's harder to run a home and budget when your income isn't stable from month to month… and of course no pay in the summer :worried:.

I have a little college but not much since I was working fulltime and also had 4 kids.
I work for the state and review foreign and partial degree transcripts to see if someone is qualified to take the exam to be a nurse in our state.(last 10 years)

I use to also do the same for the Marriage and Family Therapists years ago and verified lottery winning tickets with the Lottery Board. (previous 10 years)

I'm a Commercial Lender for a region bank. I do mostly farm loans and lines of credit but also finance other business. I love what I do and just celebrated 20 years in the industry. Literally worked my way up from being a clerk to my current position. I also did a stint as a bank branch manager (not entirely by choice but due to a bank reorganization) I like managing people but most don't realize that the pay scale for a lender is much higher than the branch manager.

I should add that I don't have a college degree. I did do a "degree" program through ABA for Commercial Lending but most of my training has been on the job. Not the easiest way to do it that's for sure. I'm sure I didn't get promoted as fast as I could have because of it.

I'm the Acting Chair of our Kinesiology Dept.
"Acting" as I don't have my PhD yet. (Done classes, just comp exams & dissertation left)

LOVE, love, love my job!
Interesting work & people, great flexibility.

I work all-the-time with emails, online classes, grants, projects, etc.

Currently I am homeschooling my 7th and 9th grader. I absolutely love it and feel so blessed to do it because I know they will be gone so soon, so it is great to spend time with them!

Prior to that? I worked as a Speech Language Pathologist. I worked for the county for eight years and then decided to move to a regular classroom for another six years. I taught first and fourth grade.

Pros: seeing children grow and knowing you had a hand in it. Being a first grade teacher was awesome because many kids were not reading or not reading fluently and would leave fluent readers. As an SLP I helped work on a research study at a local hospital with autistic children and communication. That was amazing. One client went from totally nonverbal to simple communication.

Cons: Daily travel when an SLP within the county was a bear. As a teacher, no time to even go to the bathroom! The effect of local politics on the classroom. Crazy parents.

I want to tell mt DH's story because it is so great. When we met he was hanging window treatments in parade homes. His motivation level was...well interesting at best. He would cancel jobs if it interfered with social plans, he rarely billed his customers. It was a hot mess. He went to college ONE day and quit because the parking situation was not to his liking. He actually had to walk to class.:rolleyes: when he asked to marry me I told him yes but he better come to the table with something more or my old man would shut that right down.

Flash forward almost twenty years. My DH started his own office products company. He started with himself and two others. Now 180 employees strong he just sold to a major company in the industry. It is amazing what hard work and motivation can accomplish. I am very proud of him. Even better, he is a great husband and dad!!!:)

I'm an attorney. I work mainly in health law corporate transactions (translation, I write contracts for hospitals and doctors). I got here after 4 years of undergrad, a year in between schools working at a scientific lab, 2.5 years of law school, and 6 months of internship while studying for the Bar exam.

I hate my job. Hate, hate, hate. It is not worth the money and other perks. If you want to become a lawyer, don't come to me for support. At least, not if you want to work in the private sector. I know a bunch of people who work for the state, and they seem generally at ease with their positions.

Zeph, that's a shame. What is keeping you in that job then (genuine question)?

I am an office manager at a driving school.
I taught the Defensive Driving class for about 6 years, but let my license expire last year as I was tired of the company thinking that I was a last minute back up for any scheduled instructor that didn't/couldn't show up to teach class.
Now I just do the office work signing up people for DUI classes, Defensive Driving Classes, Driver's Ed & such.

I've been retired for the last few years, and loving every single minute of it!:thumbsup2

But I was an RN for over 30 years, and (mostly) loved it too. One of the main things I loved was how much variety there was to the work and how 'portable' it was. Being able to find a good job just about anywhere came in really handy when you're married to someone in the military.

Over the years I worked on different hospital surgical floors, joined the Canadian Forces and qualified as a Flight Nurse, was a staff education instructor, worked Neuro ICU, and worked in a Day Surgery center. The last was my favourite- there was never time to be bored since we dealt with so many different specialties and included a lot of patient teaching.

The only down side for me, and what eventually led to my retirement was the ever-increasing intrusion of the bean counters and admin types in the day to day care of patients. I got so sick and tired of seeing $$ taking priority over good health care.

Pedigree says Accounting/Business.

Used it for little while doing credit worthiness for small businesses on the consulting side. HATED it. Money was great, hours and people where just horrible.5 yrs

Credit Manager- resale electronic sales dept, loved it, hated screaming boss, would have stayed but owner moved the office over hour away. 1.45 min drive no thank you. 3 yrs
Payroll clerk- loved the numbers, office location, people disliked that it was a fill in 6 month job. :(
Office bookkeeper - loved the numbers hated the pay.1.5 yrs
part-time SAHM- loved the kids hated the empty time
Retail - loved the facing and people, disliked the corp rules 8 months

Hotel concierge, guest services (desk clerk)fill in, house keeping fill in is my present passion. 4 years running love the guest/drama, travel perks, very flexible hours. hate base pay, hotels never close.

Life is funny if someone would have told me I would be scrubbing toilets for pay with college education by my choosing, I would have loled my self silly.

SAHM and homeschooling mom to two kids, soon to be three and part-time opera singer with Florida Opera Theater. I have a degree in musicology, but always knew i would be a SAHM once we had kids. I love that I also get to keep a "career" going on the side with FOT and teaching voice lessons out of my home. Pro -- I stay home with my kids but also do what i love. Cons -- I have pretty much no hope of advancing beyond chorus and comprimario roles because i don't want to dedicate my life full-time to an opera career. (I am also the children's ministry director at my church, but that is just bc I am the only one who said yes!)

Sent from me.

SAHM and homeschooling mom to two kids, soon to be three and part-time opera singer with Florida Opera Theater. I have a degree in musicology, but always knew i would be a SAHM once we had kids. I love that I also get to keep a "career" going on the side with FOT and teaching voice lessons out of my home. Pro -- I stay home with my kids but also do what i love. Cons -- I have pretty much no hope of advancing beyond chorus and comprimario roles because i don't want to dedicate my life full-time to an opera career. (I am also the children's ministry director at my church, but that is just bc I am the only one who said yes!)

Sent from me.

Sorry...I'm going:offtopic: for a moment
I didn't know you were expecting. How exciting!!! Have you mentioned that and I missed it? Congratulations. Also, what a really neat job. I always wanted to be able to at least carry a tune but not so lucky. I have prayed to God that when I die and go to heaven that he would give me great voice to be in the praise band...lol!

I'm a virtualization consultant. I work mainly with Citrix products.

Being successful in my field requires a great deal of experience and education in a wide variety of information technology fields, including networking, security, Active Directory, and storage. Unfortunately obtaining the required education is nearly impossible in universities, so most employers look for experience first and certifications second.

It's a good career with good pay. It's challenging in that I must always devote time to learning and keeping up with new products. Part of this is maintaining a home lab, so there is the investment of my own money.

The aspect I like the least is the travel. I'm on the road probably 65 - 75% of the time, which is hard with a family at home. On the plus side when I'm not traveling I work from home.

Sorry...I'm going:offtopic: for a moment
I didn't know you were expecting. How exciting!!! Have you mentioned that and I missed it? Congratulations. Also, what a really neat job. I always wanted to be able to at least carry a tune but not so lucky. I have prayed to God that when I die and go to heaven that he would give me great voice to be in the praise band...lol!

I'm due in march with another boy :-)

I've wanted to be an opera singer since I was 10, not really a conventional goal for that age!

Sent from me.

I'm due in march with another boy :-)

I've wanted to be an opera singer since I was 10, not really a conventional goal for that age!

Sent from me.

Ok I'm a knucklehead! I just saw your due date on the bottom. I'm not great with attention to detail sometimes;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter