So what can you tell me about Lexington, KY?

Lorelei Lee

DIS Veteran
I'll be there for a short business trip in May. I don't know if I'll have time to do some exploring, but if I do, what shouldn't I miss?

I'll be there for a short business trip in May. I don't know if I'll have time to do some exploring, but if I do, what shouldn't I miss?
There are various horse farms (with tours) around the surrounding area. The same with distillery tours.
There's a single-A baseball team in town.
Keeneland (horse track) won't be running, but you could still go walk around the grounds.
The University of Kentucky is located there. The basketball team plays at Rupp Arena and I think there might be tours offered of that facility.
There are state parks within an hours drive if that's your thing.
You can just drive around the area (get out of Lexington proper into the country)
If you golf, there's a lot of reasonably priced courses within an hour's drive.
There's all kinds of various shopping (both specialty and chain).
Eating depends on what you like. For a "Central Kentucky flavor" type of meal, look up Hall's on the River. It should be about 30-45 minutes out of Lexington, famous for it's Kentucky Hot Browns.

My family vacationed in KY last spring and spent some time in Lexington. Our favorite part was visiting Claiborne Horse Farm. Secretariat is buried them and it is a thriving, working Thoroughbred horse farm. They have some tours ran by trainers that are just fascinating. You get to hear some history and learn about the process of breeding these $$$$$$ horses. No admission fee, tip the trainer. I am pretty sure reservations were needed, but we made them that morning.

Keeneland and/or Kentucky Horse Park, the Arboretum ... and if you have time to do a little driving ... distillery tour in Woodford County, Frankfort (the state capital), various historical sites, etc.

lots of ideas here!
http://www.visitlex.com/

Perfect thread! DD wants to put UK on her college visit list, so we'll be going in the spring. :drive:Thanks for all the ideas!

Perfect thread! DD wants to put UK on her college visit list, so we'll be going in the spring. :drive:Thanks for all the ideas!

I allllllmost went to UK. I went on an official visit and really liked it and my best friend went there and still makes the trip back every year for homecoming 10 years after graduating because she loved it so much. I ended up signing somewhere else but everyone that I know that went there loved it.

I allllllmost went to UK. I went on an official visit and really liked it and my best friend went there and still makes the trip back every year for homecoming 10 years after graduating because she loved it so much. I ended up signing somewhere else but everyone that I know that went there loved it.

Aw, that's good to know! Thank you!! :thumbsup2
We'll see how she likes it and if they have the programs she is looking for.:)

Sadly the grass is not really blue which was a bit disappointing.

However, if you like cajun type food at all you should go to this little restaurant called Bourbon n' Toulouse. I went there once and it was really really good. I always planned to make it back but never did.

Lexington is wonderful. :lovestruc

If you are looking for someplace to eat, I highly recommend The Windy Corner Market (in Lexington). If you can drive about 20 minutes out of town, I would suggest a few hours in Midway where you should definitely eat at Wallace Station. It's a small former train station where the space is crowded, the tables/chairs mis-matched and the food is AMAZING. Weather permitting, grab your food and head out back to the picnic tables under the trees and by the barn. Make sure you check out the décor inside - there's lots of local horse-y memorabilia.

Wallace Station is right across the road from Three Chimneys Farm where the late, great Seattle Slew lived and died (he lived a very long and productive life!). You can call ahead and try and get a tour. It's breathtaking.

A short drive to downtown Midway (a one stoplight town!) takes you to railroad street where you can walk and browse the shops. It's a great way to spend the afternoon.

You can go out to Midway on Old Frankfort Pike all the way to Wallace Station. Then it's a quick drive to Midway and then you can head back through some of the scenic routes through Versailles where you can see our local castle (yep, a real castle!).

That would be my idea of a perfect afternoon in The Bluegrass. :thumbsup2 :cloud9:

While you're in town, you should check out Transylvania University. It's a beautiful and very OLD college in downtown Lexington. Transy is actually the parent college to UK. :thumbsup2

While you're in town, you should check out Transylvania University. It's a beautiful and very OLD college in downtown Lexington. Transy is actually the parent college to UK. :thumbsup2

lovely campus ... we were there today for scholarship interviews! :upsidedow

Sounds beautiful! Although not sure how open DD will be to a school named Transylvania...;) Seriously, we will check it out!

Sorry to hijack your thread with college stuff, Lorelei Lee! :blush:

lovely campus ... we were there today for scholarship interviews! :upsidedow

Best Wishes!

YOU MUST GET A HOT BROWN. Seriously, they are my favorite yummy food.

Back to things to do...YUM! Any recommendations of best places to go?

There are various horse farms (with tours) around the surrounding area. The same with distillery tours.
Keeneland (horse track) won't be running, but you could still go walk around the grounds.
The University of Kentucky is located there. The basketball team plays at Rupp Arena and I think there might be tours offered of that facility.
You can just drive around the area (get out of Lexington proper into the country)
Eating depends on what you like. For a "Central Kentucky flavor" type of meal, look up Hall's on the River. It should be about 30-45 minutes out of Lexington, famous for it's Kentucky Hot Browns.

Your post brought back so many memories! We lived just outside of Lexington in a little town called Georgetown for almost two years. We loved it! We would drive to Halls on the River for dinner often. :goodvibes

If I could suggest anything it would be to visit the Horse Park. We found it very interesting. It's just beautiful up there so just getting out and riding around was fun to me.

I went to UK for 2 degrees. For distillery tours, Maker's Mark is fun and not much farther away than Woodford--about 45 minutes. In lexington it is nice just to drive around the back roads and look at the beautiful farms.
Our favorite restaurant in town near campus is still Ramsey's. Good country cooking. :)

I go to Lexington several times a year for business. I haven't had a lot of time to sight-see, but I have to eat ;)

Here are some of my favorites:

Breakfast - Josey's. Just a basic, local diner, but their cheese grits converted me into a grits fan.

Lunch - Stella's. This is a hole-in-the wall sandwich place in an old Victorian house. All the sandwiches I've had have been wonderful (locally sourced, organic products) - and their burger is the best I've ever had. BUT - they have this pie called "Mary Porter pie". Seriously?????? I would make a trip to Lexington just for this pie.

Dinner - there are several places I enjoy, but my top three are Nick Ryan's, The Village Idiot and Dudley's on Short.

I'm not a fan of the hot brown. Ramsey's in Lexington is supposed to be the best, but it is just too much gravy and cheese for me.

The make great Chocolate Covered Cherries with that special Kentucky flavoring!

If you are looking for a nice place for dinner, many people usually go to Malone's for steaks. While I like Malone's and think their food is really good, I MUCH prefer Merrick Inn. It's an awesome restaurant inside an old home. Reservations are recommended but you can also sit in one of the bar areas or outside in warm weather. Same food and service and there are tables so not just sitting at the bar itself, but just in a more relaxed setting

Yup. Ramsey's and Winchell's make good Hot Browns, too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter