• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

So tragic, yet so true indeed. What if Calvin took Ritalin

Not to mention, not necessarily, as my daughter takes Metadate, same active ingredient as Ritalin, and still talks to her stuffed animals, still has the same active imagination, etc.

What a fantastic example of what medication can do for children that REALLY need it. For anyone against medicating children that NEED help to focus in school they should look at this. Spend an hour with a child that REALLY needs medication, just watch their eyes for an hour trying to read. You will see that there are kids out there that NEED medication to help them succeed in school.

Is this supposed to be saying that Ritalin will take away a child's imagination, creativity and individuality? If so, that is total bs.

If a child needs Ritalin or any ADHD meds; it will not change their personality only their ability to focus. And that focus will make them more able to expand their creativity and imagination.

What a fantastic example of what medication can do for children that REALLY need it. For anyone against medicating children that NEED help to focus in school they should look at this. Spend an hour with a child that REALLY needs medication, just watch their eyes for an hour trying to read. You will see that there are kids out there that NEED medication to help them succeed in school.

:thumbsup2

My dd was medicated. We did opt to stop--and she is advised regularly to learn to control herself or she'll go back on (which she doesn't want to do).

The theory that the meds are mind-numbing is nothing but ignorance. They actually help waken up portions of the brain to facilitate learning and concentration.

As someone posted earlier--this is not a 24/7 drug either. And with the creation of patch medication--meds can be stopped at will even. That was our favored med--but dosage was tough and our isnurance refused to cover it. Ingested pills give dd a tummy ache.

So thus we are med free.

Would love for her to be able to concentrate better.

ETA: In all my years of reading C&H--it never occurred to me that he was ADHD. It takes incredible focus for a kid to have that elaborate of an imagination. Are we to assume the Family Circus kids that don't like to do their homework are ADHD as well?

Yep. While it is popular to think that creativity and spirit is somehow impaired by medication, the opposite is true for my kids. Their medications not only help them achieve in school (which builds their self-esteem and confidence) but also helps them focus on their countless "projects" for more than thirty seconds at a time. They are busy, happy, creative kids who are no longer frustrated because their brains are running out of control. The anti-med brigade can stick it as far as I am concerned because most of them aren't in the trenches dealing with the day to day.

:thumbsup2

That cartoon made me angry. This anti-medication mentality only hurts those who need it.

That said, I'm very skeptical of doctors who put children on medication that isn't approved for their age range (like SSRIs) but putting children on medication that DOES help them isn't wrong, and shouldn't be viewed like this.

I understand why people are reluctant to put their child on a daily medication. I do....but, Adderall has improved my son's life in so many ways. It has given him the abilty to participate in life. He used to expend so much energy trying to focus and keep himself together. By the time he got home from school he was totallly exhausted. He was never a behavior problem...but being 'good' was a full-time job/effort for him. He didn't have any energy left to do other things. Now he can particiapte in extra activities. He can relax. Our family life has improved. It has been life changing.

Jess

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter