So torn! Is it worth taking a day away from WDW to go over to Universal?

The only way I would do that is if you were staying 8 or more days. 4-5 days is the perfect amount of time for Disney, but I think it will feel rushed to squeeze Universal in, too. I say this b/c I considered doing that also ;)

4-5 days at WDW is fine and I wouldn't take one for Universal at any cost.

When we do longer trips (7 nights or more) then we would do a split stay. Portofino Bay is beautiful. Much nicer than my favorite WDW property BC.

Early access is key to enjoy the HP area's. A day trip would be crowded and hectic. Although Forbiden Journey and Gringotts are by far superior to any one ride at WDW there isn't much room to roam for non-thrill riders after that.

We have done a UNI/IOA day even more since FP+ came around.

We are done by late afternoon at US/IOA and then have a great evening planned at WDW (US closes too early anyway for us) including FP+ and night shows.

Its expensive, but HP World/s is a must do at least once.

After we usually pick either:

DHS for TSM/TOT/ST and Fantasmic and Star Wars Fireworks, or MK for 7DMT/BTMRR/SM and the Parade/Celebrate the Magic/Wishes.

Before FP+ the popular attractions were an hour or so each, making that evening much less productive/enjoyable.

I like Universal too but to me it's too expensive to go for just one day, just as WDW is too expensive to do one day if I were doing a Universal vacation.

Now hide the internet from him so he can't see footage of the new Kong ride!

So we just watched the video of ride. I hate that I'm being a downer...but that's it? Aside from the end, it's just like Spiderman. Just like it. Diagon Alley looks amazing, Kong not so much.

On a brighter note, Lightening Rod is finally open at Dollywood!!! Will be on it in a few months!!!

I find it funny that every is talking about a day at US as "taking away a day at WDW." I can't see her choice in those terms.

Isn't OP choosing how he WANTS to spend her time? Isn't she CHOOSING the most appealing option?

Wouldn't she be ADDING an ADDITIONAL experience to his vacation? If she decides to spend her entire vacation in ONE place, isn't that the option with LESS variety? Mind, WDW has enough entertainment to keep folks busy for a full week.

(I posted this before reading the 3rd page.) Since she asked the question backwards, I gather she'd already decided what she WANTS to do before she posted, and is mostly seeking validation of her choice to SKIP US. (YUP!)

That said, her kids are plenty old enough to enjoy US.

Further, US prices aren't the problem, IMO. The problem is WDW's high hotel prices, on a day when OP wouldn't be using the WDW perks. In other words, why pay for the WDW buses on a day you aren't using them?

OP would do much better to modify his WDW hotel reservation, and make it one night shorter. Cancel TWO WDW park days off her tickets, spend one night onsite at US, and TWO days exploring US.

Last edited:
If you love Harry Potter stuff, I highly recommend it. Even if you don't want to ride the thrill rides there, go through the lines to see all of the cool stuff inside gringotts and forbidden journey....they are an attraction in and of themselves (As much as I hate to say it...it is Disney quality good in my opinion.) Then if you don't want to ride, just tell an attendant you changed your mind. They should let you right out. There is so much to see, we spent an entire day devoted to harry potter stuff only.

I find it funny that every is talking about a day at US as "taking away a day at WDW." I can't see her choice in those terms.

Isn't OP choosing how he WANTS to spend her time? Isn't she CHOOSING the most appealing option?

Wouldn't she be ADDING an ADDITIONAL experience to his vacation? If she decides to spend her entire vacation in ONE place, isn't that the option with LESS variety? Mind, WDW has enough entertainment to keep folks busy for a full week.

Exactly why I (so not every) suggested going back to WDW for about $10 ea that evening, adding an additional evening to the vacation after US closes.

My son is now pretty much done with Disney (he's 9). He LOVES Universal -- but he also loves thrill rides and superheroes along with Harry Potter. We're going on a Universal trip next year and doing a one-day Disney Ultimate Thrill VIP tour to do all the thrill rides there. Anyway, if I could choose, I'd let the boys stay at Disney and then make a special Universal trip. It'd probably end up being cheaper!

Are you sure your sons wouldn't like Forbidden Journey or Gringotts? I am not a thrill ride person by any means but enjoyed Forbidden Journey and going through the castle was amazing. I didn't go through the line at the Dragon Challenge but dd said it was very cool as was Gringotts.

Would I spend $750 for one day? Hmmmmmm. . . not sure. But I can tell you this: We will never do another WDW trip without adding Universal. I can't imagine being "done by 1". Like I said, I don't do roller coasters or thrill rides and I found PLENTY to do and to enjoy while dh and dd rode to their hearts content. There is so much in Diagon Alley and in Hogsmeade to look at and experience. DD and I spent one evening just exploring every nook and crany of Diagon Alley--my favorite part of the whole trip. Another afternoon we spent our time watching all the shows--that was a lot of fun too.

I thought we would really only like the HP sections too. I could not have been more wrong. Universal is a pretty amazing place.

Reactions: CJN
I know this is off topic a little - but we just came back on Sunday. We did one day off from Disney - rented a car from disney car care center and went to legoland. Yeah it was ok but thinking back I wished we didn't do it. It wasted a whole day and had to take a shuttle to get the car then drive to legoland which no way compares to disney then drive back return the car take the shuttle back...took so much time. (And money for the car and money for the park tickets) I'd much rather just not have to leave disney property. You're always wanting more disney time anyway.....

We usually go to Universal for a day but only because we go for 2 weeks (we live in WA state- way to far for a short trip). It is really expensive and if you don't want to ride thrill rides it isn't really worth it. Plus the fact you can't get on the 2 best rides in HP. I definitely wouldn't spend that kind of cash for that and I wouldn't waste a day in a trip as short as yours. I also feel US can be done in in less than a day as some others have said. We are usually just completely over it by the end of the day and want to leave early. I felt like I was so over 4D attractions too- just way too many of them there. If you get motion sick prepare to take some meclizine before going or you will regret it (NO Dramamine if you want to stay awake). We usually take these anyhow every morning because we all start to feel it after a few days of rides. All this being said- HP is definitely worth the trip to the park as it is amazing but I wouldn't do it with your little time and people not wanting to try all the rides there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter