So really.. how much $$ do you take?

Scottiesmommy08

Mouseketeer
We are a family of 3 going on a 4 nighter next month. We have the Stingray port adventure booked so we know we are looking at about $130 there and around $150 for tips. Santa is supplying GCs for individual souvenir purchases for the little one. Including tips for room service and others and anything else I may be forgetting (please elaborate) what is a safe amount to bring? :confused3

Thanks in advance.

My husband estimated about $500 just to make sure you aren't left out in the cold.

maybe I don't understand. are you not having a cc bound to your storeroom acct for expenses? I doubt I will need much cash at all for the seven night cruise the wife and I will be embarking on.

I mean well probably have 600+ in cash but I doubt most of it will be spent. all tips onboard will be billed to acct (including spa tips, drink tips, etc.). only need cash for tips on land and souvenirs on land.

Posted from DISboards.com App for Android

Other possible extras are photos, nursery fees (if your little one is less than 3), adult dining (Palo or Remy), spa treatments or Bippity Boppity Boutique. Of course, these are things that are optional.

Also realize that any beverage from any bar (with or without alcohol, ie. soda from a can) and movie theater snacks will be a charged.

Also if you plan on booking another trip, you will need to put down a down payment (10%) as well.

we usually have ~$300 cash on hand on any given cruise. we will usually have prepaid into our tips, maybe a small onboard credit. we charge it all onboard to our account and on to american express. honestly, even though we usually toss a few $20s towards tips in addition to our prepay, we usually leave with cash in our pockets. HTH!

We normally take $1,000 in cash, $500 in Travelers Checks, and end up charging about $1,000 to our credit card for 4 people on a 7 day.
All our excursions and alcohol are put on the credit card, all tips in cash.

But we also are flying cross country, and usually have 3 meals going and 3 meals returning in airports.

So, just so I am understanding correctly.. We can attach our debit card to our account with say at least $400 on it and then $100 cash plus minor amounts on GCs we should be fine?

So, just so I am understanding correctly.. We can attach our debit card to our account with say at least $400 on it and then $100 cash plus minor amounts on GCs we should be fine?
We bring some cash, but rarely use it. It's much more convenient for us to put everything on our account and pay for it with our credit card. (We don't use debit cards.)
Even though we use very little cash I would not be comfortable with just $100. I feel more comfortable knowing we have cash if we need it.

I never carry more than $200 in cash on me. In 5 Disney Cruises I have never run out if cash and usually go home with at least $100.

Almost everything onboard goes against my onboard account and most of the cash is spent on small items an tips in port.

We have spent 500 on a 4 night dream ... It mostly depends how much as I tell my wife junk do u want to bring home... She spent 200 In just pictures....

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

You are going to want to attach a credit card to your onboard account, not a debit card. With a debit card, you could run into issues due to the holds placed on it.

On the ship, the only actual cash you need is small bills for room service tips. Everything else can be charged to your onboard account. You can either put some cash down on your inboard account or put a credit card or debit card on it.

If you choose to, you don't have to spend anything on your onboard account except tips. It's not hard to not spend anything. I charged only a spa treatment and a trip to the gift shop.

You may want cash to spend on your travels to and from the port and on the excursions.

Instead of putting your debit card down, you can make it a cash account. I think they'll let you charge $300 before you have to go and pay it down. We went on a 3 night, and if I would have stayed away from Bingo we'd have spent last than $100.

We are a family of 3 going on a 4 nighter next month. We have the Stingray port adventure booked so we know we are looking at about $130 there and around $150 for tips. Santa is supplying GCs for individual souvenir purchases for the little one. Including tips for room service and others and anything else I may be forgetting (please elaborate) what is a safe amount to bring? :confused3

Thanks in advance.

For us, we can spend under $100 on a 7 night cruise. We prepay our tips.

-We don't drink.

-We don't do excursions while on a cruise. We do them on our land vacations. We just like to relax when we sail.

-We don't purchase the over priced photo's.

-We travel so often that we don't pick up a lot of souvenirs. It all tends to be the "Same crap/different island" scenario.

We do spend $ on room service tips , the odd specialty coffee , and the majority of it is spend by our son on the extra things he wants to do. Maybe a game or 2 of Bingo.

Mind you some cruises I do splurge and buy a piece of Jewellery if it catches my eye. But for that it just gets charged to my credit card.

I've asked similar questions and the replies always vary wildly. There is always the predictable "it's a cashless system, why do you need any cash?" and there is always the "we bring $1500 dollars and a stack of travelers checks."

I plan on bringing a couple hundred bucks. I did read that guest services will cash a personal check up to $100 and they offer foreign currency exchange. So if you get money from a local ATM I believe you could exchange it for dollars

http://disneycruise.disney.go.com/ships-activities/ships/services/guest-services/

Instead of putting your debit card down, you can make it a cash account. I think they'll let you charge $300 before you have to go and pay it down. We went on a 3 night, and if I would have stayed away from Bingo we'd have spent last than $100.
This is great to know, I plan on doing this and using gift cards too! Thanks for the info ;-)

On our recent 7 night cruise we brought $200 in cash and brought home about $50. The money spent went to tips (room service and excursion related) and for little souvenirs in port. The money we spent on board (not much beyond tips) was all put on a credit card.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter