So Proud of my Community

septbride2002

"TO MILE 9!!!"
Grocer May Get Second Chance

By Victor Ojeda

A small grocery store in O'Fallon, Missouri is getting an amazing amount of support and pleas to stay open.

And that may just happen. A rally was held outside Dave's on the Boardwalk in the Winghaven Community on Sunday. The store was scheduled to close for good because its owner cited financial difficulties. But residents are pleading with him and the building landlord to give the store a second chance.

Dave's on the Boardwalk opened two years ago in the brand new community. In that time it has become a St. Charles grocery institution. "We don't do any shopping anywhere else," customer Jennifer Robinson said. But when owner Dave Gabris, put up a sign in the front door Saturday that h was closing for good, it was quite a shock to everyone. Not that he wants to close, but his landlord is forcing him to. Dave's wildly popular store is also wildly in debt. "They called him on his note. They are asking for back rent, interest and penalties," customer and friend Carie Finke said.

Gabris has been stocking shelves since he was 15. Owning a store was a lifelong dream, but now that he's being forced to close, customers are rallying around him to keep that dream alive. "We're trying to organize a rally and raise money so he doesn't close," Finke said.

The support -- both financial and emotional -- got to Gabris. "It is the people. They are more overwhelming than anything," he said. And some of those customers have a little influence. O'Fallon Alderman Pete Cantwell and Dardene Creek Mayor Pam Fogarty went into action once they heard about Dave's dilemma. Within 90 minutes they got Dave's on the Boardwalk a second chance. "There's some financial aspects and other aspects we're working on right now, and Dave agreed to close for a week while we work on restructuring with creditors and debtors and landlords," Cantwell said. "Maybe we can find out what the needs are and do something. It's not over until its over," Fogarty said. And Gabris said he's got a few more years of stocking shelves left in him. "Absolutely. I love this business. I always have," he said.

http://wb11tv.trb.com/news/kplr-news-101605-1,0,1511360.story?coll=kplr-news-1
We didn't go to the Rally but we did go up to the store and make a donation. This little local grocer is a small gem in our community and I am so happy that we all pulled together to help save it. So many of our locally owned resturants, shops, etc have been closing recently due to hard economic times.

~Amanda

Thats heartwarming. Hope Dave stays open!

We hope so as well! They were up at the coffee shop this morning with my friends. They said that they are hoping to reopen next Monday but right now it is up to the mean evil landlord.

~Amanda

Amanda, we are alot closer than anyone would have thought. I am 5 minutes from Dave's! I hope the store makes it. I saw the story on the news last night. It is such a small world isn't it? Were you the one posting about the Cards? I think they can do this!! I am keeping the faith. Anyway, it is nice to "meet" you neighbor!
Tammy

septbride2002 said:
We hope so as well! They were up at the coffee shop this morning with my friends. They said that they are hoping to reopen next Monday but right now it is up to the mean evil landlord.

~Amanda

Why is he evil?

Charade said:
Why is he evil?

Well Rich summed it up. But there is a whole lot to the story that would be way to complicated to post here. Lets just sum it up as price gouging. Not to mention an inability to communicate. And also, not caring about the community but rather fat pocketbooks.

~Amanda

mickey fan said:
Amanda, we are alot closer than anyone would have thought. I am 5 minutes from Dave's! I hope the store makes it. I saw the story on the news last night. It is such a small world isn't it? Were you the one posting about the Cards? I think they can do this!! I am keeping the faith. Anyway, it is nice to "meet" you neighbor!
Tammy

Okay well now we have to have a meet! LOL! Do you live in Winghaven? We live off Feise Road.

~Amanda

That is so funny! We live off of Bryan Rd. Do you have kids? Are you in Wentzville or Fort Zumwalt district?

That is a GREAT little grocery store. They have a big selection for the size store! My Dad and Step-Mom live in O'Fallon so I have been to that store a few times. I like that coffee shop in that other strip mall by the school there too. We are heading to O'Fallon this Thursday. Maybe we will see you at the coffee shop! We were there last summer when the local paper did a story on the coffee shop, were you there then?

No I wasn't. I'm trying to think of what coffee shop you are talking about. If it was the Coffee Beanery then it is closed now :(

I believe, Mickeyfan, we are in the For Zumwalt school district but I don't have any children so I'm not 100% positive about that.

~Amanda

Amanda-- thanks for the story. I didn't hear any of that on the news. I love the Boardwalk.... oh I can taste Shamus' fries and a Rueben sandwich.

BTW... I haven't been on the DIS lately how ya doin :wave2:

r3ngels said:
Amanda-- thanks for the story. I didn't hear any of that on the news. I love the Boardwalk.... oh I can taste Shamus' fries and a Rueben sandwich.

BTW... I haven't been on the DIS lately how ya doin :wave2:

Been doing okay - thanks for asking. Have you guys sold your house yet?

~Amanda

septbride2002 said:
No I wasn't. I'm trying to think of what coffee shop you are talking about. If it was the Coffee Beanery then it is closed now :(

I believe, Mickeyfan, we are in the For Zumwalt school district but I don't have any children so I'm not 100% positive about that.

~Amanda

Ok, let me see if I can give you "directions" to the one I was talking about-on the same road that the Catholic church is on, down the road kind of by a big gas station and there is an elementary, I think, school that kind of shares a driveway to this strip mall. I can't remember which road it is on but not far from Bryant, I think. We were there the week of the 4th of July and it was open then. It isn't in Winghaven but right outside the development.

golfgal said:
Ok, let me see if I can give you "directions" to the one I was talking about-on the same road that the Catholic church is on, down the road kind of by a big gas station and there is an elementary, I think, school that kind of shares a driveway to this strip mall. I can't remember which road it is on but not far from Bryant, I think. We were there the week of the 4th of July and it was open then. It isn't in Winghaven but right outside the development.

Okay - I think I know which one you are talking about but the name escapes me. It has good lunches and coffee. we just tried a new place Chocolate Cafe - they're flavored coffees are so good they should be illegal.
~Amanda

mickey fan said:
Must go look up the name of that coffee shop-it will drive me crazy. Be back in a minute!

Coffee I need Coffee... has anyone tried Ally's on hwy N near St. Joe's?

Choc Cafe sounds great-- Choc and Coffee my 2 addictions.

septbride2002 said:
Been doing okay - thanks for asking. Have you guys sold your house yet?

~Amanda

Yes, we closed on Friday... we are renting it back from the guy until our house is built. They broke ground today so they say about 5-6 months :confused3 hopefully closer to 5... but that is why I have been off the DIS lately selling and building is a full time job. (I said that funny like DISing is my other job) :earboy2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter