• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

So PLEASE be honest, how is the FOOD at Chef Mickey's?

I heard sometimes that you have to sacrifice the food for a character meal. So what are some of your opinions? Also, how are the character interactions different given covid restrictions?

Thanks!!

I went preCovid and wasn't impressed. Kids rummaging at the buffet and flies near the windowsill where we sat. Went for breakfast. Food was average.

I heard sometimes that you have to sacrifice the food for a character meal.
I think this is true, but you don't need to sacrifice that much;) It's a perfect storm of mediocre (at best) food, high prices, and disappointing character interactions (due in part to covid.) Try Tusker House at Animal Kingdom. The food is actually good, the atmosphere is kinda cool, and the characters have been known to put on some little skits.

Went for breakfast when they were serving family style due to Covid. Actually wasn't bad and quite enjoyable. Buffet not so much, wish they would have stayed with family style. It's definately a go for characters and not food restaurant.

From all the video reviews I have seen, the family style meal they are currently serving has been a vast improvement, and has gotten all positive reviews

I haven’t been since covid, but I didn’t think the breakfast was too terrible. Definitely edible and the characters were fun. We were staying at the contemporary and going to magic kingdom that day so it fit the schedule perfectly. I had read about the bad reviews and figured the hardest to screw up would be breakfast so we settled on that meal

I HATED the food at CM pre-covid… went post-Covid when serving the Family Style breakfast and we thought it was excellent! Everything was hot, refills were quick and waiter/waitress team was great!! Cape May Cafe family style breakfast was also great (but no characters yet.)

Went 3 times (once for breakfast, twice for dinner) before covid and never had a bad meal. The food was good, the food was the right temperature, the buffet area was clean and the characters were fun. It wasn’t a gourmet meal and not worth the price ($150-200ish for a family of 4) but we left full and happy.

I heard sometimes that you have to sacrifice the food for a character meal. So what are some of your opinions? Also, how are the character interactions different given covid restrictions?

Thanks!!
The reviews of the food pre-Covid weren't very good. Post Covid the reviews have been much better. I'd still recommend Tusker House for the best food with characters restaurant.

We enjoyed breakfast quite a bit. I haven't done dinner so I can't speak to that. We've only been since the reopening, but most people say they are better now as family style.

It's been a number of years since Chef Mickey's and the breakfast buffet. But it was a one and done for us. Food not good.

These character buffets are all about the character's, that is what you are paying for. The food is not great, though I must say it was improved at Hollywood and Vine post COVID. I will be trying Ohana's for breakfast during my next trip, sans characters. Boma is always good but has no characters.

You didn't say WHICH character meal.... In general, character meals, buffet or family style, are designed to serve items that can keep coming out of the kitchen to serve a large number of people. In general, all the food is at least average, and there have been some particular dishes I've really liked at some of them.

Take scrambled eggs as an example - if you are the first person dishing out from a fresh, full buffet serving pan - those are going to be better than the person who scrapes the last pieces out 15 minutes later. Take family style served bacon - do you love your bacon extra crispy or just done? Your opinion of the bacon is going to depend on what comes out of the kitchen that day. (I think Disney hits a happy middle on the doneness of bacon, btw.)

I can't speak to the character interaction right now - but if getting a chance to see all characters and having a chance to get good pictures of them without dealing with searching them down in the parks is appealing, then I recommend them.

Is it going to be an AWESOME food, best food ever across the board experience? Unlikely. But things will be appropriately prepared, there will be plenty of it, some things will be better than you might expect, some things average, and depending on your tastes, you might not like something.

There's not much food at Disney that is REALLY, REALLY awesome. Some. But most of their menus/choices are designed to appeal to a wide audience - so a lot it ends up middle of the road. A few of the signatures are "better food" - but still tend to be overpriced compared to most city restaurant markets.

While it will be a while before I head back to WDW, a character meal is frequently on my list - for the joy of meeting the characters - and the AYCTE experience.

OH WAIT - you said Chef Mickey's...... Only been there once - and not post-Covid. Pre-Covid - I was there at a late breakfast time. First trip up to the buffet - it was messy and kids were out of control. 15 minutes later - I went back because a few things had been empty. This trip it had been all cleaned up, bins refreshed, no lines, and it felt like your average breakfast buffet. It was my least favorite FOOD experience at a buffet - but that's because the menu is super extra boring at that one. Nothing unique - probably because it appeals to lots of families with young kids and they don't need interesting food choices. I did have AWESOME character experiences that day, though, and a fabulous waitress. If you haven't experienced the CR atrium - I think that makes this a fun place to have a character meal.

Now - the CR is under renovation, characters are distanced, and food different all right now --- so..... This probably isn't one I'd go to right now unless planning dictated this is the one that fit in best.

Last edited:
I went in January and will say chef mickeys breakfast family style was much better then it had been when we did as buffet. That said, I still consider topolinos breakfast a better option. Tusker house is also a good option and is one of my favorite character meals but I’ve heard not great things about it post covid reopening as family style (no personal experience). Garden grill is another character meal breakfast I like but believe it’s still not offered with the current epcot hours.

We went for dinner last night and really enjoyed it....the food and the experience. This was our first time back since 2009 when the buffet didn't make a good impression on us AT ALL. We wanted to try their family style offerings before it eventually reverts back to the original format.

The food was much better than we expected! The turkey was fantastic and the 2nd plate of prime rib was perfect (the first serving was overdone). We asked our server for no shrimp salad and no salmon (since we don't eat either) and she was happy to leave those out.

Here are some pics of the food:

Character interaction ess definitely different. The tables are all around the outside of the room with nothing in the center. They go from table to table, maintaining a 6 foot distance, posing for pictures, blowing kisses, and interacting with guests. Then they come do a dance every now and again to a little song. It was plenty for us adults and I liked the unobtrusiveness of it, but if you've got a kid who is a hugger than this will be hard for them.

We were given autograph cards at the end of the night, which I thought was a nice touch.

Attachments

• 20210909_201209.jpg
    20210909_201209.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 2
We went for dinner last night and really enjoyed it....the food and the experience. This was our first time back since 2009 when the buffet didn't make a good impression on us AT ALL. We wanted to try their family style offerings before it eventually reverts back to the original format.

The food was much better than we expected! The turkey was fantastic and the 2nd plate of prime rib was perfect (the first serving was overdone). We asked our server for no shrimp salad and no salmon (since we don't eat either) and she was happy to leave those out.

Here are some pics of the food:

View attachment 603691

View attachment 603693

View attachment 603694

View attachment 603695

View attachment 603696

View attachment 603697

Character interaction ess definitely different. The tables are all around the outside of the room with nothing in the center. They go from table to table, maintaining a 6 foot distance, posing for pictures, blowing kisses, and interacting with guests. Then they come do a dance every now and again to a little song. It was plenty for us adults and I liked the unobtrusiveness of it, but if you've got a kid who is a hugger than this will be hard for them.

We were given autograph cards at the end of the night, which I thought was a nice touch.

View attachment 603698
Nice update with good pictures.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter