So Overwhelmed

heater

Earning My Ears
I have never planned a disney trip and the last time I went was probably 15 years ago. I have no idea what I am doing and feeling overwhelmed by everything I see on the forum.

Please help me out. We have a family of 7 going (2 adults 5 kids, ages, 11,9,7,4 and 4). I have NO idea where to start!

Help me feel less overwhelmed. I read that park hopping is the best. I want to know about the Fast Pass and how/where you get them. We need to make the most of this trip because we probably won't be back for awhile.

Thanks so much

Let's begin with the major questions that come up in the English language: Who, What, When, Where, Why and How?

Who? Well that's been figured out already so you're already doing well!! :thumbsup2

What? What are you going to be doing?? Are you going to do just DLR, or are you going to explore what else California has to offer??

When? When do you plan on visiting?? This could be impacted by the weather, crowds, events are the parks, etc. But in general, anytime is a great time to visit Walt's land!!

Where? Well...DLR of course, but what hotel?? Off site or onsite?? Harbor or Katella?? :laughing: There are lots of great options :)

Why? Who needs a reason why?!?! :rotfl:

How? How do you plan on getting there?? Flying, driving...train?? :confused3 That depends on how far you are and how much time you're willing to spend on the traveling portion of your trip.

And most off, don't get overwhelmed!! Tackle one objective at a time rather than ten. It might just even fall into place :wizard:

Have a great time planning!!! :cheer2:

Disney trip planning will be fun not overwhelming hopefully :thumbsup2

The disneyland website is really helpful to start with - you can explore the parks and attractions, using filtering options to show those with fastpass options, age appropriateness, location etc.

Fastpasses are great - you collect a ticket for an hour window return time, and once that window of time opens you can ride the attraction after bypassing the majority of the queue. It saves alot of time at peak waits. The best tip for that is, once the window is opened, you can actually use the pass at any time for the rest of the day - not only the hour listed on the fastpass. ;)

If you want to PM me your email address i have a great document i bought on ebay a couple of years ago that would make good basic reading - it covers everything about the parks!

I have never planned a disney trip and the last time I went was probably 15 years ago. I have no idea what I am doing and feeling overwhelmed by everything I see on the forum.

Please help me out. We have a family of 7 going (2 adults 5 kids, ages, 11,9,7,4 and 4). I have NO idea where to start!

Help me feel less overwhelmed. I read that park hopping is the best. I want to know about the Fast Pass and how/where you get them. We need to make the most of this trip because we probably won't be back for awhile.

Thanks so much

Best thing to do to get started is to take a look at the stickies at the top of the page. Hydroguy's tips particularly are an amazing wealth of information. Follow this link: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1520483

Yes, you will want to parkhop. The entrance gates are directly across from each other, so parkhopping is very simple. Yes, you want to learn about fastpass because it will help shorten the wait for some of the big rides that typically have longer waits. You may also want to learn about rider switch which enables one parent to wait with children who can't/won't go on a certain ride while the other parent rides with some of the other kids, and then the waiting parent can get a turn to ride without having to wait a second time in line. With kids the ages of your children, I expect you'll be spending some serious time in Fantasyland. That should be your first destination on one or more mornings of your trip.

When is your trip? What kind of temperaments are your kids? Will they be tentative, daredevilish, or somewhere in between? Flying or driving? Do a little reading, then tell us a little more about yourselves, and then fire away with more specific questions. You'll probably find the people on this board to be pretty friendly and helpful.

How exciting for you and your family! A trip to DLR! Your kids will love it, regardless of what they see and do. :yay:

Fast pass machines are located near the entrances of the attractions they are for. For example, the fast pass machines for Indiana Jones are across the walkway, near Jungle Cruise. There's a sign hanging above the area, but it might be a little difficult to find if you're not sure what you're looking for. If you're lost, just ask as CM to show you the way. You need ALL of your family's park admission tickets to get fast passes for everyone in your party (in other words, you need one fast pass per person when you join the fast pass line for any attraction that uses them). You feed your park admission tickets into the machine, one at a time. The machine takes a second to read the ticket, then pops it back out. Beneath it, your fast pass will come out, too. It's really not a big deal. I have yet to figure out why more people don't use the system. :confused3 Your return time is printed on the fast passes. Put them in a safe place, and go enjoy other rides and attractions until your return time rolls around. You can use them at any time after the printed time.

The fast passes for World of Color in DCA are near Grizzly River Run (the water rafting ride). Look for the giant, carved bears. :thumbsup2

Have a wonderful time planning your trip! :wizard:

Welcome to the Disboards! :yay: Try not to get overwhelmed! :goodvibes Pick one area to start with like maybe hotels and just look at info about that. When you get that figured out then you can move onto another topic.

Another strategy would be to just start looking at the threads on the first page and read the ones that sound interesting to you. Come back every day and keep reading. Don't worry about having it all figured out or writing it down, just read the threads and eventually you'll start to see a lot of the same info so you'll learn it by reading it over and over.

There's a thread somewhere about the basics of FPs. Maybe someone else can chime in with the link. I'm not sure where it is. Maybe it's up in the stickies at the top of the page?

Good luck and feel free to ask more questions when you have them. :)

By the way, there are usually cast members standing by at the fast pass machines, in case you need assistance. Nothing to worry about! ;)

By the way, there are usually cast members standing by at the fast pass machines, in case you need assistance. Nothing to worry about! ;)

Thanks so much

take a deep breath. you are apart of a great group of people who can help you plan and walk you through the hard parts! :wizard:

(((BIG HUGS)))
I would humbly suggest to find out what characters your children would love to meet, what rides they really want to go on, and then plan your vacation to accomplish one or two rides on that list a day. Remember,you are going to DISNEYLAND!!! It's the happiest place on earth! I will also suggest to try to take a nap, or rest time, especially for the 4 year old twins, (mom to soon to turn 9, triplets) this will help keep everyone happy! There is a great thread somewhere here on the boards that suggest what items you really should bring, that includes mole skin, sun block, etc. Hopefully, one of these awesome people here will know what thread I am talking about and link it. :rolleyes1 If you are driving from TX, have the kids watch Disney movies or drive as much when they are asleep! The drive on I-10 from AZ to DL is boring! LOL:rotfl2:
Anyhoo, grab a cup of your favorite drink, relax, and enjoy reading through all the cool things about DL while you plan a great trip. I must caution you, there is a high probability you will be hit with the snowball effect!:rotfl2:
Yeah for you and yours, you are going to DISNEYLAND!!!:yay::yay::yay:

*hugs* welcome an you came to the right place.

one, are you going to want to do any charcter meals? I think its fun an can make or brake a trip
two what kind of budget are you guys on.
Like I know I can never spend more then 2000 but thats just me. I know some ppl have less some have more.

Do you want to do any special shows.?
F,woc,any tours.?
are you wanting to go in sumer? christmas time? halloween time?

You guys are all so kind!

To answer some of your questions.

* We are going the first full week of August (I know not a great time but it's the only time hubby could get off)

* We are driving from AZ

* Wondering about onsite or offsite. Thinking onsite would be easier with the 4 year olds. But do they cost a lot more?

*We are wanting to do parks for 3 or 4 days. Both DR and DCA and probably the beach

*Our budget - we aren't sure yet. I need to look at prices and see how much tickets are. For our family of 7 it might cost more for most people.

*Is there a place to get discount tickets?

*Character meals? That one hasn't been discussed either.

* How late is disney open? The calendar doesn't go all the way to August yet.

Thanks so much!

* We are going the first full week of August (I know not a great time but it's the only time hubby could get off)

Actually it's a great time to go. Long hours, AP black outs, Full entertainment schedule. Yes it is crowded, but the fast pass system and the tips on this board, make it very pleasant. I went last year in August and it was one of our best trips.

* Wondering about onsite or offsite. Thinking onsite would be easier with the 4 year olds. But do they cost a lot more?

There are many choices off site on Harbor that cost less and actually take less walking time then most of the onsite hotels. Some that people really like are Best Western Park Place Inn, Park Vue, Desert Inn and Suites, and the Howard Johnson Anaheim. The HOJO is just a tad farther walk, but it has a great kids play pool area with slides and such.

*We are wanting to do parks for 3 or 4 days. Both DR and DCA and probably the beach

In August, I would try for 4 days. It will be busy and with 4 days you won't feel as rushed and can really enjoy the parks. Ideal is 5 during busy time, but 4 is ok too.

*Is there a place to buy discount tickets?

Both Last Minute Travel and Get Away Today have discount tickets. Usually only a couple of dollars a ticket, but it can add up with 7 people. Also watch for a summer sale, last year they had the by 3 get 5 days deal

In the past it has been open from 8am until midnight since August is still summer in DL

Actually it's a great time to go. Long hours, AP black outs, Full entertainment schedule. Yes it is crowded, but the fast pass system and the tips on this board, make it very pleasant. I went last year in August and it was one of our best trips.
I second that first week of August is a great time to go to DLR. It really depends on your priorities. It has downsides. But many upsides too.

See this thread for more info: "Getting The Most Out of a Summer Visit To DLR" www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1345319

As for historical hours see "Historical DLR Park Hours, Entertainment and Refurbs" - www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2291124

* We are driving from AZ

*Our budget - we aren't sure yet. I need to look at prices and see how much tickets are. For our family of 7 it might cost more for most people.

Thanks so much!

Yeah it will be summer so busy. But hours will be long. DL 8-12 and DCA might expand hours this summer or open and close an hour after and before DL.

You will save a lot of money staying offsite. While standard rates on Harbor may be $100-150 they will be twice as much onsite. The GCH is closest all most all of the hotels across from the parks on Harbor are closer than the DLH and PPH. That's a lot of people so you will be looking at two rooms or suites. Lots of option for suites offsite.

If you want a character meal you might want to look at a Costco package.

For tickets probably getaway today. I'd wait until summer specials are out before buying tickets.

* We are driving from AZ

Thanks so much!

We have gone the first full week of August several times in the past since that's the week of my younger DS's birthday. It is a great time to go. It can be hot, but since you're from Arizona I'm figuring you're used to that.

With so many people, I think you should really be looking at offsite hotels. There are many within easy walking distance though. I expect you will need two rooms or a suite.

You can look at some of the packages available, but I often find that the price is better or the same if I book everything separately. I would book a hotel as soon as possible as long you don't commit to a non-refundable type deal unless you're really, really sure about your hotel choice and dates. Tickets I would wait on just in case there is any price break.

I would definitely suggest four days. There is so much to see and do at both parks. Four days will give you more opportunities for nighttime entertainment. Also, you won't begrudge the afternoon rest breaks that may feel pretty necessary after being out in the heat and crowds. Taking that afternoon break really improves the quality of our park time and vacation experience as a whole.

Character meals can be fun, but honestly, you will have opportunities to see many of the characters in the parks, and you can easily feed your family twice for what one character meal will cost. If characters are important to you and you want to splurge on something extra special, then it's a fun activity, but if it's going to strain the budget, I'd say to skip it and not sweat it.

Last summer, Disneyland was open 8 AM - midnight most days, and DCA was open either 10 AM - 10 PM or 10 AM - 11 PM. It will be interesting to see if they expand that even more this year.

You guys have been so helpful! Thank you so much for all your opinions and ideas! Now I am getting excited! :cool1:

If you like structure, I would recommend RideMax. I love it. I schedule my day with it. I hate standing around going, what do you want to do? I don't know, what do you want to do? Ugh, such a pain. So with a schedule, you can figure out before hand what to do.. I just ask everyone what rides and attractions they want to do and plug it in... That way everyone is coverd. Some people are just go with the flow type of people and that is fine, and they dont' use Ridemax....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter