So my DH goes up to this kid at Wal-Mart....

DizBelle

DIS Veteran
My DH went to Wal-Mart the other evening. As he is approaching the store, he sees this kid (age 17 or so) smoking outside the store. He goes up to the kid and says "Do you really think that is a good idea?" The kid looks at him confused and says "Huh?" DH says, "Well, smoking itself may not be a good idea but do you really think you should be doing it here?" The kid is still looking confused. DH points behind the kid to the SHELVES OF A FEW DOZEN PROPANE TANKS and the NO SMOKING sign. This kid was smoking while leaning against the propane tanks.

Wow. Just Wow.

I think this would have been a case of Darwin's natural selection if the kid went poof. :sad2: What a way to lose a Walmart though.

It isn't just kids that are that dumb. I saw a man in his fifties? doing the exact same thing.

The odds of one of the propane tanks having a leak, the propance not having already all leaked out, and there being the perfect gas/air mix in the exact location of the cigarette to cause cumbustion is unbelievably small. There is a much greater chance that the lightpole in WalMart's parking lot falls on you while you are smoking.

The odds of one of the propane tanks having a leak, the propance not having already all leaked out, and there being the perfect gas/air mix in the exact location of the cigarette to cause cumbustion is unbelievably small. There is a much greater chance that the lightpole in WalMart's parking lot falls on you while you are smoking.

No matter how low the odds are they become even lower if there is no idiot smoking.

ford family

aww come on. don't spoil our fun!
it was still stupid!!

No matter how low the odds are they become even lower if there is no idiot smoking.

ford family
In that case, we should just ban the sale of propane. The odds would go all the way to zero.

...Maybe the chances are smaller if I run into the pole

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__1Ym_F94CE

August 10, 2008 Toronto- Someone was doing a truck to truck transfer of propane because, you know, the odds of there being a spark and the perfect gas/air mix for combustion never mind a huge explosion and a giant mushroom cloud were unbeleivably small.

When you're around propane or any other fuel you're careful or you're stupid. Luckily the death toll of this little accident was only two, but I'm sure all the houses and businesses would have preferred they follow protocol (even with the chances being so slim and all) so they didn't have to be evacuated for a week and replace all the glass in their windows, not to mention the victims :sad2:.

I saw a teen girl pull up to a gas pump, get out with a cigarette. then grab the nozzle of the hose with the hand that is holdinng the lit cigarette! Not the handle part, she was switching hands and grabbed it all the way at the tip! Where all the fumes are!

one: who touches that dirty part? the handle part stinks like gas bad enough...

and two: THAT IS WHERE THE GAS IS!!! and the GAS FUMES!!!

Mikeeee

I saw a teen girl pull up to a gas pump, get out with a cigarette. then grab the nozzle of the hose with the hand that is holdinng the lit cigarette! Not the handle part, she was switching hands and grabbed it all the way at the tip! Where all the fumes are!

Mikeeee

:scared1::scared1::scared1:

How fast did you start running???

Mikeeee

Run Away! Run Away!:scared:

...Maybe the chances are smaller if I run into the pole

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__1Ym_F94CE

August 10, 2008 Toronto- Someone was doing a truck to truck transfer of propane because, you know, the odds of there being a spark and the perfect gas/air mix for combustion never mind a huge explosion and a giant mushroom cloud were unbeleivably small.

When you're around propane or any other fuel you're careful or you're stupid. Luckily the death toll of this little accident was only two, but I'm sure all the houses and businesses would have preferred they follow protocol (even with the chances being so slim and all) so they didn't have to be evacuated for a week and replace all the glass in their windows, not to mention the victims :sad2:.
Please reread the post that you quoted. Obviously, if you completely change the circumstances, you can come up with VERY dangerous scenarios. Making these apples to oranges comparisons is not useful to the thread, however.

Mikeeee

It was just on the news the other day that a man caught on fire at a gas station. He was smoking while pumping gas. :sad2:

Please reread the post that you quoted. Obviously, if you completely change the circumstances, you can come up with VERY dangerous scenarios. Making these apples to oranges comparisons is not useful to the thread, however.

Unfortunately its Oranges and Oranges. You notice I didn't have to go off decades to find such an explosion or even switch fuel. Heck I even agreed with you it is slim odds! This particular company had been doing truck to truck transfers against regulations for 10 years. When the odds involve large explosions, its worth these pesky little precautions.

These people weren't even smoking or working with open flames at all they just took slightly fewer precautions when transferring the propane.

And hey yeah that was alot more propane! But I bet the 45 tanks in front of my Wal-Mart would do plenty of dammage, and could certainly kill more than the 2 people the big explosion did.

Smart people are careful around fuel, even if you don't like it.

I think this would have been a case of Darwin's natural selection if the kid went poof. :sad2: What a way to lose a Walmart though.

ROFLOL!

Compliments to the OP's DH for noticing that everyone's lives were at risk. I don't care how small the risk was - the sign was clear and the kid was pretty ignorant.

Really, it amazes me on a daily basis how completely numb some people are. I mean seriously, WHAT are these people thinking about that is taking up SO many of their brain cells that they don't have a couple to spare to tell him/her, "um, hello? That might be a bad idea..." I just don't get it, probably never will. :confused3

And just because something has a very small chance of happening doesn't make it perfectly okay to do the stupid deed. I think the main thing is, even if he was standing and smoking in front of a row of waterbottles that had a sign that says "NO SMOKING"... Ya know? :crazy: It's kinda like parking in a Fire Lane because there's no fire.

ARGH.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter