So Many Questions, Sorry!

Shmoo beat me to it....you're going to find a lot of the same people here and there, myself included. Most of my CC posts aren't in the DCL area, though.

At any rate, I've found the "ignore" feature quite handy on both boards. You have an ignore list, found under User CP/Settings and Options. Simply add the user name of anyone you find overly annoying and while you will see that they posted something, you won't see what it is.

Most of your questions have been answered and I have not been on either of the ships you are thinking about but I just wanted to add that if you don't want to lug a stroller with you on the plane you can actually borrow one on the ship. Just go to guest services after you board and they will set you up. (I learned that here before our cruise and was so happy because I was stressing about the stroller situation.)

10. Honestly, I would never link my child's keycard to my credit card. If they lost it, then it's a live credit card for anyone to use on the ship. I always had my kids with me, and took them to the onboard stores to pick out souveniers (I used my keycard for the purchases). You may be able to set a limit, but Guest Services would be able to help with that.

Actually, the child's age, name and I believe photo come up when they try and purchase something so it's not as open as you think.

Actually, the child's age, name and I believe photo come up when they try and purchase something so it's not as open as you think.

Yes, this is true with everyone--your photo pops up when you use the card, plus you have to tell them your room number (which is not printed on the card) so that gives an extra level of security.

I'll bet you could never guess who I am on CC! he he he

I usually just lurk here and hardly ever post. I'm sure you can't figure out who I am on the other boards either!

Just wanted to say that IMO the Magic would be perfect for a large group. It has all the entertainment of the larger ships and the more intimate feel of the Wonder. I can't wait to book it!

Welcome to a friendly forum! Well as long as you do to ask any questions involving good/bad parenting! Lol ;) it can get pretty dicey then! It seems most of your questions have been answered pretty thoroughly. But I wanted to explain about the four year olds and the ten and eleven year olds all being allowed in the same "space". The oceaneers club and lab connect so there is free movement between these two clubs, but the square footage is enormous! Especially for a cruise ship! Once checked in the children can explore and stay in the areas that attract them. That is how the club gets away with having such a wide age range in one space. It's really more like ten spaces that are interconnected anyway. The children naturally are attracted to others their same age for the most part don't interact as much as you might think. If you are dropping widely aged children off together and are a little worried about the little ones, you can always ask the older kids to check in on them every once in a while. Of course the older kids might just be having too much fun to remember. The best thing is that if the little one is ready to leave, all they have to do is ask a cast member and they will ring your wave phone and let you know. My husband and I went down there one day to spring our youngest free and he didn't want to come. So just be prepared to give the kids so e expectations when you drop them off, to forestall any whiny people. I hope you enjoy this forum. I really do!

I'm going to comment on #3. My in-laws ONLY like the smaller cruise ships. They agreed to go on the Fantasy, but I had to hear about how big it was going to be and all those people for over a year.

Well, it was the best cruise they have ever been on. They couldn't stop raving about it. I did however put them in concierge so they could have a little get away.

Thank you so much for all your responses! So, so helpful, and I think I have been convinced to cross HAL off my list. Sounds like maybe my husband and I can test it out if this cruise is a success, but doesn't sound ideal for kids.

Ok, narrowed down to 3!

Princess Shmoo, TwinPrincessMermaids and Dinkydee718, I'm pretty sure I can figure y'all out on the other board, and NO, none of you are the ones that I found nauseating!

So yesterday I was ready to give up on DCL altogether. I was on the DCL forum of a different website and was so appalled at how nasty some of the members were, it actually turned me off to DCL. People from other cruise lines actually convinced me to leave that DCL forum and join you guys here, with the promise that it is much more civil on this site! Hopefully, the crossover members between that site and this one aren't the obnoxious ones! As a gift for our upcoming 15th anniversary, my husband surprised me with a family reunion cruise! We will be cruising with lots of family, hopefully in November 2014. There will be 17 or 18 of us, depending on whether my brother brings his baby girl. Right now he is not planning on bringing her. That said, the ages and genders of the kids coming along will be, 4 (boy), 5 (girl), 8(boy), 9(boy), 10(girl), 10(boy), and 12 (girl). From what I am reading, it seems like Disney may actually be the best line for us. I hope it is okay that I have a ton of questions. Some of them may seem a little stupid, 1. Is it true that the 4 yr old will be able to go to the kids club with the 10 yr olds? That would be great for my 4 yr old, but wouldn't the 10yr olds be bored if they are stuck in the club with a bunch of 4 yr olds? How does Disney handle that? 2. I was told you can bring wine onboard. Can I bring alcohol too (Bacardi Limon)? My husband would be so excited if we can! 3. The only ship that wouldn't work for us is the Dream because we would want to go for at least 5 to 7 days. I am thinking about the Western Caribbean on the Magic or Wonder, or the Eastern Caribbean on the Fantasy. My parents have been on cruises before and I know they would prefer the smaller Wonder to the larger Fantasy. I know the Magic is the Wonder's sister ship that recently went through a reimagining. Did they make it larger? If not, that might be the best of both worlds. Smaller ship, but updated! 4. We will probably split up at times, but I would love to have one day where we could all go on an excursion together. Are there any you could recommend that would be suitable for kids and adults? 5. Are the shows enjoyable for grown-ups? They seem to be more geared for kids. 6. Not that this is a deal breaker, but are there late night snack options? 7. Are the balcony rooms safe for kids? I have images of my 4 year old sneaking out there and falling in the ocean. We need a balcony because my husband gets a little claustrophobic if he has no access to outside. Not debilitating or anything, but the last thing I want is for him to be stressed on a vacation! 8. Can you bring a stroller? My son doesn't typically use one, but it seems like a safer way to get through all those crowds. Also, if we are doing a lot of walking on the islands it may "speed things up!" 9. Can I put money in an onboard account before we go as a gift? 10. If I wanted my 12 year old to be able to buy things on my room, can I give her permission somehow? 11. I once read where a child went missing for a while from the kids area. I believe she was found IN the kids area, but her GPS bracelet had malfunctioned and they couldn't locate her. I assume this is very uncommon. Has anyone else had bad experiences with the kids club? That's all I can think of right now. thanks!

Honestly I don't think you will need a stroller on the ship! My kids are 2, 5, 6 and we brought one and never used it. With that said if you plan to do a lot of walking shore excursions bring it. It stores easily in your closet!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter