• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

So many questions!! Infant, Tickets, First time Trip, packing!

MNmama

Earning My Ears
This is our first trip to disney. We leave in 1 month and I am starting to panic at all the things we need to pack, bring, buy and get together. How do you manage the stress as well as what to do first? Is there a timeline of things to do???

I just had a baby a month ago ( second one), other dd is 4.5 and I am overwhelmed. AHHHH. I am excited to get away from it all though and head to florida stat!

So are there things you would say are must haves for an infant, us as parents, the 4 year old? Tips on packing so much? Do our park tickets get sent to us or do we pick them up somewhere? Do I call the hotel or a WDW agent to request that we have a pack n play and fridge ( we are at pop and need to pay for one)? So many things on my mind! This month is going to fly by!

Help! LOL I am so type A that just having a second baby is throwing me for a loop. I feel so unorganized and its not like me.

Are you driving or flying? That can affect your packing strategy.

Sure, go ahead and call to make sure it's noted on your reservation that you need the PnP and fridge. You can also check at checkin and if they don't have it already, they can probably arrange it soon after that.

I recommend some sort of baby wearing device like a sling.

I also recommend lots of extra outfits or just onesies to take to the parks, for those inevitable blowouts! Might want to take an extra shirt for yourself. ;)

I've never travelled to Disney with my child but we went on two trips when she was 4 and 6 months old that required flights. There was major poop in the airport every.single.time. Just sayin'. Be prepared!!!

I remember that overwhelmed feeling when I went from one to two kids all too well, LOL! Going from two to three was much easier. I think by then I had accepted the fact that my life was just going to be out of control for the next 18 years or so!:lmao:

As far as planning goes.... make lots of lists! It always helps me to write everything down because then I can dismiss that thought from my cluttered mommy brain. Make a clothing list for each person, make a list of health/beauty type stuff, make another list of baby stuff, etc. I also like to pack the kids clothes in ziploc bags - one outfit per ziploc including a diaper for the baby. This way, you can grab a bag for each kid in the morning and everything you need is all together to get them ready. Bring lots of wipes to the park with you each day! I always used a ton when my kids were younger! The travel size packs were never enough so I began putting wipes in a ziploc bag. Takes up less room and I refilled my ziploc from the big container in the room each night.

Good luck and have fun!

Wipes, snacks and an instant stain remover pen (Tide makes them) are 3 things I never went without when my kids were younger. Extra change of clothes were always a must, too. PP's idea of putting them in ziplock bags is good, that way you have a place to put wet clothes if accidents happen.

Your tickets should be waiting for you when you check in, they put them on your room keys (KTTW). POP does charge for fridge rental, so I would definitely call ASAP to get one. It might help if you mention you have a young baby and need to keep breast milk or formula cold.

If you're flying, I would suggest trying to pack a few diapers in each suitcase to avoid paying over the weight limit fees. Or maybe you could arrange for diaper delivery, the same way many people arrange for grocery delivery.

Good luck and have fun!

One of the best tips I learned on the Dis was with all the things I needed to bring for the little ones was to ship a box down to the resort ahead of time! Ship eveything that you don't need to bring home w/ you: diapers, travel sizes of everything, snacks, suntan lotions,disposible ponchos, cheap umbrella from the Dollar tree.

It makes life so much easier. I UPS it down a week ahead of me and it is waiting for me when I check in! I still do it and I don't have to worry about diapers or pull ups anymore!!:)

I stayed at Pop last April and fridge was complimentary as I had the baby and needed it for baby food and formula. I can't see them charging you for the fridge when you have a baby with you.

I adopted my DD from China when she was 8 months old so we began our life together living at hotels for the first 2 weeks. Many suggested putting each outfit (right down to little socks and even a diaper) in individual ziplock bags and it was wonderful! No need to try and find outfits and what goes together, just grab a baggie and to. Was also great for storing soiled clothing in.

Not sure if you're nursing. If not, a thermos you can fill with water for bottles was great to have on hand and not need to go looking although it's probably much easier to find hot water at the China Pavilion than it was in actual China. :)

Baby carriers were a life saver. If you have more than one I'd take both, both for your sake and the baby.

Enjoy!! You'll have a great time with your entire family!

I stayed at Pop last April and fridge was complimentary as I had the baby and needed it for baby food and formula. I can't see them charging you for the fridge when you have a baby with you.

Are they only complimentary for families with babies or are all fridges at value resorts now complimentary? 2 years ago we had to pay for one, but we didn't have a baby with us.

Thank you all for the tips!! I appreciate them :)

Do i call POP directly or the WDW hotline to get a fridge on the request?

I Love the baggies and clothes in them idea! And also the sending a box down. So you havent had any issues with them losing it or it not being there when you got there? How do I know where to send a box too? Sorry for so many questions.. I have just never done it or been there :)

We are flying down, but plan to have a rental car when we get there. I am off to start making some lists of things we need! :)

Are they only complimentary for families with babies or are all fridges at value resorts now complimentary? 2 years ago we had to pay for one, but we didn't have a baby with us.
I believe they're only complimentary for families with babies. I had anticipated paying the $10/day fee but was told if it was for baby formula it was complimentary.

If you'll have a rental car, I would just stop at a store on the way to the resort instead of shipping stuff down. We're doing a towncar service instead of DME partly so we can stop by the store for diapers/wipes which are really heavy to pack or ship!

I Love the baggies and clothes in them idea! And also the sending a box down. So you havent had any issues with them losing it or it not being there when you got there? How do I know where to send a box too? Sorry for so many questions.. I have just never done it or been there :)

I think to be on the safe side I could call 1-407-WDISNEY and have them add the fridge request to your reservation. I was not told at the time of requesting it with my reservation that it was complimentary but rather given that bonus when checking in.

The address for Pop Century is:
1050 Century Drive
Lake Buena Vista, FL 32830
Phone: 407-938-4000

I sent a package to friends who were staying at a Disney resort but it arrived mid-trip so don't have any experience with sending it early. I'm guessing if you call the resort directly (number above) they could give you some guidance as to how best to do this.

Another item I took to China which that was a huge help was a stainless steel bowl for washing my DD's bottles and nipples. It was much cleaner to wash them in that than the sink where everybody washed their hands and brushed their teeth. Don't forget a little bottle of dish soap in your box.

If I think of other things I'll let you know.

This is our first trip to disney. We leave in 1 month and I am starting to panic at all the things we need to pack, bring, buy and get together. How do you manage the stress as well as what to do first? Is there a timeline of things to do???

What we do first is check in (LOL) & then go for a swim. After getting up early for the plane we are all so excited (OK I am excited & my kids are, not sure about my dh!!). So we veg out by the pool & swim. We get lunch if needed, the last time I packed a bag of pepperoni that didn't need to be refrigerated & had ritz crackers so my kids ate that while I checked in.

We go to Chef Mickey's for dinner that night & then return back to the Poly to swim, watch the water parade & wishes & then go to bed.

I just had a baby a month ago ( second one), other dd is 4.5 and I am overwhelmed. AHHHH. I am excited to get away from it all though and head to florida stat!

Enjoy, don't forget sunscreen & a hat for your baby (and 2 yo too).

So are there things you would say are must haves for an infant, us as parents, the 4 year old?

I put my wipes in a zip lock bag. The travel wipes containers didn't hold much but I could put a whole package of wipes in that zip lock bag. I used them for their main purpose as well as wiping down hands & faces after eating (dh & my face as well!).

I also brought chlorox wipes for the tables (my son has food allergies so I liked to make sure as much dairy was wiped off the table as possible).

I used the table toppers & the toilet seat covers (forget their name).

Hats, sun screens, spray bottle *unless you want to buy an overpriced Disney one.

For one trip my oldest (now nearly 10) was 15 mo old. She ate like a bird so I brought a cooler, small zip lock bags & an ice pack & would take her leftovers vs throwing them away for her next meal.

We had strollers for all our kids (even my then 7 yo begged for the stroller).

We took breaks for us & the kids back at our room every day.

We plan at least one day of no park in the middle just to rest, 2 days if it is a longer trip.

If it is hot, as minimal clothing as possible-like the little onsie outfits for the baby & tanks for your 4 yo.

Comfortable shoes that you are not breaking in on your Disney trip.

We shipped down as much stuff as we could ahead of time. About a month prior I would mark down how many diapers I used in a day for a few days & then take the average & multiply that by how many days we went for plus adding another day to ship & then I'd take a day with me on the plane.

Use the baby changing stations. They are a great place to cool off & everyone can take that bathroom break.

I brought my own thin blanket to use in the public bathrooms at the changing stations to put the baby on while changing. It was thin & not bulky which was a plus.

We also shipped down snacks & breakfast. My kids all eat while my dh & I shower. I shower first & dh slowly wakes up. Once I am out of the shower the kids are starting to wake & he helps them brush & gives them breakfast. I then slather them with sun screen & hats for the day.

We bring water into the parks. I need to find a thermos that is attached to a lanyard for my next trip that keeps the water cold (like the thermos funtainers my kids have).

Tips on packing so much?

I pack as little as possible. We are a family of 5 & my last Disney trip, we had 2 checked bags, one mid sized & one small. I bring/ship laundry detergent. I do a load of laundry every day during our mid day break. We shower twice a day on park days & OK non park days too so we change our clothes twice.

Just pack sun screen!

Do our park tickets get sent to us or do we pick them up somewhere?

Not sure. The last few times I have bought them from AAA & then I have them transferred to my room card if they are able to when I check in. So maybe when you check in.

Do I call the hotel or a WDW agent to request that we have a pack n play and fridge ( we are at pop and need to pay for one)?

Yes

So many things on my mind! This month is going to fly by!

It is but remember you won't see or do everything & don't try to. One year before my dh & I had kids we went. We left Epcot to go back to the Poly. We were on the monorail with a family of 4. The mom had her itinerary & was telling the dad that we had to be at XYZ by 2 & then after that they had to be somewhere else.

So I try to tell people who have never gone or who haven't been since they added Epcot that there is alot to see & they won't see it all & don't try to see it all. You will be tired & more stressed.

Help! LOL I am so type A that just having a second baby is throwing me for a loop. I feel so unorganized and its not like me.

Have a 3rd & then your life will be back to normal again. LOL!! Just go, have fun & remember you are going for your kids (I assume).

Thank you all for the tips!! I appreciate them :)

We are flying down, but plan to have a rental car when we get there. I am off to start making some lists of things we need! :)

We used UPS to ship. We make sure it arrives the day before we get there. You will have a tracking number & if you are like me you will get geekly excited when you see your stuff has ARRIVED at LAKE BUENA VISTA (or does it say WALT DISNEY WORLD?).

I believe they're only complimentary for families with babies. I had anticipated paying the $10/day fee but was told if it was for baby formula it was complimentary.

YMMV on this. They are not automatically free when you travel with a baby. The value resorts offers complimentary fridges when medically necessary. Since they were intended to keep meds cold, you may get a small shoebox size one.

Appoligize to your husband in advance and give his some direction ahead of time what he can do to help you with the kids.

We're going down next month also with a 4 year old and 10 month old. I think one thing that is going to save us a lot of annoyance is I rented a double stroller from Magic Strollers. We're driving so it is going to save us so much room in the car.

We're bringing our Ergo carrier also. Although with the heat I'm not sure how much we'll actually use it.

Make a list and then bring extra. Get a big sun hat for baby.

Take breaks out of the sun.

Use the baby care centers for nursing/bottle feeding. If you're bottle feeding you might want to bring bottled water cause the FL water is kind of gross.

Stroller fan or misting fan would be handy to bring.

I make lots of lists. Not related directly to the baby but I used a touring plan on our first trip and it really helped us out.

As for the baby, a baby carrier of some kind is essential IMO! We used a maya wrap and an ergo with our 5mo and the next year just the ergo when she was 14mo. I also loved having my bebe au lait nursing cover. I found the walk to the baby care center not worth it (it's a loooooong walk if you're on the opposite end of any of the parks) and was much happier just finding a bench in the shade when DD needed to nurse.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter