So. Louisiana to Fort Wilderness

deera

Earning My Ears
Any so Louisiana campers? What is a good stopover place?? Hoping to leave Friday afternoon and stop for a few hours that night.
Thanks! We are very excited. This is our first trip to FW. May 21-28.
Dee

We plan on camping the next time we go to WDW! I don't know much about it, though. I'm from Louisiana too and just wanted to say hi!

deera: where do you think you will end up the first night? And I guess you will be traveling I-10.

We went south through Alabama one time and stayed at the KOA on I-10 in Florida. It was fine for an overnight.

I was thinking somewhere around Tallahassee. DH says we won't make it that far. Sooooooo....maybe somewhere an hour or so before that?

We will be leaving from Slidell to FW in October and plan on driving straight through. To me, it's not worth stopping.

deera said:
I was thinking somewhere around Tallahassee. DH says we won't make it that far. Sooooooo....maybe somewhere an hour or so before that?

We have stayed at the Dove Rest RV Park in Marianna, which is about an hour before Tallahassee. It's okay, nothing special. I'm not sure about their late check-in procedure (I think you mentioned you would be leaving Friday afternoon?). Our favorite place to stay on the way to WDW is the Tallahassee RV Park. It's right off I-10, a nice clean place with many pull through sites and very easy check-in if you get there after office hours (7:00pm). Our trips differ from yours in that we always leave home (the New Orleans area) on Saturday morning, stop for lunch in Pensacola and continue on to Tallahassee for the night. The best part about staying in Tallahassee is that you are that much closer to WDW the next morning. :-)

The phone number for Dove Rest is 850-482-5313. The number for Tallassee RV Park is 850-878-7641 and their website is www.tallahasseervpark.com

Teamfour said:
We will be leaving from Slidell to FW in October and plan on driving straight through. To me, it's not worth stopping.

We've already been on the road for at least 45 minutes by the time we reach Slidell. :-) Even more important than the extra 45 minutes to an hour (depending on traffic) is the fact that I am still a towing wimp. My poor husband has to do all the driving so we factor in a nice long lunch stop and stay in Tallahassee overnight. If we could switch off drivers, we might be tempted to try a straight shot also. Oh well, I'm just so happy to be at WDW, it doesn't matter that it takes us an extra day.

Teamfour said:

Lee,
We are about an hour farther than you (Hammond area) and have driven through a few times (without camper) but last time we went we stopped for the night and just found it much more relaxing. This is our first time going to Disney with the camper. We want to be there Saturday morning but not drive all night. We went in October before and it was PERFECT!! The weather was still warm enough to swim and the crowds weren't bad at all!
Dee

Thanks! That's exactly what I needed to know. I really think that we will make it to Tallahassee and then stop but it might be after hours so a place with after hours check-in AND pull-thru (my DH will be thrilled and I won't have to get yelled at :Pinkbounc )!! Am I timing this wrong?? I want to be in Tallahassee for the night like you do (only Friday instead of Saturday). How long does it take you from New Orleans to Tallahassee. also Tallahassee to Disney. I want to be at Disney by 11:00 or 12:00 noon. I'm going to check out the website for the Tallahassee RV park. Thanks a bunch! BTW we are coming from the Albany area if you know where that is?
Dee

Dee, I have never towed to WDW. We were going to leave on Sunday, but now we may leave on Saturday and make the stop. Thanks for the info Dee & CampingCat.

deera said:
Thanks! That's exactly what I needed to know. I really think that we will make it to Tallahassee and then stop but it might be after hours so a place with after hours check-in AND pull-thru (my DH will be thrilled and I won't have to get yelled at :Pinkbounc )!!

Have you discovered how wonderful walkie-talkies are for avoiding those arguments? :-)

The latest we have gotten there was around 2:00 in the morning but with the pull through sites and the ease of hooking up (we don't unhitch, just hook up the electricity and water), I don't think we woke anyone up. :-)

deera said:
Am I timing this wrong?? I want to be in Tallahassee for the night like you do (only Friday instead of Saturday). How long does it take you from New Orleans to Tallahassee. also Tallahassee to Disney. I want to be at Disney by 11:00 or 12:00 noon. I'm going to check out the website for the Tallahassee RV park. Thanks a bunch! BTW we are coming from the Albany area if you know where that is?
Dee

We drive pretty slow so it taskes us about 8 hours to Tallahassee (including fuel stops) and another 5 hours the next morning (also including a fuel stop).

P.S....I know exactly where Albany is! We have property out on Highway 42, a few miles west of Springfield where we spend weekends. Hi neighbor! :-)

Teamfour said:
Dee, I have never towed to WDW. We were going to leave on Sunday, but now we may leave on Saturday and make the stop. Thanks for the info Dee & CampingCat.
Lee, I don't think you'll be sorry. We usually arrive at Fort Wilderness around 11:00am to noon, rested after a good night's sleep, and have plenty of time to check in and set up camp. After showers, we are ready to take on the World. :-)

Camping Cat said:
Lee, I don't think you'll be sorry. We usually arrive at Fort Wilderness around 11:00am to noon, rested after a good night's sleep, and have plenty of time to check in and set up camp. After showers, we are ready to take on the World. :-)

Jan, sounds like a plan. Do you stop on the way back as well?

We aren't planning to stop on the way back because we'll be leaving in the morning and just hope to be home that evening not too late. I don't drive so poor DH has to drive the whole way but he drove last summer to Gatlinburg in one day (and back) so he can handle it.
Jan, I'm wondering too. Do you stop on the way back?

Camping Cat said:
Have you discovered how wonderful walkie-talkies are for avoiding those arguments? :-)

We've discovered them but I just can't seem to grasp the concept of directing!?! :crazy:

Thanks a bunch, Jan. You gave me the info I needed (and hubby has been asking for). It may be his job to drive us there but it's mine to plan, reserve, map, etc.

Dee

deera said:
We aren't planning to stop on the way back because we'll be leaving in the morning and just hope to be home that evening not too late. I don't drive so poor DH has to drive the whole way but he drove last summer to Gatlinburg in one day (and back) so he can handle it.
Jan, I'm wondering too. Do you stop on the way back?
Yes, we do. Again in Tallahassee. We're not as young as we used to be and need the rest. :-)

deera said:
Thanks a bunch, Jan. You gave me the info I needed (and hubby has been asking for). It may be his job to drive us there but it's mine to plan, reserve, map, etc.

Dee
Planning is my favorite part of the trip! I am so into planning and dreaming about WDW. I'd better be....I've been on the planning committee for the big annual RADP December Meet since 1998. My husband is happy to leave it in my hands. I'll ask him if he wants to try any new restaurants this trip, and I ask him if it's a meet we have to sign up for in advance. But other than that, he's content to let me drag him from meet to meet. :-) I've never let him down yet...he always has a great time...hehe.

Hi New Orleans area people...I don't have much to add, I agree with stopping in Tallahassee... was just wondering where you guys were the past 3 years when I lived in New Orleans (back in FL now, and living full-time in my RV). Everybody I met thought I was crazy for being a Disney fanatic :confused3 Anyway, if anybody wants to meet up while you're down here let me know, I miss New Orleans terribly.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter