So...Is it Worth it?

kollegekreed

Earning My Ears
Let me set the scene. Never, ever been to California. Stuck in the frigid tundra that is the northeast under 8 feet of snow. Scheduled a very last minute trip out west this coming Friday. Vegas Friday-Monday, and then driving over to the Anaheim/LA area (option 1) or the San Diego area (option 2). Im using Marriot points either way so it doesnt matter which one I settle on, really...as long as theres some sun.

Im a big Disney guy. I love the Florida version and would really like to see the Cali siblings. From what im reading, there are a lot of big attractions closed. Is it worth it to pay almost $100/day to visit at this point with the refurbs? Or are there other things I should do with 3 days in the area?

Many thanks for any thoughts you provide!

I would say to hit DL anyways with the refurbs. We still have a lot of fun and DCA has a lot of rides open.

It's still worth it. Granted I'm loyal to DL through and through as it's my home park. But still...totally worth it. There are plenty of rides still available even with the refurbs. It seems like a lot, but remember that DL has nearly as many rides as WDW, just packed into a much smaller area. And you can enjoy the weather. Even if it's raining, it's better than what's going on in the northeast.

Yes, hit DLR! Plus DCA has cars land and Radiator Springs is so fun. Indiana Jones at DLR is also a favorite. I have been to DLR many times during large refurbishments and never once thought I shouldn't have made the trip.

San Diego is nice too, but it's no Disneyland!

You will have such a great time!

I say your timeing is right.
Vegas for the weekend and SoCal for a few days during the week.

I'd choose Disney over San Diego.
Disneyland on weekdays isn't as crowded.
Even though there are refurbishments taking place, you'll have the oportunity to compare many East to West attractions.

Good luck on your flights out of the SNOW ZONE.

Geemo

Thanks for the replies so far. Since many of you are local: I assumed SD was an "Easy" drive, but im being told...not so much.

Is it advisable / AndOr / stupid to go from LAS - San Diego on Monday 3/2, do San Diego zoo on 3/3, trek up to LA area that night and do Disney on Wednesday?

A bad day at Disneyland is better than a good day at work. Between San Diego and DL, I would pick DL hands down.

If you're only going to DL for one day, then yes, it's worth it. You won't be able to get everything done in one day, and there are plenty of great choices still available (Radiator Springs Racers, Haunted Mansion, Space Mountain, Star Tours, Pirates, Alice, Mr. Toad, etc., etc.). You'll find plenty to fill a day, even with the closures. (And many of the closures are rides you may be somewhat familiar with - despite some differences - from WDW anyway, like Peter Pan and Soarin.)

Definitely worth going to DL for sure. Yes there are attractions closed for refurb but still lots to see and do.

Our family would choose DL over SD in a heartbeat.......good luck with your decision:thumbsup2

Definitely go see Walt's original park. You'll be going into it with open eyes about the refurbishments, so I think you'll be fine. It will all be new to you, so plenty of things to focus on beyond the things that are closed. Be sure to get a photo in front of the castle tarp!

Thanks for the replies so far. Since many of you are local: I assumed SD was an "Easy" drive, but im being told...not so much.

Is it advisable / AndOr / stupid to go from LAS - San Diego on Monday 3/2, do San Diego zoo on 3/3, trek up to LA area that night and do Disney on Wednesday?
I'd skip San Diego and go from LAS to Disney. Do 2 days at the park. I wouldn't waste the extra time driving to SD just for the zoo. It's not worth it.

I would skip San Diego and just do Disneyland. Driving to San Diego is mostly annoying and frustrating, at least coming from the Los Angeles area. The zoo is nice, but it honestly takes more than one day to cover that zoo. It's just huge. Plus, even though it's huge, it's a zoo. I'm sure you have zoos in your state. I'd do a couple of days at Disney instead.

It will all be new to you, so plenty of things to focus on beyond the things that are closed. Be sure to get a photo in front of the castle tarp!

To paraphrase your title, "It is SO worth it!"

One thing never changes -- location, location, location!

Stay at one of the three on-property resorts if you can... the convenience factor of being able to walk everywhere is definitely a plus!

Imagine -- park hopping in 10 minutes, back to the room in 10 minutes, getting to DTD in 10 minutes (or less)...

We were there last month for 5 days and some rides were closed but it was still a great trip!

Have you been to Vegas before? 4 days is a long time in Vegas. I know some people have lots of things they want to do there, but I know many more who struggle by the 3rd day there. Personally, I'd do SD, then 2 day PH at Disney. Especially for a solo trip you don't need 3 full days mid-week in February to go through the CA parks. But, it's also not that hard to add a day trip to LA or SD from Anaheim.

Have you been to Vegas before? 4 days is a long time in Vegas. I know some people have lots of things they want to do there, but I know many more who struggle by the 3rd day there. Personally, I'd do SD, then 2 day PH at Disney. Especially for a solo trip you don't need 3 full days mid-week in February to go through the CA parks. But, it's also not that hard to add a day trip to LA or SD from Anaheim.
I disagree with this. There is plenty to do in Las Vegas, solo or otherwise. I could easily spend 4 days there, and I've been there many times. Same with Disneyland. I spent four full days in the parks last July and loved every minute. Now I live here, so I don't need to spend that many days in a row at the parks. But I do get over there every other week, at least.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter