So (IF) CM's decided to strike...

I don't know ... I worked three jobs (an assistantship, weekends at a restaurant and 30 hrs/wk at a front desk) in addition to a full time load at grad school. Never got below a B+ (and I'm STILL mad about that!).

:earsboy:

and if you had worked less hours that B+ may have been an A

Well, if WESH TV is accurate, you don't need to worry. They just reported that Disney reached a tentative agreement with the largest union representing 20,000 employees.

I don't trust any of the local Orlando TV stations to be accurate. Most of them should be ashamed to call themselves reporters, since they do a lot more creating news than telling about it.

so part-time workers aren't union members? when i was part-time in the movie business (for over 30 years) even we had to join the union. i was in local 396 of IATSE

Part time workers can be in the union. I know quite a few.

Liz

and if you had worked less hours that B+ may have been an A
It has been my experience that the busier someone is, the more they accomplish. Seems to be much better time management. I know that my dd gets much better grades when she is ridiculously busy with other stuff. She doesn't put stuff off, gets to it rather than procrastinating. I'm sure the CP kids would be just fine.

Have to agree with the reporting coverage though. The media does seem to have their own 'slant' to the news.

You of course are wrong. Scab is a real term for people who cross the picket line to work in jobs held by strikers. Without the power to strike we who do most of the working would have to take what management offers, and wages for us would be worse. Your opinion adds nothing to this discussion.

Really because I am from south Louisiana and unions are not big there at all and if that was always the case you would think that unions would have formed and there would be billboards with rats everywhere calling out non union companies like there are here in KY . I am sure my opinion adds nothing to the discussion since it is not the same as yours but I thought I would put it out there just the same.

The SCABS are the people who are striking, not the people who are trying to work for a living.

You of course are wrong. Scab is a real term for people who cross the picket line to work in jobs held by strikers. Without the power to strike we who do most of the working would have to take what management offers, and wages for us would be worse. Your opinion adds nothing to this discussion.

Neither does the use of the word "Scabs". Welcome to the 21st Century. These are people that disagree, for whatever reason, to the concept of striking or supporting a strike at this time or for this particular reason. These are people that have families that need to be housed, fed, clothed and cared for. These are people that just need the income. Your concerns, as a paid employee, are not their concerns. You decided that you would give up your income (or part of it) because of some cause that you possess, not them.

In today's world of high unemployment perhaps the timing of a strike is not the best. The purpose of the strike is to bring management to it's knees, but when there is a line a mile long outside looking for a job, the power is not in your court. A union is only as strong as it's force in the company. If you occupy a job that is replaceable within a couple of days, perhaps you need to look outside that company for a better position, but the facts of life are that if you are not a highly trained, educated and skilled professional, chances are you have no strength at all.

BTW, I am neither pro nor anti Union. I hold a Teamster card and have been in Management, so I have seen both sides. Each has it's good and bad. Lately, it just seems that the unions have been way out of line and not in tune with the reality of the times. In other words, they have done more harm then good in many cases.

As a side note, I always wondered how they came up with the word "scab" since a scab is a necessary part of healing...it doesn't seem to make sense.

I would think they could also call in their seasonal employees to help cover. Like others have said as well.... in these times where it is hard to find any job at all I have to believe a lot of workers would cross the picket line.

Plus if there are 4 different unions and three have accepted then there wouldn't be everyone walking anyway.

I wouldn't cross a picket line, even as a guest. There's no way I'd empower management and scabs. And as far as there being no need for unions in LA, hence they've never formed. That's terribly flawed logic. There hasn't been much unionizing in the south as a whole. It's all historical. The south always had a higher rate of unemployment than reported due to businesses not hiring blacks. The officials generally didn't regard black unemployment the same as white unemployment so the numbers would become artificially low. So the threat, either perceived or real, was that if you were to unionize and/or strike, there were tons of folks out there to step into your job. Without mass unionization of other crafts (truckers, railroad workers, longshoremen, etc), there would be on extra, outside pressure on the businesses to bargain with the workers. Not to mention that there have been major union-busting campaigns in the south. Lack of unions in LA isn't from lack of need. It's from lack of success. It's like a cure for cancer, it's needed, but we haven't figured out how to get it yet.

I wouldn't cross a picket line, even as a guest. There's no way I'd empower management and scabs. And as far as there being no need for unions in LA, hence they've never formed. That's terribly flawed logic. There hasn't been much unionizing in the south as a whole. It's all historical. The south always had a higher rate of unemployment than reported due to businesses not hiring blacks. The officials generally didn't regard black unemployment the same as white unemployment so the numbers would become artificially low. So the threat, either perceived or real, was that if you were to unionize and/or strike, there were tons of folks out there to step into your job. Without mass unionization of other crafts (truckers, railroad workers, longshoremen, etc), there would be on extra, outside pressure on the businesses to bargain with the workers. Not to mention that there have been major union-busting campaigns in the south. Lack of unions in LA isn't from lack of need. It's from lack of success. It's like a cure for cancer, it's needed, but we haven't figured out how to get it yet.

Yes and I think the UAW should be the model for those states who you claim NEED unions since they are pros at blackmailing and bullying tactics. I really hope that all of you who have such strong principles about not crossing the picket line remember that if a strike does indeed happen because then maybe the rest of us who go with our vacations can actually get to ride TSM without the morning run to get a FP.

The SCABS are the people who are striking, not the people who are trying to work for a living.

I see a couple of posters have already corrected your statement. The term SCABs refers to workers who cross a picket line and replaces a worker on strike.

I haven't followed the contract negotiations. I have no idea if management, or the union, is being unreasonable. For that matter I have no idea if both sides are being somewhat reasonable and what we're seeing is negotiations.

I know Disney profits are up and Mr. Iger is well paid. No reason why the CMs who are trying to work for a living shouldn't be properly paid.

Yep, that would be an issue, to say the least. Can you just imagine bringing in drivers who are not familier with the roads there??? It would be a nightmare.

Finding a large number of bus drivers, with a CDL, wouldn't be easy. Hiring "regular" people and paying them to go to school to get a CDL license would take time. At least a month, closer to two.

Finding drivers willing to cross a Teamster picket line may be a real challenge.

Teaching new drivers the roads at Disney would be the least of the problem.

Mears could supply some drivers. I don't know if Mears is unionized. Not sure if Mears would be willing to supply drivers who would cross a Teamsters picket line.

Replacing waiters, cooks and even ride operators would be relatively easy. Temporarily replacing monorail and boat service with bus service is doable. Replacing striking bus drivers might be impossible.

Finding a large number of bus drivers, with a CDL, wouldn't be easy. Hiring "regular" people and paying them to go to school to get a CDL license would take time. At least a month, closer to two.

Finding drivers willing to cross a Teamster picket line may be a real challenge.

Teaching new drivers the roads at Disney would be the least of the problem.

Mears could supply some drivers. I don't know if Mears is unionized. Not sure if Mears would be willing to supply drivers who would cross a Teamsters picket line.

Replacing waiters, cooks and even ride operators would be relatively easy. Temporarily replacing monorail and boat service with bus service is doable. Replacing striking bus drivers might be impossible.

And there you have an example of trained professionals that are not easily replaced...they have more power, but nothing is cast in stone with them either. The problem is that many, out of absolute necessity, would be forced to cross the picket line. They might not want to, but they may need too. Again the economy dictates how people react to these situations.

I'm not saying anyone else should cancel. Just that I don't think I'd enjoy myself with all that going on and I would have guilt over crossing a picket line. Not everyone cares about that and I respect their opinion.

As much as I would love to live close to WDW, I would never move down south for the reason a PP mentioned.. Wages are low and they tend to be very anti-union. I've heard Texas is a bad place to work too from several nurse friends who have lived there.

:thumbsup2 Excellent points.

I know Disney profits are up and Mr. Iger is well paid. No reason why the CMs who are trying to work for a living shouldn't be properly paid.

Walt Disney Co. Profits were up as an entity. Parks & Resorts income was down 7% year over year, but still profitable. (per 10Kfiling)

With that being said if the CM's feel the need to picket or strike I have no problems with that as long as it is done within the law. This is America and they have the right to legally protest if they feel they are being treated unfairly.

We are going in March and will go to the parks strike or not.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter