So I just got a package from ABD... and NEWS! (sort of)

"Disney does not seem to care about its loyal guests"

I disagree with the underlying premise. What is it that everyone wants?

I don't accept the swipe at Disney that they (whoever that is) "don't care"--the Disney empire has been, and remains, family fun, attention to detail etc.

This goes back to that demand for more--but why? At who's expense? I just haven't seen a lack of detail nor a diversion from the basic principles of Disney quality--and I've enjoyed each and every trip, even with the unexpected events you should expect from group travel. Do you REALLY believe that there lurks within the front office or in the PR section people out to sabatoge ABD? Or that they are somehow unaware of the need to customer loyalty (marketing 101)??

Sorry to vent a little--but come on already!

AbD is merely a small unit within the Walt Disney Company, which is an enormous corporation with a primary goal of keeping share prices high and their stockholders happy. Everything is about PROFIT (not that that's a bad thing).

We have taken 3 Tauck trips (as opposed to 6 AbDs) and they regularly send us emails and correspondence thanking us for being past Tauck guests and are currently offering 2 free hotel nights (they offer one free night to new guests), which is A LOT more than what Disney has offered us.

In addition, we pay premium prices for an AbD trip, so why shouldn't we expect more??? If it weren't for those amazing AbD guides, we would never consider taking another AbD...

I think what bothers me the most is that ABD is now run by the same people who run DCL. And DCL is all about achieving status in their "Castaway Club" to get special perks. It's really straight-forward. X-number of cruises = whatever-color Castaway Club status. Now, granted, most of the perks are things like first stab at Palo reservations and excursions, which doesn't translate well to ABD. But they recognize that people like that recognition, and respond to it. I don't get why they don't seem to get it here. And that what they *are* offering is so spotty and relatively meaningless.

Sorry, folks. I got home late this evening & last, and haven't had a chance to call my "concierge" yet. Well, actually, I have. I called the main number, and the office is closed. So just for the heck of it, I called the concierge number. I've been on hold with Disney musak for 23 minutes. I'm pretty sure they're closed, too. But I'm going to let it play for a while. (Heck, it's an 866 number, and the Disney musak is fun!) They'll hear about this from me tomorrow, too!

I agree. It's mostly the Adventure Guides that keep me coming back. Without that, they haven't got a whole lot over Tauck...

And still no email here.

Sayhello

HappyGrumpy, I didn't get the VIP package either. I did receive the email this time, and usually I don't get them. But the offer is available even if you didn't receive the email. When I scroll down to the bottom of this page (meaning the one your're looking at right now), I see an ad for the Visa Gift Card Offer and you can just click on it and get to the webpage. So you don't need the email, but I know what you mean about inconsistency. I never got the return guest off email last year, when so many others did. Luckily I have this board to let me know what I'm missing.
I still don't understand where you're seeing the offer for the Visa Gift Card. I don't see a link anywhere... :confused3

Sayhello

55 minutes on hold, then transferred to a survey that hung up on me! Sounds like VIP access really blows!

Sayhello

I still don't understand where you're seeing the offer for the Visa Gift Card. I don't see a link anywhere... :confused3

Sayhello

The advertisement changes frequently, so right now I'm seeing an ad for Free Dining at WDW. But I did see the gift card offer earlier...

The advertisement changes frequently, so right now I'm seeing an ad for Free Dining at WDW. But I did see the gift card offer earlier...
Oh, you know what? I bet Firefox is blocking the Ad! I'll have to fire up Internet Explorer and see what I see!

Sayhello

ETA: Still seeing nothing. Huh. Wonder if IE blocks it, too? Weird.

Oh, you know what? I bet Firefox is blocking the Ad! I'll have to fire up Internet Explorer and see what I see!

Sayhello

ETA: Still seeing nothing. Huh. Wonder if IE blocks it, too? Weird.

I had it all day yesterday at home and work, using IE both places, but maybe your security setting are different. I did have a different ABD ad once last night for a few minutes. I can see the Visa gift card ad now. And I saw repeatedly on the rotating ad on my comcast and yahoo email. You'll probably see it eventually. But so you don't have to wait...

http://abd.disney.go.com/abd/en_US/index?name=VisaGCOfferPage&cid=16557&CMP=EMC-ABDFY11Q1FREEVISAGCBREM10004

Our Tauck guide was great too, and I heard from other guests that the guides on their previous trips were fantastic. Tauck guides (tour directors, I should say) don't have quite as much time to spend with individual guests, since there is only one, but ours did a very good job. And she did give a lot of attention to the guests - making dinner reservations, entertaining the kids on the bus, having contests to entertain everybody.

Just another general comment...I see loyalty programs everywhere - airlines, other travel companies, grocery and department stores, restaurants. It's a common practice to reward loyal customers. I guess Disney thinks they can rely on their name and I suppose they can. Personally, while loyalty programs certainly aren't the only factor in my decision making, they do affect my choices. Our Tauck trip was on a par with ABD, so price differences and rewards are definitely a factor in the choice between the two. And if Lindblad measures up that throws another contender into the ring for my repeat business. I'm willing to give other companies a try too. If ABD had a good loyalty program I would have never considered the other companies.

I had it all day yesterday at home and work, using IE both places, but maybe your security setting are different. I did have a different ABD ad once last night for a few minutes. I can see the Visa gift card ad now. And I saw repeatedly on the rotating ad on my comcast and yahoo email. You'll probably see it eventually. But so you don't have to wait...

http://abd.disney.go.com/abd/en_US/...id=16557&CMP=EMC-ABDFY11Q1FREEVISAGCBREM10004

Our Tauck guide was great too, and I heard from other guests that the guides on their previous trips were fantastic. Tauck guides (tour directors, I should say) don't have quite as much time to spend with individual guests, since there is only one, but ours did a very good job. And she did give a lot of attention to the guests - making dinner reservations, entertaining the kids on the bus, having contests to entertain everybody.

Just another general comment...I see loyalty programs everywhere - airlines, other travel companies, grocery and department stores, restaurants. It's a common practice to reward loyal customers. I guess Disney thinks they can rely on their name and I suppose they can. Personally, while loyalty programs certainly aren't the only factor in my decision making, they do affect my choices. Our Tauck trip was on a par with ABD, so price differences and rewards are definitely a factor in the choice between the two. And if Lindblad measures up that throws another contender into the ring for my repeat business. I'm willing to give other companies a try too. If ABD had a good loyalty program I would have never considered the other companies.
Thanks, Bobo912. Although the offer is, of course, showing up on the main page of ABD's website now.

I'm really looking forward to your report on Lindblad, because some of their trips look really fabulous.

Sayhello

Thanks, Bobo912. Although the offer is, of course, showing up on the main page of ABD's website now.

I'm really looking forward to your report on Lindblad, because some of their trips look really fabulous.

Sayhello

The offer isn't in a very prominent place, is it? I didn't see it at first and I was specifically looking for it. The little box that pops up in the top frame that they've used before is more of an attention grabber.

BTW...I didn't get a water bottle from ABD, but I got a nice 2011 calendar from Tauck in the mail today.

I have high hopes for the Lindblad trip. I certainly hope it lives up to my expectations. FYI..they do have a loyalty progam that you are eligible for after completing 3 trips. The benefits are...

Savings on all future expeditions:
A 10% per person discount on any National Geographic/Lindblad Expeditions small-ship voyage
A 10% per person discount on any National Geographic Photography Workshop
$500 per person savings off all other international National Geographic Expeditions
$250 per person savings off all other domestic National Geographic Expeditions
Advance notice on upcoming new trips
Invitations to special expeditions not available to the public
Invitations to select National Geographic events and lectures around the country
Special offers on upcoming expeditions
Special email newsletters exclusively for Lifelong Explorers

So I join this forum just to post this link to the gift card offer, and it tells me I have to have a post count of 10. LOL.
I guess all I can tell you is it does exist.

ETA: It does say to call to book, so I guess you don't have to have actually seen the page, just mention the offer.

Our travel agent forwarded an email she got from ABD about the gift card. There were certain trips and dates included with the offer. I got the impression it was something offered to travel agents to offer to their clients. We tried to click on the link she sent and it asked for a travel agent user name and password.

Our travel agent forwarded an email she got from ABD about the gift card. There were certain trips and dates included with the offer. I got the impression it was something offered to travel agents to offer to their clients. We tried to click on the link she sent and it asked for a travel agent user name and password.

Just go to the link I posted above to see the offer. Or go to the ABD home page. The link to the offer is in the area below the European travel alert, where the brochure and trip selector links are located.

The offer isn't in a very prominent place, is it? I didn't see it at first and I was specifically looking for it. The little box that pops up in the top frame that they've used before is more of an attention grabber.

BTW...I didn't get a water bottle from ABD, but I got a nice 2011 calendar from Tauck in the mail today.

I have high hopes for the Lindblad trip. I certainly hope it lives up to my expectations. FYI..they do have a loyalty progam that you are eligible for after completing 3 trips. The benefits are...

Savings on all future expeditions:
A 10% per person discount on any National Geographic/Lindblad Expeditions small-ship voyage
A 10% per person discount on any National Geographic Photography Workshop
$500 per person savings off all other international National Geographic Expeditions
$250 per person savings off all other domestic National Geographic Expeditions
Advance notice on upcoming new trips
Invitations to special expeditions not available to the public
Invitations to select National Geographic events and lectures around the country
Special offers on upcoming expeditions
Special email newsletters exclusively for Lifelong Explorers

Now that's what I call a loyalty program!

While it's nice to see that AbD is offering a VISA Gift Card, it's definitely not as generous as other promotions.

For example, a family of 4 who books the "England and France Family Vacation" on a select departure will pay $17,356. So, if my math is correct, the $500 Gift Card amounts to less than a 3% discount. I guess it's better than nothing, but I miss the days when they offered the Early Booking and Loyalty Discounts...

Now that's what I call a loyalty program!

While it's nice to see that AbD is offering a VISA Gift Card, it's definitely not as generous as other promotions.

For example, a family of 4 who books the "England and France Family Vacation" on a select departure will pay $17,356. So, if my math is correct, the $500 Gift Card amounts to less than a 3% discount. I guess it's better than nothing, but I miss the days when they offered the Early Booking and Loyalty Discounts...
I miss the Early Booking discount; that was a good deal. But the $100 Loyalty Discount was a joke! And honestly, a little insulting, because they recognized the idea & the need for one, but then offered one that is of less value than the $500 Visa Gift Card...

Sayhello

I miss the Early Booking discount; that was a good deal. But the $100 Loyalty Discount was a joke! And honestly, a little insulting, because they recognized the idea & the need for one, but then offered one that is of less value than the $500 Visa Gift Card...

Sayhello

I didn't want to sound ungrateful for the measley $100 Loyalty Discount, but I have to agree with you... it was a little bit insulting. :rolleyes1

Sayhello

True it wasn't much of a reward for being a return customer, but when they had both the EBD and the loyalty discount they were combined and per person so it was a better deal for a family.

Sayhello

When are you going on your Knights & Lights adventure? Do you get the gift card before departure so that you can use it to buy stuff in London & Paris?

When are you going on your Knights & Lights adventure? Do you get the gift card before departure so that you can use it to buy stuff in London & Paris?
I'm going in September. :) It's the DIS Podcast trip, so since it's a Travel Agent's exclusive departure, it's not eligible for the Gift Card. Of course!

Sayhello

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter