So how many here collect press pennies?

NHMickey

<font color=red>I'm A Disneyana Collector!<font co
I see these machines everyplace and was just wondering how many here do it or have a family member that does... :)

I started collecting the pressed pennies the first time we went in 96 but only got a few. Each time I go I get more. It's one of my favorite things to look for.

I collect them. I like scouting out new machines. And the last few years they've been doing special series that are only available during whatever celebration is going on at the time. I've never completed a series, but it's fun looking for the machines to take a shot at it.

I got DH hooked a few years back --now whenever we hit WDW he printes of his checklist of machines and goes scounting. We started picking them up too at NON WDW locations as well. It is a cute and inexpensive souvinere (although on our last Disney trip we went through a roll of Pennies and about a roll and a half of quarters....)

When at Disneyland, you can get a free pressed penny from the bank on Main Street.

J&D thanks for that info. I never knew that.

Tara and I both have a pressed penny/quarter collection. I started getting them during the 25th anniversary celebration. I don't have a complete set of any of them, and basically just get the ones that I like.

We also get them from other places we visit. New York, Charleston, Statue of Liberty, and a few other places I can't remember now (oh yeah, and Universal!)

Great Question Nat. I see people asking about the machine locations here often.

Sue Ellen

The Ray and DS have a collection...they print out the locations and make the hunt part of the vacation! It is a really fun father/son thing and as has been said, inexpensive. I get DS for the the pin thing.....although we have gotten The Ray to the point of having his own pin book, so we may be in trouble for the next WDW trip! :rolleyes: :D

My DD Megan (5) has shown a lot of interest in the pressed penny machines, so we (me & her) are going to start a collection for her this next trip. Sounds like fun!!

Her favorite place in all of WDW is the kid's play area under the railroad bridge at Splash Mountain - and I know there is a pressed penny machine there. So it makes a great souvenir.

I know I read that the pre-1982 pennies work the best so we went through her piggy bank and got a big handful of those to take with us. Can someone post the link to the pressed penny website(s) so we can get some more tips before we go to WDW? Thanx much!

~Nancy~

my dw printed the pages for WDW only from the site (11 sheets). I counted the penny ones, about 175 molds (not machines, usually 2 or three molds per machine). There may be duplicates (I hope). We are planning on hunting them down this year. We have about 20 so far.

I hope she doesn't get hooked on the quarters.

my ds (age 11) COLLECTS THE PENNIES, HE ALSO BOUGHT A BOOK AT WDW AND KEEPS THEM NICE AND NEAT,IN CHARCTER AND PARK ORDER.THERE ARE ALSO SOME QUARTER MACHINES AND THERES A SPECIAL SLOT FOR THOSE. HE SAID ONCE ITS FULL THEY SHOULD GIVE YOU A FREE BOOK, (TOO FUNNY) I'M SURE BY OUR NEXT TRIP HE'LL HAVE TO BUY BOOK #2.

As a kid I used to get the pennies done at Busch Gardens quite a bit, but I found a few a little while back and they were EXTREMELY tarnished and nasty. Has anyone got any suggestions for storage?

TIA

Doug

I have the pennies from the 25th Anniversary. I had a ball going around to all the resorts collecting them. It gave me a chance to rest between parks and get to see all the resorts I have never been to. I made sure to take a little walk around each resort and check out the landscape and pools.

Doug,
. I read about an armoured truck that overturned and all the pennies in the truck fell into the mud. They scooped the pennies up and some retired guy is being paid to clean them. He said he went on the internet to see what solution would work best. He uses vinegar and table salt but if you use plain vinegar, or lemon juice it will get them nice and shiny. Any acid will workbut make sure you wear gloves. Peggie

Me and my boyfriend are WDW pressed penny and quarter collecting fanatics :) We usually devote one whole day of our WDW vacations to just going to the all of the resorts and pressing. We always take the check lists and keep track of the ones we need. We are very particular about what type of pennies and quarters we use for the presses so we can get a high quality press. We have hundreds of pressed pennies and quarters. We keep the good ones in coin holders in binders - complete with labels- and keep the extras in sandwich bags to sell or trade.

Are we dorks or what ? :D

I do!

I have about 40!

My fave one is one I got prior to the AK opening...its a quarter. It has the AK logo on it & says opening 1998. I luv it!

Buggin'
Amber :bounce:

My niece and nephew filled their book last year and now want to get more. Does anybody know the amount of pressed pennies and quarters that one of the books from WDW hold? Thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter